Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please delete my account

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Please delete my account

    Can an administrator please delete this account.
    Soldier: "im on reconnaissance sir.. im looking for our camouflage expert.. have you seen him?"
    Lovejoy: "No?!"
    Soldier: "GOD DAMNIT THAT GUYS GOOD!"

    Please Follow My Twitter

  • #2
    Originally posted by GaxZE View Post
    Can an administrator please delete this account.
    Unfortunately, we don't delete accounts.
    After a set period of time of not logging in, the account will become inactive.
    Minds Are Like Parachutes.
    Work Best When Open...
    @Nowt2SeeHere

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Fraggy View Post

      Unfortunately, we don't delete accounts.
      After a set period of time of not logging in, the account will become inactive.
      Why don't you delete accounts upon request? Surely I should have the ability to delete my own account if I wish.
      Soldier: "im on reconnaissance sir.. im looking for our camouflage expert.. have you seen him?"
      Lovejoy: "No?!"
      Soldier: "GOD DAMNIT THAT GUYS GOOD!"

      Please Follow My Twitter

      Comment


      • #4
        Sorry GaxZE, it's just the way it has always been.
        Can I ask why you want your account deleted?
        Minds Are Like Parachutes.
        Work Best When Open...
        @Nowt2SeeHere

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Fraggy View Post
          Sorry GaxZE, it's just the way it has always been.
          Can I ask why you want your account deleted?
          I think we're headed for a world where people expect to be able to delete accounts and all associated info.

          Problem is - as social media users are increasingly being made aware - it isn't quite that simple.

          My advice FWIW is to think extremely carefully about the implications of signing up to anything, and should you choose to do so to consider how you access t'web.

          There is no online privacy whatsoever. That should everyones default assumption.

          Comment


          • #6
            Have to agree Hal.
            Before leaving The UK, I worked in I.T., my advice to everyone back then, was don't ever keep anything on your computer that you don't want others to see or anything that you can not afford to lose. That was over 12 years ago.
            Minds Are Like Parachutes.
            Work Best When Open...
            @Nowt2SeeHere

            Comment


            • #7
              There#s nothing to worry about about, we only have your username and email. The password only you know, although I can reset it or change it for you.

              We do not pass or sell on anyone's details, never have or never will.

              Most people who want their account being deleted, either ending up staying or return at a later date.

              If you don't use your account for a number of years, it should become inactive. Deleting accounts also messes with the whole forum and every post you've ever made.

              Comment


              • #8
                My concerns as mentioned privately are privacy based. I also feel it should be my choice whether I want my account deleted or not, holding my username/email is significant enough. I don't understand the implications of my account's deletion and previous posts. I'm definitely sure that nobody has commented on a post I've made in a few years.
                Soldier: "im on reconnaissance sir.. im looking for our camouflage expert.. have you seen him?"
                Lovejoy: "No?!"
                Soldier: "GOD DAMNIT THAT GUYS GOOD!"

                Please Follow My Twitter

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by GaxZE View Post
                  My concerns as mentioned privately are privacy based. I also feel it should be my choice whether I want my account deleted or not, holding my username/email is significant enough. I don't understand the implications of my account's deletion and previous posts. I'm definitely sure that nobody has commented on a post I've made in a few years.
                  I'm nothing to do with admin here but I have some experience of V.Bulletin boards, and I know that complete deletion can throw the whole board into a flat spin, irrespective of whether or not you've been quoted or replied to. I can understand MYU's reluctance.

                  I also think you have a point though, and deletion requests everywhere are on the increase. With good reason, on the whole.

                  Maybe the answer is for people to be made aware of deletion options (or lack of them) on sign up? Just a few rambling thoughts that help neither party.......

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by hal9thou View Post

                    I'm nothing to do with admin here but I have some experience of V.Bulletin boards, and I know that complete deletion can throw the whole board into a flat spin, irrespective of whether or not you've been quoted or replied to. I can understand MYU's reluctance.

                    I also think you have a point though, and deletion requests everywhere are on the increase. With good reason, on the whole.

                    Maybe the answer is for people to be made aware of deletion options (or lack of them) on sign up? Just a few rambling thoughts that help neither party.......
                    The flaws of the software chosen, shouldn't result in me not being able to delete my account.
                    Soldier: "im on reconnaissance sir.. im looking for our camouflage expert.. have you seen him?"
                    Lovejoy: "No?!"
                    Soldier: "GOD DAMNIT THAT GUYS GOOD!"

                    Please Follow My Twitter

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I think Hal is correct, we should have some form of notice during sign up period advising that accounts cannot be deleted.
                      I don't believe this is an issue limited to just VB5.
                      Minds Are Like Parachutes.
                      Work Best When Open...
                      @Nowt2SeeHere

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Without wishing to be a complete #### I'm really surprised that accounts can't be deleted. Would it be possible if someone were wanting to delete their account, that all their posts stayed, but their username were changed to 'DeletedAccount', an email address of 'DeletedAccount@gmail.com' was saved and a password of 'Deleted' was stored. The messages wouldn't need to be changed, though every post by 'user' would become 'DeletedAccount' so that a users history could no longer be seen?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Southport View Post
                          Without wishing to be a complete #### I'm really surprised that accounts can't be deleted. Would it be possible if someone were wanting to delete their account, that all their posts stayed, but their username were changed to 'DeletedAccount', an email address of 'DeletedAccount@gmail.com' was saved and a password of 'Deleted' was stored. The messages wouldn't need to be changed, though every post by 'user' would become 'DeletedAccount' so that a users history could no longer be seen?
                          With GDPR coming into affect soon, I would've thought this stance of not deleting data would change. I just don't understand why I'm not allowed to delete my account should I choose to do so. I suppose it's probably something to do with numbers around advertising audience?
                          Soldier: "im on reconnaissance sir.. im looking for our camouflage expert.. have you seen him?"
                          Lovejoy: "No?!"
                          Soldier: "GOD DAMNIT THAT GUYS GOOD!"

                          Please Follow My Twitter

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Gax, as already explained, deleting an account, would remove all posts from that member, therefore affecting the structure of any threads that member had contributed to.
                            It has nothing to do with numbers or advertising.
                            we may look at Southports idea, but I am not privy to tbe back end admin stuff.
                            Minds Are Like Parachutes.
                            Work Best When Open...
                            @Nowt2SeeHere

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Are bulletin boards required to be GDPR compliant?

                              And if so, is part of that compliance acceding to deletion requests?

                              Who knows?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X