80s QPR ski hats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80s QPR ski hats

Anyone remember the craze for QPR ski hats ?
    Circa 84 ,then the two thirds Rs ,one third ,(usually) Celtic/Rangers ,occasionally Hearts , but later Union Jack hats ?I know Fraggy and Dunraven ,certainly do !
    It was all over the Loft for us young Casuals ,back in the day
    Rangers,Scooters ,Tunes and Trainers

Remember the Celtic/Rangers hats well, although I had no idea of the political and religious connections at that stage
    Ah, the ignorance of youth.
    “He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long”
    Will Danaher

Comment

What was the idea behind these hats? and why would you choose to wear one or the other? Hearts?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Wilson View Post
        What was the idea behind these hats? and why would you choose to wear one or the other? Hearts?
        It’s loosely linked to the whole catholic/protestant rivalry in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
        To some, wearing one or the other showed your affiliation.
        To be honest, a lot of the people who wore them didn’t really understand the significance or the history behind it all themselves.
        Take scum fans for instance. Most of their “boys” side with Rangers, as the “gers” are all about Queen and country, unionism, hate the Irish bla blah blah.
        Will Danaher

Comment

Originally posted by Itsonlyagame View Post
          It’s loosely linked to the whole catholic/protestant rivalry in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
          To be honest, a lot of the people who wore them didn’t really understand the significance or the history behind it all themselves.
          Take scum fans for instance. Most of their “boys” side with Rangers, as the “gers” are all about Queen and country, unionism, hate the Irish bla blah blah.
          This.
          I remember seeing Chelsea fans on their way up to Rangers games in some numbers back in the 80s. Always thought it a bid odd.

Comment

Cheers. Had heard about Chelsea/Rangers friendship...still going strong I think - https://twitter.com/Chelsea_RFC

What happens then if some QPR lads back then are wearing half and half Celtic and some are wearing the Rangers one? does it cause a problem or like you said its just a loosely linked thing?

Comment

Cheers. Had heard about Chelsea/Rangers friendship...still going strong I think - https://twitter.com/Chelsea_RFC

What happens then if some QPR lads back then are wearing half and half Celtic and some are wearing the Rangers one? does it cause a problem or like you said its just a loosely linked thing?
              I never personally saw any issues amongst QPR fans who sat on different sides of the fence. I suppose we’re all Rs fans above anything else and outside of a few knuckle draggers, I just don’t think too many English supporters get too wound up by the inter religious rivalry that exists so intensely north of the border.
              I worked with a Scum fan last year and his week off in the summer consisted of heading over to Belfast with his little mob to take part in the marching season over there. He was your typical Chelsea fan really, had an opinion about everything but knew fu€k all about religion, football and life in general.
              Will Danaher

Comment

QPR/Celtic ski hats were in the majority at Loftus rd ,but i wore a Rangers then later a union Jack one ,and never had a problem , ( got more agg for being from South London to be honest ). As has been said ,i dont think many of us looked at it too seriously . Although ,i do remember a black Spurs lad on the Tube getting a right b ollocking off an angry Scots man for wearing a Spurs /Celtic hat .
                Rangers,Scooters ,Tunes and Trainers

Comment

QPR / Celtic had one for years

Lost it when we scored against West Ham in that sh!tty old terrace in the corner fenced in behind the goal at Upton Park one year.

Comment

Comment

Class

Comment

I still have my QPR/Hearts hat, it had nothing to do with anything other than I follow Hearts, when I wore it up in Scotland I got a bit of stick from the Hearts fans, it was mostly about our Wembley disaster the previous week (0-3) Oxford) I wish I knew how to post a pic of this!
                        Last edited by gator; 15-02-2018, 03:32 PM.
                        @gatorTFC

Comment

Originally posted by gator View Post
                          I still have my QPR?Hearts hat, it had nothing to do with anything other than I follow Hearts, when I wore it up in Scotland I got a bit of stick from the Hearts fans, it was mostly about our Wembley disaster the previous week (0-3) Oxford) I wish I knew how to post a pic of this!
                          Email me the pic and I'll post for you.
                          j.fitzy@btinternet.com
                          Minds Are Like Parachutes.
                          Work Best When Open...
                          @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Originally posted by Fraggy View Post
                            Email me the pic and I'll post for you.
                            j.fitzy@btinternet.com
                            On the subject of pictures, would someone mind advising me on how to upload pictures from the internet and from my iPhone.
                            Also, if I try and upload a YouTube vid, I can copy the link but that’s just a load of numbers and letters until it’s clicked on. Ive noticed when some others do it the video appears freeze framed ready to be played.
                            I’ve looked in the help section but can’t seem to sort it.
                            Apologies for hijacking the thread a bit and feel free to move this to the relevant section.
                            Any help would be much appreciated.
                            Will Danaher

Comment

On the subject of pictures, would someone mind advising me on how to upload pictures from the internet and from my iPhone.
                              Also, if I try and upload a YouTube vid, I can copy the link but that’s just a load of numbers and letters until it’s clicked on. Ive noticed when some others do it the video appears freeze framed ready to be played.
                              I’ve looked in the help section but can’t seem to sort it.
                              Apologies for hijacking the thread a bit and feel free to move this to the relevant section.
                              Any help would be much appreciated.
                              Hi. When you post there are some icons above. One of them looks like an old roll of movie film (If you hover over it. it says insert video). Click on that, then right click the url of the video you want to insert and select copy. Then paste it in and post.

Comment

Working...
                              X