No announcement yet.

Massimo Luongo is the best midfielder in the championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've said all along that Luongo would be better further up the field.

IMO, he is better because of one major factor - Scowen.

Comment

Bit embarrassing isn't it.

He is playing excellent at the minute, that trio of Scowen, Freeman and Loungo is working out very well. But 4 games in and he is the best midfielder in the league? Give it a rest.

When we are in the playoffs at the end of the season I might consider that.
      C'Mon You Supaaaa!!

Comment

This surprises me. Although a different type of midfielder to Aaron Mooy he is not in the same class, unless he has dramatically improved beyond all recognition in last few weeks. Mind you, often the sum of the parts is better than the individual, and credit to Ollie looks like he's helped with his signings in bringing the best out of Luongo. He's playing the best I've known at the moment, having watched him for years, and I just hope he continues, but a Premiership player he will never be.

Comment

Originally posted by upperloft View Post
          Bit embarrassing isn't it.

He is playing excellent at the minute, that trio of Scowen, Freeman and Loungo is working out very well. But 4 games in and he is the best midfielder in the league? Give it a rest.

When we are in the playoffs at the end of the season I might consider that.
          To be fair to Naz hes saying it because the season stats so far show that Mass is the best midfielder in the division so it cant be classed as embarrasing to state facts imo.

Comment

The lads clearly comfortable in this division now. Took him a couple of seasons and showed glimpses but he is looking really sharp this season

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
              To be fair to Naz hes saying it because the season stats so far show that Mass is the best midfielder in the division so it cant be classed as embarrasing to state facts imo.
              He said it last year.
              C'Mon You Supaaaa!!

Comment

How does Luongo rate against all the other central midfielders in the Championship for loss of possession ?

Not having a dig because I think Luongo has been superb. Just interested as he used to get caught or give the ball away cheaply (IMO).

I have noticed that he does always try and win it back when he does lose it though.

Comment

Originally posted by upperloft View Post
                  He said it last year.
                  Yeah and that was talk.

Stats so far prove him right this season, let him have his moment .

Comment

I'm sure Cairney, Saiz , Hoolahan, Lansbury and Hourihane might might have something to say about that.

Comment

Originally posted by 1cliveallen View Post
                      I'm sure Cairney, Saiz , Hoolahan, Lansbury and Hourihane might might have something to say about that.
                      If they do say anything, show them Nassers graph.

Comment

Double Dutch

Comment

[QUOTE=nasser95;1645254]You must have missed the game, only player in the midfield who didn't put a single foot wrong today and could have scored 3 tbh. Everyone complained that he wasn't consistent, so he got consistent, then everyone complained that he didn't score, so he's decided to go and do that because he can. Looking forward to the next thing fans find to criticize the kid on.[/QUOTE

If he can keep up his current form he can go on to be amongst the best in this league and move on to a bigger stage.

Comment

Cant argue with those stats.
                            We should be proud of him, hes playing so well this season.
                            Think Scowen is his perfect partner and thats the reason.
                            Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
                            Interesting that Scowen only got a 6.9 on there though. I thought he played well, especially given the fact he was on the end of 3 horrible challenges. Just dusted himself off and got on with it. Exactly the sort of midfielder that we were missing last season in my opinion!
                            This. Scowen is the reason for Luongo's improvement. Scowen is a proper defensive midfielder and it allows Luongo the chance to play his type of game which is more offensive.

Comment

Cant argue with those stats.
                              We should be proud of him, hes playing so well this season.
                              Think Scowen is his perfect partner and thats the reason.
                              Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                              Ok I really like Scowen but you can't be serious can you? Mass does literally everything. Tackling? Yep, Intercepting? Yep, Heading? Yep, Through Balls? Yep, Dribbling? Yep, Chasing and hassling? Yep, even Shooting now? Yep.

I swear the guy could be our top scorer by the end of the season and people will say, yea but x, y or z got more assists...
                              yes, Luongo can do those things, but he was nowhere near as effective or consistent last season, because he didn't have Scowen or a player like him in midfield.
                              For me and others, Scowen is the more useful midfielder because even without Luongo, the midfield can be effective and creative by playing some players like Freeman, Manning, Borysuik, Cousins and even Goss in midfield with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                                How does Luongo rate against all the other central midfielders in the Championship for loss of possession ?

Not having a dig because I think Luongo has been superb. Just interested as he used to get caught or give the ball away cheaply (IMO).

I have noticed that he does always try and win it back when he does lose it though.
                                Freeman is currently top on both being dispossessed and loss on the first touch, totalling 5.7 losses of possession per game. Luongo is at 3.8, he is certainly in the top ten of the 46 players when it comes to possession losses but that's because he's also very close to the top in terms of having the ball at his feet. in fact yesterday he had the ball for a total of 9.1% of the match (8 minutes, 39 seconds on the ball in a 95 minute match total, more than anyone in the match.
                                "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Working...
                                X