Those who have left

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by upperloft View Post
    You're right Nas, probably not class. But always gave his all for Rangers.. and backed it up with goals. Can't say the same for Fer and Phillips.
    I think the fact that he's doing it for Southampton too now suggests to me that he is a class player, same way Fer is standing out for Swansea and Phillips is standing out for WBA.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

class players put in the performances week in week out , season after season

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
        Phillips was always class it's just that people always want more from the people they see as the best. No matter how good your best player does, unless he's Austin or Taarabt, people always want more. Phillips and Fer are two players who played with absolute class here and performed very well and made a difference, and a lot of fans still wanted more, to the point that they booed them whenever they touched the ball on the pitch. I'm sitting in the stands and hearing ridiculous abuse aimed at two great players and I'm wondering what some fans want? Fer didn't look like he ran much, but he did and he was classy af on the ball. Still not enough for some. Same for Phillips, people didn't like that he didn't cover defensively ffs when he was getting goals and assists regularly and was better than anything we had.
        Sorry nas, I normally agree with a lot you say but Phillips certainly wasn't always class for us. Despite playing well at wba I think you'll find he's had several anonymous games for them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post
          Sorry nas, I normally agree with a lot you say but Phillips certainly wasn't always class for us. Despite playing well at wba I think you'll find he's had several anonymous games for them as well.
          For me, expecting weekly consistency for that sort of player who is primarily a creator is only setting up for disappointment. "flair players" like that do one of two things usually, they show up for a few minutes a match and make a difference a la Taarabt, or they show up every other game or so and try and make a difference, like these two. The reason being they like to try and pull things off, skills, flicks etc, and some games obviously you don't get the rub of the green. It's not for a lack of trying either, especially in an attacking sense, I felt these two did put in the shift offensively, although not defensively (not that their roles required them to). It just happens that there are so many factors that determine their success that are reliant on other people doing it right all the time and it makes it seem like they're anonymous as a result.

Same can be said for strikers like Polter. His best games come from other people creating more opportunities, and it happens both ways, where a winger will look better because for one game, a striker happens to position himself better.
          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by LoftusRoadLad View Post
            Phillips..premiership player when he wants to be.
            Yeah. Nothing to do with the set up we have.

Comment

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post
              Phillips certainly wasn't always class for us..
              But thats the point: creative players have gone on to better themselves elsewhere. What is it about us that we consistently fail to make the most of potential / quality, and when we do unequivocally have it (Simpson, Chas etc) we let it go.... If we'd been sorted and seriously ready for a fresh EPL assault Chas might have been persuaded to stay but the writing was on the wall|: we were in £saver territory by then and the world knew it.

I agree with Naz re Phillips and Fer (and Smithies), but not Polter. Olly has done a lot of talking since being appointed, but he correctly pointed out that having guys willing to move the piano wasn't enough. You need someone to play it. That's where we're really short.

Comment

We are poison to talent.

Comment

Originally posted by acricketer View Post
                  We are poison to talent.
                  I've noticed some fans can really fluctuate between a desire for consistency and a desire for that sort of pure talent these guys bring. There are jeers when players attempts to beat his man and fails which never encourages players to try more. Not to put all the blame with the fans but it's a continuous thing that has predated the recent history of the club and the one thing that remains consistent is us. I think it's a consistent comparison of everyone remotely talented with flair to Adel Taarabt that one season and all it's gonna do is make everyone else seem like a disappointment to fans.

Comment

It's a consistent theme to persecute players who are not performing to expectations.

They earn a fortune and are certainly targets for vitriol.

Comment

We just haven't been able to turn good players into better players when they have joined us, why ...it has to be down to the coaching staff...
                      I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Originally posted by Hertford Hoop View Post
                        We just haven't been able to turn good players into better players when they have joined us, why ...it has to be down to the coaching staff...
                        But don't (a section of) the fans have to take a portion of responsibility for this type of thing too:

There are jeers when players attempts to beat his man and fails which never encourages players to try more. Not to put all the blame with the fans but it's a continuous thing that has predated the recent history of the club and the one thing that remains consistent is us.
                        In addition to Nas' post, at LR the players hear absolutely everything from the stands, both positive and negative. We're in quite a unique position in that regard as a club, so these things can work against us too. It's only a minority of the fans of course, but nonetheless a highly audible one from the pitch.

There's countless other posts to corroborate this but here's another similar one:

Originally posted by Martinmalta View Post
                        I do believe that its has something to do with the atmosphere at Loftus Road. Players love the support of their followers. If not, players become aware they're not welcomed and it effects the confidence. In my opinion, some of the body language of the players just shows confusion and tension.

Comment

Phillips has hit a purple patch.

Hows everyone's favourite Hoilett doing at the bottom of the Championship?

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                            Phillips has hit a purple patch.

Hows everyone's favourite Hoilett doing at the bottom of the Championship?
                            Phillips hits purple patches often enough when played consistently that I don't think they can be called purple patches any more.

Comment

Phillips hits purple patches often enough when played consistently that I don't think they can be called purple patches any more.
                              3 goals and 3 assists in the last 4 games.

So where has he been for the other 10 games this season?

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                                But don't (a section of) the fans have to take a portion of responsibility for this type of thing too: :
                                Yes of course Stan
                                I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Working...
                                X