Big Pressure on Warburton This Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post

Austin and johansen are a big part of it but that’s far from the full story . What about Warburton bringing on the likes of Dieng and Chair , the inspired signings of Dickie and Willock and Barbet was a rock last season which was one of Warbs first signings on a free .When you add in the quality that has left the club in Eze , Bos , Wells , Hugill , Manning , Hall etc. . To say it has nothing to do with Warbs isn’t a fair comment.
    I agree with that, but also the change of formation to 3 CBs had a huge impact on our improved form (imo he could have done that earlier than after Christmas- although it really clicked after Austin and Johansen arrived).

Yes, he is under pressure , as he always was.
    The expectation for a promotion push is more from the fans , but I do think that the Board - having backed the new signings - are probably expecting it too.

For the first time since getting relegated I am hopeful of a good season with an expectation to be in and around the promotion places. The form of 2021 has been very good (odd blip aside) and barring an injury crisis I see no reason why we shouldn't carry that on.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post

I agree with that, but also the change of formation to 3 CBs had a huge impact on our improved form (imo he could have done that earlier than after Christmas- although it really clicked after Austin and Johansen arrived).

Yes, he is under pressure , as he always was.
      The expectation for a promotion push is more from the fans , but I do think that the Board - having backed the new signings - are probably expecting it too.

For the first time since getting relegated I am hopeful of a good season with an expectation to be in and around the promotion places. The form of 2021 has been very good (odd blip aside) and barring an injury crisis I see no reason why we shouldn't carry that on.
      Totally agree Stan , expectations are high and I see no reason looking at our squad why we can’t make top 6.

Comment

Warbs has installed a good team spirit . Players fighting for eachother , players finding that extra 10% . Austin and Johansen were massive but they didn't just happen they've both had to pull their socks up and work hard. Behind this is the manager formations , tactics and giving them the belief they are good enough .

Comment

Our 2021 form was strange. There were occasions when we could have built on some sensational results and snook up the table but we didn't... beating Brentford and Bournemouth then promptly losing to Birmingham and Huddersfield kind of thing.
          Going into last 10ish games, a late spurt into top 6 was sort of do'able but we go and get spanked 3-1 at Forest and Rotherham and fall out of contention. We go into last 5 games with nothing to play for and duly win those games. I think those 15 points kind of flatter to deceive and our final tally/position hides the fact we dropped too many points against very ordinary teams and never put together any momentum during the meaningful meat 'n potatos part of the season.

Going into this season the things I'm looking squarely at Warburton to deliver are a belief we can get into top 6 and instil a winning mentality where we can string wins together in runs of 4s or 5s and win when there's expectation and pressure. If we have won 2/3 games on the spin we have to win the next one. If a win takes us into the top 6 we must win that game. Too many times under Warburton we have tripped up in such games.

Put simply. If we proceed to muddle along barely winning even 2 games back-to-back and regularly dropping points to very ordinary teams Warburton has to take responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
            Our 2021 form was strange. There were occasions when we could have built on some sensational results and snook up the table but we didn't... beating Brentford and Bournemouth then promptly losing to Birmingham and Huddersfield kind of thing.
            Going into last 10ish games, a late spurt into top 6 was sort of do'able but we go and get spanked 3-1 at Forest and Rotherham and fall out of contention. We go into last 5 games with nothing to play for and duly win those games. I think those 15 points kind of flatter to deceive and our final tally/position hides the fact we dropped too many points against very ordinary teams and never put together any momentum during the meaningful meat 'n potatos part of the season.

Going into this season the things I'm looking squarely at Warburton to deliver are a belief we can get into top 6 and instil a winning mentality where we can string wins together in runs of 4s or 5s and win when there's expectation and pressure. If we have won 2/3 games on the spin we have to win the next one. If a win takes us into the top 6 we must win that game. Too many times under Warburton we have tripped up in such games.

Put simply. If we proceed to muddle along barely winning even 2 games back-to-back and regularly dropping points to very ordinary teams Warburton has to take responsibility.

That’s the championship though isn’t it , we took 4 points off Watford and 3 off Brentford , both got promoted. We just have to muster as many points as we can , it’s a relentless league from top to bottom .Wycombe got relegated but gave everyone a run for their money in virtually every game .

Comment

I'm sorry but this is laughable this expectation of at least top 6
              There's about 14 very good reasons why it's difficult.
              How much money have we actually spent?
              And have we spent beyond our ffp boundary? Hoos would'nt allow that.
              I'm happy to have a season free from the threat of relegation........ hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
                I'm sorry but this is laughable this expectation of at least top 6
                There's about 14 very good reasons why it's difficult.
                How much money have we actually spent?
                And have we spent beyond our ffp boundary? Hoos would'nt allow that.
                I'm happy to have a season free from the threat of relegation........ hopefully.
                Our form since January is top 6 form , we’ve kept all those players , not many teams have done to much transfer business so far , the relegated premier league teams will be ones to watch but it’s never easy coming straight back up , I fancy Boro purely because of Warnock but I don’t see to many others to worry about .

Comment

It’s the goals against column that the team need to significantly improve.

Keeping clean sheets regularly is fundamental to providing a real challenge this season.

Im not sure it’s in MW dna to sacrifice his attacking beliefs in favour of a more pragmatic approach.

The team can’t afford to be letting teams like Millwall go 2 goals up and expect to win 3-2 every week..

Comment

Originally posted by MINCER View Post
                    It’s the goals against column that the team need to significantly improve.

Keeping clean sheets regularly is fundamental to providing a real challenge this season.

Im not sure it’s in MW dna to sacrifice his attacking beliefs in favour of a more pragmatic approach.

The team can’t afford to be letting teams like Millwall go 2 goals up and expect to win 3-2 every week..

big improvements were made defensively last season but your right we will need to improve again this season if we are going to go close , we conceded to many against the likes of Barnsley , Rotherham , Huddersfield etc.

Comment

All managers are under pressure all the time, goes with the territory.

I have no idea what the owners have in their minds but my impression is we are looking to build ourselves into a top half team as opposed to a 'let's hope we don't go down this season' team.

I do not underestimate the amount spent on wages and that we have not sold anyone of significance but this summer we have seen sensible investment. Keeping the four loan signings is huge for us and we have added more bodies and quality to the squad on top of that. Aside from being short up front (and we have players to play one up anyway) we have cover everywhere now. There is no reason we shouldn't do well although top 6 would be a fantastic achievement.

This season is huge for some of our up and coming players. Dieng, Chair, Dickie and Willock have all been linked with moves (aside from maybe Willock) but they would all genuinely benefit from another season of regular first team football with us so they can improve further and if clubs come knocking next summer they will get better packages and perhaps more realistic chances of getting into the first team at their new clubs. For us it works because we keep them for another season and if they continue to improve we will get more money for them.

We have brought in Dozzell and Field is also still young. I would hope we would start to see one or two of our youngsters start to get game time over the course of the season. Players like that will be the next ones to develop and possibly sell on at some point. That is the kind of club we are now and mirrors the good old days of the 80s. We used to bring players on and sell to balance the books but kept our top flight status and played nice football.

After years of chaos and not looking forward to the very real prospect of being beaten at the weekend it is nice we have got to this stage and whatever the result makes for a better weekend.

Comment

I thought he was on a one year rolling deal but has been offered a longer deal? If that's true it shows the trust the Board have in him.

Comment

If the OP is saying Warburton is under pressure to deliver promotion because anything less would be failure I totally disagree. Yes compared to the last few years we have spent "big", but the total cost of our squad is still absolutely tiny compared to those of lots of other clubs, not just the relegated ones either. Even to finish top six we would be punching massively above our financial weight. And if the play offs are our target, at the risk of stating the obvious, once there you only have a 1 in four chance of promotion in what is a bit of a lottery. If we do it at our first serious attempt, great; if not, we just need to be patient. Look at Brentford - took them several goes. Come the end of the season if we don't go up we will probably be under pressure to sell, say, Chair, but then hopefully Bettache steps up and with the Chair money we maybe buy a striker from Peterborough or whoever - who in turn becomes a star and might help us to promotion. Lets just be patient and enjoy the fact that the club is finally being properly run with a strategic plan and decent coaching to develop players.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
                            If the OP is saying Warburton is under pressure to deliver promotion because anything less would be failure I totally disagree. Yes compared to the last few years we have spent "big", but the total cost of our squad is still absolutely tiny compared to those of lots of other clubs, not just the relegated ones either. Even to finish top six we would be punching massively above our financial weight. And if the play offs are our target, at the risk of stating the obvious, once there you only have a 1 in four chance of promotion in what is a bit of a lottery. If we do it at our first serious attempt, great; if not, we just need to be patient. Look at Brentford - took them several goes. Come the end of the season if we don't go up we will probably be under pressure to sell, say, Chair, but then hopefully Bettache steps up and with the Chair money we maybe buy a striker from Peterborough or whoever - who in turn becomes a star and might help us to promotion. Lets just be patient and enjoy the fact that the club is finally being properly run with a strategic plan and decent coaching to develop players.
                            This my view perfectly put

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
                              All managers are under pressure all the time, goes with the territory.

I have no idea what the owners have in their minds but my impression is we are looking to build ourselves into a top half team as opposed to a 'let's hope we don't go down this season' team.

I do not underestimate the amount spent on wages and that we have not sold anyone of significance but this summer we have seen sensible investment. Keeping the four loan signings is huge for us and we have added more bodies and quality to the squad on top of that. Aside from being short up front (and we have players to play one up anyway) we have cover everywhere now. There is no reason we shouldn't do well although top 6 would be a fantastic achievement.

This season is huge for some of our up and coming players. Dieng, Chair, Dickie and Willock have all been linked with moves (aside from maybe Willock) but they would all genuinely benefit from another season of regular first team football with us so they can improve further and if clubs come knocking next summer they will get better packages and perhaps more realistic chances of getting into the first team at their new clubs. For us it works because we keep them for another season and if they continue to improve we will get more money for them.

We have brought in Dozzell and Field is also still young. I would hope we would start to see one or two of our youngsters start to get game time over the course of the season. Players like that will be the next ones to develop and possibly sell on at some point. That is the kind of club we are now and mirrors the good old days of the 80s. We used to bring players on and sell to balance the books but kept our top flight status and played nice football.

After years of chaos and not looking forward to the very real prospect of being beaten at the weekend it is nice we have got to this stage and whatever the result makes for a better weekend.
                              Good post, well put and absolutely right.

Comment

Working...
                              X