Parachute Money Position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parachute Money Position

Just taking stock of who's getting it and more importantly looking at next season...

Parachute money is potentially payable over three seasons. But you only get the third season/instalment if you spent more than one season in the prem.

So this season, Cardiff, Swansea and Stoke are on their last instalment - next season they get zilch. Huddersfield are on their second instalment and, cos they stayed in Prem for two seasons they will get their third and final instalment next season.

So in terms of promotion this year it's pretty handy that last season's trio of relegated clubs are in frame for promotion. Indeed it's looking very rosy for Norwich and Watford for automatic promotion and Bournemouth are finding their form at right time and are credible candidates for promotion via play-offs. If those three go up, there will only be FOUR teams in receipt of parachute money next season: the three teams relegated from the prem plus Huddersfield.

Furthermore, WBA and Fools would only get 2 seasons of parachute money instead of 3, so better Fools come down than Geordies.

What this all means is that next season there are potentially the fewest ever teams in the Championship getting parachute money than since the system was invented - yeah, the playing field is still skewed and uneven but it'll be the least skewed it's been. Next season is a marvellous opportunity to crack the top 6 for quite a few teams who might have only been looking at midtable this season.

Good post.Maybe the first time that all Three relegated teams may go straight back up.The gap between relegated sides and the Championship appears to be getting bigger.
    Still think we are Two seasons at least from making a realistic bid on getting into the top Six in a Covid free season.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
      Just taking stock of who's getting it and more importantly looking at next season...

Parachute money is potentially payable over three seasons. But you only get the third season/instalment if you spent more than one season in the prem.

So this season, Cardiff, Swansea and Stoke are on their last instalment - next season they get zilch. Huddersfield are on their second instalment and, cos they stayed in Prem for two seasons they will get their third and final instalment next season.

So in terms of promotion this year it's pretty handy that last season's trio of relegated clubs are in frame for promotion. Indeed it's looking very rosy for Norwich and Watford for automatic promotion and Bournemouth are finding their form at right time and are credible candidates for promotion via play-offs. If those three go up, there will only be FOUR teams in receipt of parachute money next season: the three teams relegated from the prem plus Huddersfield.

Furthermore, WBA and Fools would only get 2 seasons of parachute money instead of 3, so better Fools come down than Geordies.

What this all means is that next season there are potentially the fewest ever teams in the Championship getting parachute money than since the system was invented - yeah, the playing field is still skewed and uneven but it'll be the least skewed it's been. Next season is a marvellous opportunity to crack the top 6 for quite a few teams who might have only been looking at midtable this season.
      Very interesting post, and good info.
      So if a team has been very prudent, this could be an ideal season to invest.
      And of course there could be teams who have stretched themselves too much in recent years and will now need to cut back, rather than try to push up again

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post

Very interesting post, and good info.
        So if a team has been very prudent, this could be an ideal season to invest.
        And of course there could be teams who have stretched themselves too much in recent years and will now need to cut back, rather than try to push up again
        Yes. Will be interesting to see how Cardiff, Swansea and Stoke adjust to being skint like rest of us - I have a strong suspicion there will be some weird stadium selling/re-mortgaging afoot, particularly given how Derby got away with it last year.

Comment

Yes. Will be interesting to see how Cardiff, Swansea and Stoke adjust to being skint like rest of us - I have a strong suspicion there will be some weird stadium selling/re-mortgaging afoot, particularly given how Derby got away with it last year.
          I would imagine so, possible that could happen.

Comment

In theory, could we do with Loftus Road what Derby did with their stadium?
            QPR
            Best team in the world
            Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post
              If it will help financially I’m all for selling the naming rights for the stadium I’m sure it can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by shanns View Post
                If it will help financially I’m all for selling the naming rights for the stadium I’m sure it can be done.
                Im all for the stadium name being sponsored if it helps bring in significant extra income for the club.

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post
                  I doubt that will happen whilst we're seeking planning permission for a new stadium. The current naming I reckon is part of our "community club" strategy to stay in the area as well as the seriousness of the knife crime awareness.

Comment

Originally posted by ConorQPR2000 View Post

Im all for the stadium name being sponsored if it helps bring in significant extra income for the club.
                    Lee hoos has stated in the past naming rights brings in minimal income , especially on an old stadium in the championship. If we were to move to a brand new stadium in the premier league that would be a different story.

Comment

Yeah I think the EFL needs to crack down on the "sale" of stadiums training grounds etc

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post

Lee hoos has stated in the past naming rights brings in minimal income , especially on an old stadium in the championship. If we were to move to a brand new stadium in the premier league that would be a different story.
                        That's a fair point by Mr Hoos. Lower league modern day stadium names seem to change every couple of years nowadays, I think that really dilutes the marketability. If it's a very long-term deal it kinda sticks and gets accepted, I never batted an eyelid at saying The Etihad, The Emirates or The Reebok but God knows what Bolton's stadium is called today or what it'll be called next season. By the time the new name sinks in, they go and change it.

Comment

That's a fair point by Mr Hoos. Lower league modern day stadium names seem to change every couple of years nowadays, I think that really dilutes the marketability. If it's a very long-term deal it kinda sticks and gets accepted, I never batted an eyelid at saying The Etihad, The Emirates or The Reebok but God knows what Bolton's stadium is called today or what it'll be called next season. By the time the new name sinks in, they go and change it.
                          I think its likely that the new training ground will have sponsorship.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

I doubt that will happen whilst we're seeking planning permission for a new stadium. The current naming I reckon is part of our "community club" strategy to stay in the area as well as the seriousness of the knife crime awareness.
                            OK, this sounds logical.
                            QPR
                            Best team in the world
                            Sort of

Comment

Working...
                            X