Tuesday 9th March 2010
The Coca Cola Championship
Loftus Road Stadium
Referee: P Tierney
Attendance: 12, 013
Queens Park Rangers 2-0 Plymouth Argyle
By The Godfather

Queens Park Rangers starting line-up: Ikeme, Stewart, Leigertwood, Gorkss, Connolly, Faurlin, Hill, Simpson, Ephraim, Priskin, Taraabt.

Plymouth Argyle starting line-up: Stockdale, Duguid, Flecther, Johnson, Mackie, Arnasson, Fallon, Barker, Sawyer, Eckersley, Judge.

As I expected, this match was very physical and aggressive. However, as Neil Warnock mentioned in his post-match interview, it was a "professional job" from QPR, who were by far the better side on the night. Adel Taraabt was the star of the show, scoring a penalty and then providing the assist for Damion Stewart's second-half goal. All in all, this was another promising display, and one that also marked the end of the Rs' embarrassing twenty-three game run without keeping a clean sheet.

Whilst there is an air of positivity on the WATRB forum, I would imagine that the mood is quite different on the Plymouth Argyle message boards. I have to say, the Pilgrims were very poor on Tuesday night, possibly being the worst Championship side I have seen this season. It isn't difficult to see why they are struggling at the foot of the table. Their one tactic seemed to consist of hoofing aimless long balls up to Rory Fallon, in the hope of forcing a mistake from Gorkss and Stewart. Fortunately, the two QPR centre-backs played very well, and Argyle were unable to carve out a clear-cut opportunity.

The one disappointing aspect of the match from QPR's perspective was the performance of Tamas Priskin. After playing slightly better last Saturday, I had been hopeful that he would knuckle down and really show some passion and creativity on Tuesday night. What I saw, though, was a lacklustre and, at times, pathetic display. It was almost as if the Hungarian thought he was playing in a pre-season friendly, wandering about doing very little indeed.

After an excellent performance on Saturday afternoon, I wasn't surprised to see Warnock stick with the same starting line-up. The formation, however, seemed to have changed to a more flexible 4-4-2 formation. Simpson started in attack, supported by Adel Taraabt who was operating in a kind of free role. Priskin seemed to play on the right flank for much of the game, sometimes cutting inside. Faurlin and Leigertwood occupied central midfield, whilst Hogan Ephraim started on the left wing. The back four consisted of Hill, Stewart, Gorkss and Connolly, behind which Ikeme continued in goal.

Rangers started the game strongly, and forced the first opportunity in the 12th minute. Ephraim pounced on a defensive error inside the Plymouth half, skipped a challenge and unleashed a shot on goal, which was saved comfortably by Stockdale.

Then, in the 17th minute, the Rs came close to taking the lead for a second time. On this occasion, it was Taraabt at the centre of the action, playing Simpson through on goal with a sublime ball. Unfortunately, under pressure from a defender, the Arsenal loanee could only drag his shot wide of the target.

At the other end, Argyle created their first (and only) chance of the game. Judge's well taken free kick found Kris Arnasson in the penalty area, but he sent his header flying over the crossbar.

Taraabt was causing problems once again in the 25th minute, receiving the ball on the edge of the box and, despite four players trying to tackle him, managing to shoot just wide of the goal. He probably should have passed, but it was an entertaining display of skill nonetheless.

Warnock's men finally got the goal their efforts deserved in the 34th minute, thanks to a spot-kick. When a long ball was sent into the box, Priskin appeared to be brought to the ground. The referee signalled for a penalty, which Taraabt coolly converted.

QPR had two opportunities to double their advantage before the half-time whistle. First, in the 39th minute, the unmarked Stewart somehow headed Taraabt's free kick over from a few yards out. Then, two minutes later, Ephraim's deflected cross somehow evaded Simpson.

Half-time scoreline: Queens Park Rangers 1-0 Plymouth Argyle.

Queens Park Rangers got the second half off to a superb start, doubling their advantage in the 48th minute. Taraabt was badly fouled on the left flank, with Karl Duguid fortunate to escape with only a yellow card. The Moroccan took the resulting set piece brilliantly, finding Damion Stewart completely unmarked, who headed the ball into the net.

Plymouth were now looking very vulnerable indeed, and QPR perhaps should have killed the game off in the 52nd minute when Adel Taraabt created yet another golden opportunity. Progressing down the left flank, the Moroccan cut the ball across the penalty area, finding Alejandro Faurlin. Unfortunately, the Argentinean blasted it over the crossbar.

Plymouth substitution Judge off for Bolasie (54 minutes).

Plymouth substitution: Fallon off for Mason (54 minutes).

I was delighted to see QPR continue to pile pressure upon the Plymouth defence, searching for a third. They almost got it in the 65th minute, when Mikele Leigertwood charged into the penalty area and smashed the ball across the face of the goal, finding Simpson. Unfortunately, the Arsenal loanee's effort bounced inches wide of Stockdale's left-hand post.

In the 72nd minute, Warnock made his first substitution of the match, bringing on Akos Buzsaky at the expense of Adel Taraabt. The Moroccan's performance was excellent, and it was not surprising that he left the pitch to a standing ovation. Hopefully he will continue to thrive under the leadership of Warnock. Five minutes later, Lee Cook replaced Hogan Ephraim, who had also produced a much-improved display.

The final opportunity came in the 78th minute - in quite bizarre fashion. A defensive mix-up between a defender and the Plymouth goalkeeper led to Simpson picking up the ball on the edge of the area, with the Argyle goal completely open. To my despair, however, the Arsenal loanee dragged his shot wide. He really should have done better. This was Jay's last contribution to the game, being replaced by Rowan Vine.

Bookings: QPR - Hill, Connolly.

Plymouth - Duguid, Eckersley, Barker.

Full-time scoreline: Queens Park Rangers 2-0 Plymouth Argyle

Man of the match: Adel Taraabt. As already mentioned, this was an excellent performance from the Moroccan. I was delighted by the fact that he looked to pass the ball more often, instead of trying to win the match himself. Let's hope this continues!