No announcement yet.

The Big Match Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brian Moore was a great commentator and a gentleman, unfortunately, at present I am listening to that utter #### Carraghar commenting on Spurs v West Ham, he who spat at a 12 year girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAo6SNt4lLg

Yes, football was far better back then for many reasons.
    I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

Spot on Dave

Comment

If u bought a hot drink and stood in the loft and we scored you'd have to throw it in the air , the drinks were so hot you'd burn your hands if u tried to hold on to them . Used to sit on top of the cafe when I was about 11/12 if a copper asked us to get down we'd pretend we couldn't hear him

Comment

I have been watching the Big Match Revisited for over a year now and love watching the game as it was ; a contact sport played within the rules (boundary at times) , with fun and on those wonderful muddy pitches and sometimes on snow. It wasn't all about money and it was overall a very enjoyable game. A pity the game will never go back to that.

Comment

I can't remember, and I was too young to drink, but could you ever take a pint of ale onto the loft? I can vaguely remember booze being banned from anywhere you could view the pitch from but I can't actually remember the stands/terraces being a sea of pints before that ban????

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
              I can't remember, and I was too young to drink, but could you ever take a pint of ale onto the loft? I can vaguely remember booze being banned from anywhere you could view the pitch from but I can't actually remember the stands/terraces being a sea of pints before that ban????
              yes, terracing and seats.

Comment

Drinking alcohol in the stands was allowed as was smoking.

Comment

I never went near the seats - I viewed the concept of sitting down at footy as unmanly.

Comment

Cracking thread, been similar before but I love threads like this, I used to get in early and stand at front of the "balcony" area in front of the tea hut (hence my username) loved it there from the, age of about 13, was there for a much postponed game v arsenal at night, arsenal gathered behind the goal at the loft end and the loft Boys were at the top to my right with the tea bar to their left, I can still feel the terrace steps vibrating as the fans ran at each other, the sound of doc martens on concrete terracing was frightening but exciting at the same time, 3 years later I was doing the same in loft v Charlton!!
                    As for the big match, loved it, Brian. Moore had a book out before everybody started doing it, great read, he loved cricket funnily enough.

Comment

Originally posted by cross it Dave View Post
                      Brian Moore was a great commentator and a gentleman, unfortunately, at present I am listening to that utter #### Carraghar commenting on Spurs v West Ham, he who spat at a 12 year girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAo6SNt4lLg

Yes, football was far better back then for many reasons.
                      Today’s commentators don’t commentate on the football, but have a conversation with their co-commentator. It is so irritating.

Comment

Working...
                      X