Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any South African QPR fans out there?

Or any who have visited the Country?

A few of us are travelling over for a few weeks to watch the World Cup and I have heard and read so many differing versions of what the place is like but it would be great to get a realistic viewpoint.

We are based in Cape Town for a month but will obviously be going all the Country to see England play and although we are wise enough to steer well clear of certain areas in Johannesburg etc is it really that bad out there or is it all mostly media hype?

Johannesburg IS really that bad.

If you look wealthy and are not sensible then you could find alot of trouble.

Cape town is just incredible and you will love it.
    I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

my pal is out there for work at the moment.he goes 3-4 times a year and raves about it.hes back next week and il get him to give me some decent info that il post up on here
      "The kids missed everything from Queens Park Rangers to Conkers".

London Pride has been handed down to us.
      London Pride is a flower that's free.
      London Pride means our own dear town to us,
      And our pride it for ever will be.

Comment

Originally posted by IsleworthRanger View Post
        Or any who have visited the Country?

A few of us are travelling over for a few weeks to watch the World Cup and I have heard and read so many differing versions of what the place is like but it would be great to get a realistic viewpoint.

We are based in Cape Town for a month but will obviously be going all the Country to see England play and although we are wise enough to steer well clear of certain areas in Johannesburg etc is it really that bad out there or is it all mostly media hype?
        we were over there for the cricket WC Cape town (you'll absolutely love it there) Durban (hated the place) & PE now that was my cup of tea great beaches, great golf, great shopping centre, and very very cheap, well it was back then when the rand was only 11 to the £, think it's around 13 now

think you've followed England in a lot worse places then SA TBH

have a good'n while your there

Comment

Cape Town is a lovely city and where i went was completely safe. the harbour is beautiful and everyone is friendly. jo'burg was ok but only went on the outside of it. a good place to stay is magliasberg or something along those lines & is directly opposite an african tribal replica villiage which an amazing experience.

Comment

Cheers Guys

I try not to take much notice of the scare stories but its good to hear from people who have actually been out there and as PK says I have I am sure been to many worse places following England including a place on the Kazakhstan border where a mate of mine from Rotherham was shot in the leg for singing in a bar!

I don't recommend the Moscow metro either just before a game with the Russians either which was an experience.

There was so much fighting after the game in the lobby of our hotel that the army came along and put a tank at the entrance and the Russians still kept attacking us. :amazing:

Comment

One north african here
              TaarabT Abdel

Comment

Lucky enough to go to SA for my honeymoon last April. We stayed in the Western Cape and caught some of the Indian Premier League cricket at Newlands (dragged the new Mrs along, I'm such an old romantic).

Cape Town is a fantastic, fantastic city - great food, beaches and nightlife. But wherever you go in SA the place changes at night. Take cabs if you are going any long distance - that was the advice we were given by the locals which we initially raised our eyebrows at but accepted.

Like others on here Jo'Burg is much, much worse. We met a couple from there who had come down to chill in Cape Town because it was so bad up there appara.

I've read that some of the local villains will be targeting fans wearing colours. But if you don't large it, stay in groups and keep your wits about you, it will be the trip of a lifetime.

If you like a bit of vino and scenery go up to Franschoek - the wine country is an hour's drive away from Cape Town. Don't know if it's the right time but there is whale watching to be done close by and if you want to break the bank you can also go safari - some good ones in the western cape are about six hours from Cape Town.

Enjoy, it's a fantastic country.

Comment

Working...
                X