Squad not good enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squad not good enough

From front to back I really dont think this squad is capable of achieving anything higher than mid-table next season.

Its quite clear that to be a force in this league you have to have a striker capable of scoring 15+ goals a season, something that we just dont have. Washington fair play to him has improved under Holloway and is getting better and better but I just cant see him being that player.

Midfield is just not good enough, its clear that we need a Shaun Derry type midfielder to come in. Ive lost count the amount of times we've lost the game in midfield this season. Manning and Freeman are both a breathe of fresh air and luongo is improving a lot but still lacking that player to do the dirty work.

Back 4 again not good enough for me, Bidwell is sometimes solid sometimes poor but does he do enough? Centre halves I think are good enough for this division, just need to find a consistent pairing and stop swapping them around every game. Onuoha and Hall for me, Lynch as backup. Right back Furlong seems to have made his own and is improving with every game, good enough to make a promotion push though?

Goalkeeper, best player and one of the top in the division.

I get that our big spending days are over and that its not the way forward for this football club, but I cant help but think the board need to realise that you can spend money just spend it wisely. This squad is not good enough and does not have enough quality to compete in the top 6. If we dont spend on some quality this summer I cant see that changing. Mid-table for me next season, whoever is in charge.

Originally posted by bradrangers View Post
    From front to back I really dont think this squad is capable of achieving anything higher than mid-table next season.

Its quite clear that to be a force in this league you have to have a striker capable of scoring 15+ goals a season, something that we just dont have. Washington fair play to him has improved under Holloway and is getting better and better but I just cant see him being that player.

Midfield is just not good enough, its clear that we need a Shaun Derry type midfielder to come in. Ive lost count the amount of times we've lost the game in midfield this season. Manning and Freeman are both a breathe of fresh air and luongo is improving a lot but still lacking that player to do the dirty work.

Back 4 again not good enough for me, Bidwell is sometimes solid sometimes poor but does he do enough? Centre halves I think are good enough for this division, just need to find a consistent pairing and stop swapping them around every game. Onuoha and Hall for me, Lynch as backup. Right back Furlong seems to have made his own and is improving with every game, good enough to make a promotion push though?

Goalkeeper, best player and one of the top in the division.

I get that our big spending days are over and that its not the way forward for this football club, but I cant help but think the board need to realise that you can spend money just spend it wisely. This squad is not good enough and does not have enough quality to compete in the top 6. If we dont spend on some quality this summer I cant see that changing. Mid-table for me next season, whoever is in charge.

agree with most of that except for the striker bit.

big lump has got 7 or 8 goals already and he only signed in january.

sylla has 10 and has been a bit part player.

both are well capable of banging in 15 in a whole season if played correctly.
    nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Agree with bits of that but actually think squad reasonable for this division.

Defence should be solid if unspectacular. Have loads of options in midfield although agree would like to see a Derry type. Wingers decent. Sylla could easily get 15+ goals a season if played and given service. Smith seems a decent lump (albeit not a 15+ scorer) and as you say Washington improving.

With a bit more quality we have potential to push on next year.

The issue in my view is the manager. Just not good enough. I think a decent manager would be getting more out of this squad.

Comment

3 of the top 6 teams currently don't have a striker on 15+ goals with only 3 games left. Just saying

Edit: Make that 4 of the top 6

Comment

For me i think our defence is the biggest worry. Whilst ned has improved i dont view him as a crucial player tbh and id rather him be replaced with someone better, heck, id want a cb to be our main target in the summer. I agree on midfield too, i love freeman and manning and luongo has put in some solid performances recently too but somethings missing ...

All in all our squad is a weird one, everyonr (except smithies) could get replaced yet everyone also plays quite well on their day.

Comment

Ollie will get rid of some and bring his own players in the summer, we'll be comfortably mid table next season, 8th-12th I reckon.
            Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
            Pawel Wszolek - 6
            Luke Freeman - 6
            Matt Smith - 6
            Ebere Eze - 4
            Joel Lynch - 3
            Tomer Hemed - 3
            Toni Leistner - 2
            Massimo Luongo- 2
            Angel Rangel - 2
            Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
            Geoff Cameron - 1
            Aramide Oteh - 1
            Jake Bidwell - 1
            Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Ninja View Post
              Ollie will get rid of some and bring his own players in the summer, we'll be comfortably mid table next season, 8th-12th I reckon.
              As someone pointed out in another thread, gary penrice is coming in soon which imo will be our best signing overall. The guy is amazing at picking out hidden gems from all over the place especially scotland which has the added benefit of making my missus very happy as shes a glasgow native

Comment

Originally posted by Hove Ranger View Post
                3 of the top 6 teams currently don't have a striker on 15+ goals with only 3 games left. Just saying

Edit: Make that 4 of the top 6
                All around 13-14 goals and the season hasnt ended. End of the day they are all a class apart from washington, you get the point im trying to make.

Comment

A few weeks back everybody was talking about promotion next season. Since then we have lost games but none by more than one goal and the results could easily have been different. On our day I feel we can beat most teams in this division. The main problem is consistency.

Comment

Originally posted by jmelanie View Post
                    A few weeks back everybody was talking about promotion next season. Since then we have lost games but none by more than one goal and the results could easily have been different. On our day I feel we can beat most teams in this division. The main problem is consistency.
                    And the main cause of which has been the pointless inconsistency in team selection and formation.

Comment

Originally posted by corbray View Post
                      The guy is amazing at picking out hidden gems from all over the place especially scotland
                      Examples?

Comment

Don't know any from Scotland Mush but Olly said he gave him Freeman.

Comment

The only good thing about the prem is the money. And we normally pish that away quick enough.we struggle to compete in the bottom 6 in the prem so personally think it's a waste of time going up for us. That is if we ever find ourselves in a promotion place ever again that is lol
                          Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

Originally posted by Gtleighsr3 View Post
                            The only good thing about the prem is the money. And we normally pish that away quick enough.we struggle to compete in the bottom 6 in the prem so personally think it's a waste of time going up for us. That is if we ever find ourselves in a promotion place ever again that is lol
                            gonna be a long long time before we go back up.

the one thing i love about the championship, is the midweek games.

its all action week in and week out, whereas, the prem league just feels so plastic.

of course i want us to be playing in the highest league as possible against the best but it all just feels so sterile.
                            nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Championship is s hite league I hate it

Comment

Working...
                              X