Proposed Premier League Reform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed Premier League Reform

My ghast is flabbered. I'm absolutely disgusted and if the proposed plans are adopted I'll not be watching football anymore. I'd rather watch Cribbage than spend any more of my hard-earned on a game that will in effect be controlled by a small number of teams in the PL who'll be even more immovable at the top of the game.

Madness.

In case you haven't seen it - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54499998
    "I don't read the papers, I don't gamble, I don't even know what day it is." - Steve McClaren.

The top clubs are greedy b astards just protecting the vast amounts of money and using covid to say we are helping the lower leagues, helping themselves with no parachute payments, the money will go in their coffers. and with Man City wanting a B league all about them f uck anybody else.

Comment

But those proposals look eminently sensible and a million times better than the current shambles. Getting rid of parachute money and chucking more money into EFL seems brilliant to me.

Comment

I agree that bit is good but the cost is too high. It's basically a power-grab by the top teams taking advantage of the current Covid situation.
        "I don't read the papers, I don't gamble, I don't even know what day it is." - Steve McClaren.

Comment

I believe the new proposals put forward and backed by liverpool and Man utd only at the moment, would give ultimate power to 9 clubs apparently.
          What upset the other 11 I reckon is these clubs would only need 6 of them to agree on something for it to be passed.
          One thing being these few can veto new ownership at other clubs.

Comment

That's it Dave. At the moment it takes 14 clubs to agree a motion. Can't see any reason to change that and I certainly can't see how reducing it to less than half that can be fair.

Comment

No parachute money is an interesting one. Those teams coming down have an advantage of being able to keep better players with this money. Without this money team would have to write into player contracts that they would lose 75% of their wages on relegation or leave. That would make the championship a more even competition, other than the 16th placed premier league team going into the play offs. I assume there would be three teams from the championship plus the one from the prem, rather than the prem teams players the winner out of four from championship. Whichever way, the prem team in the play off would enter after a season of 34 games rather than a 46 in the CC. It would make it difficult for any team going up to stay there, but that's the case now.

I might make the championship a fairer competition and the EFL gets 25% of the Premiership money.

I guess the danger being that with the top nine premier clubs calling the shots and could actually pull the rug away completely further down the line. It too much of a risk in the long term. But if smaller are going to go bust now.........????

Comment

People in the game are saying this is the big clubs taking advantage of the league clubs, when they are at their lowest ebb, and are looking to breakaway and form a european super league.
                Have to say I agree.
                Constant greed from the big 6 so out of touch.
                We should kick them out, and let's just get on with the english league.
                Still plenty of clubs with a good history and community roots.
                The next step these greedy gits take is turn into franchise's and turn their backs on their own cummunties.

Comment

Oh well, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. One thing, the EFL needs to evolve too.... there simply aren't enough fans to keep 72 clubs properly solvent and 46-game seasons are insane. Need to cut numbers from 72 to 60 via three divisions of 20, extend the salary-cap into The Championship and consider getting rid of League Two and having a League One South and a League One North.
                  Depending on how the extra prem money is distributed to the EFL I calculate that the above would result in us receiving at least 8million per year in extra revenue compared to current system.

Comment

Rick Parry says that this is the best thing for the pyramid.

With reduced relegation it means that the top teams will remain in the top tier, and everyone else will stay in the EFL. Evryone in the pyramid hopes that one day thier team will end up in the top tier, this will put an end to those hopes.

If relegation is reduced to one up one down, that would put paid to the play offs.

Comment

This is all about keeping the EPL's top 4, 6, or 9 clubs at the top of the pyramid and not letting others take their place.

Yes, the EFL would have more money (until the top clubs decide on another change), but the long term damage will be done. There will be very little, if any, chance of a club breaking out of the EFL and into the EPL's top.

It is not surprising to see that the drivers of this vehicle are Liverpool and Man Utd (no doubt that Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs will also want the change), because it was them who wanted the original Football League split to form the Premier League. They basically want more games against European clubs rather than play the likes of Burnley, Fulham, West Brom, Southampton etc. They will also get a chance for more lucrative world tours. The EPL clubs not at the top of the table, should note that this is a poisoned chalice that they are being offered and that they are likely to be the ones to suffer the long term consequences along with those in the EFL

I still remember the name suggested by a journalist when the EPL was mooted... GIG league i.e. Greed is Good.

I do agree though that for fans who just want to watch their team playing football with no real long term ambition of winning major honours or even really caring which division it's in, then yes, this would appear to be a good deal if 25% of the TV money keeps on coming to the EFL.

Comment

Would love it if 15 prem teams broke away from them and joined us in a proper EFL and left the likes of Utd, City n Pool to scratch their heads.

Comment

This will kill english football if it is allowed..
                          For the very reason stan states.
                          People won't go to football if you're team is going nowhere.
                          I suggest there are very few fans just happy to watch their team not really showing ambition.
                          It's why the playoffs are so successful.

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
                            This will kill english football if it is allowed..
                            For the very reason stan states.
                            People won't go to football if you're team is going nowhere.
                            I suggest there are very few fans just happy to watch their team not really showing ambition.
                            It's why the playoffs are so successful.

It's true the playoffs are successful largely because of the dream of doing what Blackburn and Leicester did.

As for the clubs going nowhere, I guess you just need to see the attendances those League 1 & 2 clubs get to see that no ambition football just doesn't have a large scale appeal to football fans. Compare the average attendance at Bournemouth when they were a no hope League 1 and 2 side to those in the EPL.

Another example could be say Colchester which has a population of around 180,000 and the average attendance for football is around 3,000. If they ever got into the Premiership I guess that attendance would swell to around 15,000 (capacity permitting).

Football at League 2 level attracts gates of around 3-5,000 and 4-10,000 at League 1 (with a few clubs like Sunderland and Ipswich still relatively well supported) but the higher they climb within the pyramid so does the attendance. This is because most fans aspire to watching 'their' club competing with the best and not the rest. Take that dream away and football will also just fade away as it most recently did at Bury.

Comment

Shocking idea. Only bit of comfort is seeing Sky panicking and trying to talk it down. They would lose a lot of their power.

Comment

Working...
                              X