No announcement yet.

Groves v Eubank Jr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And don’t forget GG beat Degale and gave Froch a real beating before the ref made a complete #### up by stopping it too early.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdave View Post
      And don’t forget GG beat Degale and gave Froch a real beating before the ref made a complete #### up by stopping it too early.
      I'm getting the impression that you're a bit of George Groves fan mate. I had a lot of respect for him until those 2 fights against Carl Froch, where personally I think he made an utter plum of himself. He was undoubtedly winning that 1st fight on the scorecards, but Froch hurt him bad in that 9th round. The stoppage may have been a punch or 2 early, but he wasn't lasting that round in my opinion. Then the 2nd fight certainly didn't leave any doubt.

Of course Groves did beat James DeGale, beat him well as well, and as a huge underdog on the night. But DeGale for me is another one who never cut it at world level. Looks decent at domestic and European level, but put him in with truly world class fighters and he's in trouble.

Personally, I think Eubank looks a cut above these 2 fighters. He's big, hits hard and fast, and has a bit of that same class about him in the ring that his dad had. Of course, this is largely untested at world level, and he did come a cropper against Billy Joe Saunders. No shame in that though, Saunders is as good as anyone in that weight class in my opinion (aside from Golovkin and Canelo), and I'm sure Eubank learned a lot from that fight.

Time will tell I guess, but I expect Eubank to win on Saturday and move on to some really tasty fights at world level including a potential re-match against Saunders. Groves on the other hand, I think is more or less done at this level.
      Last edited by Tarbie; 13-02-2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Yeah I am a fan of Groves always have been but I like to think I give an honest opinion when it comes to boxing and even though I’m not over confident of him winning Saturday if I was a Eubank fan I wouldn’t be that confident either.

Imo Eubank is still relatively unknown in how good he actually is yet some bang on about him like he’s going to be the new Mayweather. He hasn’t shown enough just yet for me

As for GG in the build up to the 2 Froch fights he tried to get under his skin and I think he did prior to the first fight but even I got a bit irritated the second fight as it was a bit too much.
        Last edited by Bigdave; 13-02-2018, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
          I'm getting the impression that you're a bit of George Groves fan mate. I had a lot of respect for him until those 2 fights against Carl Froch, where personally I think he made an utter plum of himself. He was undoubtedly winning that 1st fight on the scorecards, but Froch hurt him bad in that 9th round. The stoppage may have been a punch or 2 early, but he wasn't lasting that round in my opinion. Then the 2nd fight certainly didn't leave any doubt.

Of course Groves did beat James DeGale, beat him well as well, and as a huge underdog on the night. But DeGale for me is another one who never cut it at world level. Looks decent at domestic and European level, but put him in with truly world class fighters and he's in trouble.

Personally, I think Eubank looks a cut above these 2 fighters. He's big, hits hard and fast, and has a bit of that same class about him in the ring that his dad had. Of course, this is largely untested at world level, and he did come a cropper against Billy Joe Saunders. No shame in that though, Saunders is as good as anyone in that weight class in my opinion (aside from Golovkin and Canelo), and I'm sure Eubank learned a lot from that fight.

Time will tell I guess, but I expect Eubank to win on Saturday and move on to some really tasty fights at world level including a potential re-match against Saunders. Groves on the other hand, I think is more or less done at this level.
          Tbf it sounds like you're a bit of a Eubank fan Tarbs. Groves and degale have gone out and won credible world titles so have proven their level. Eubank hasnt (yet). Eubank isn't big, you will see the size difference tomorrow at the press conference. He hits hard when he fights come forward brawlers but struggles with boxers and he is nothing like his dad in terms of fighting style or personality

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdave View Post
            Yeah I am a fan of Groves always have been but I like to think I give an honest opinion when it comes to boxing and even though I’m not over confident of him winning Saturday if I was a Eubank fan I wouldn’t be that confident either.

Imo Eubank is still relatively unknown in how good he actually is yet some bang on about him like he’s going to be the new Mayweather. He hasn’t shown enough just yet for me

As for GG in the build up to the 2 Froch fights he tried to get under his skin and I think he did prior to the first fight but even I got a bit irritated the second fight as it was a bit too much.
            I followed Groves' career pretty closely from the start. I always had a soft spot for him, but actually went off him a lot after the whole circus that was the 2 fights with Froch. I thought he showed a real lack of class in the build up to both fights. I actually feel similar about David Haye these days too. He's another boxer who's career I followed from very early on. I thought he really let himself down in the build up to his fight with Tony Bellew.

For me, Froch was always the far superior boxer out of him and Groves. Despite what the cards from the 1st fight say. I'd also go as far to say that a slightly younger Carl Froch might have done a full on demolition job of George Groves. In my opinion, Froch is one of the best British fighters of the last 2 decades.

Saturday night will be an interesting one. I personally suspect it will be a very one sided fight, but Groves has surprised me before. I wrote him off after the Badou Jack loss, and he's come back very well from that, so you never know!

Comment

The key to the fight is who wins the battle of range/distance. Groves will want to keep it at range with his jab and Eubank can only fight up close.

Comment

Originally posted by Hove Ranger View Post
                Tbf it sounds like you're a bit of a Eubank fan Tarbs. Groves and degale have gone out and won credible world titles so have proven their level. Eubank hasnt (yet). Eubank isn't big, you will see the size difference tomorrow at the press conference. He hits hard when he fights come forward brawlers but struggles with boxers and he is nothing like his dad in terms of fighting style or personality
                So 5ft 11 and a 73in reach isn't big for a Middleweight? Groves may be an inch or so taller but both these guys are fairly big for the weight I think.

Let's see what happens at the weekend. All I'm saying is I see potential for Eubank to really kick on if he wins Groves' WBA belt. Obviously the problem for him will be how he gets close to Canelo and GGG. I think those 2 boys are a bit too good for anyone else in this division.

As for being a Eubank fan......in terms of how he boxes, yes very much so. As an individual, I don't particularly like him or his dad.
                Last edited by Tarbie; 13-02-2018, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hove Ranger View Post
                  The key to the fight is who wins the battle of range/distance. Groves will want to keep it at range with his jab and Eubank can only fight up close.
                  The key to the fight for me is that Eubank is in his prime and at his very best and Groves is passed his. Think it wil be agreat fight though . Cant wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
                    The key to the fight for me is that Eubank is in his prime and at his very best and Groves is passed his. Think it wil be agreat fight though . Cant wait.
                    Agree with that mate!

Comment

So 5ft 11 and a 73in reach isn't big for a Middleweight? Groves may be an inch or so taller but both these guys are fairly big for the weight I think.

Let's see what happens at the weekend. All I'm saying is I see potential for Eubank to really kick on if he wins Groves' WBA belt. Obviously the problem for him will be how he gets close to Canelo and GGG. I think those 2 boys are a bit too good for anyone else in this division.

As for being a Eubank fan......in terms of how he boxes, yes very much so. As an individual, I don't particularly like him or his dad.
                      Tarbie, Groves is likely to be at least a stone heavier on the night, so there is a big difference.

Just don't see him having the defence or chin to keep Junior off though.

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
                        Tarbie, Groves is likely to be at least a stone heavier on the night, so there is a big difference.

Just don't see him having the defence or chin to keep Junior off though.
                        Didn't realise there was that much of a difference in weight between the 2 mate. Groves must be embarking on a pretty serious weight cut?!!

Comment

Didn't realise there was that much of a difference in weight between the 2 mate. Groves must be embarking on a pretty serious weight cut?!!
                          No, not at all. The difference between the two weight classes is 8lbs. Groves will need to make that weight but will be a fair bit heavier on the night. Eubank would still comfortably make Middleweight if he wanted to. He doesn't fluctuate much at all as he's never really out of training. He won't therefore be weakened by trying to make weight.

Comment

Can't stand either of them tbh, although (despite being Chelsea) reckon I prefer groves to Eubank. That said, it's a Eubank win for me. Should be a cracker though!
                            You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

If Groves trades he's finished. JR will out work him and break him down quick. Groves is known to start blowing around round 6

I think he will fight smart and keep Jr at distance, picking him off and moving the whole time. It will take a very disciplined performance but I'm swaying towards Groves on points.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Floyd Rabbit View Post
                                If Groves trades he's finished. JR will out work him and break him down quick. Groves is known to start blowing around round 6

I think he will fight smart and keep Jr at distance, picking him off and moving the whole time. It will take a very disciplined performance but I'm swaying towards Groves on points.
                                I agree with you there Jim about Groves keeping Eubank at range, will be tough to do though.

Hate to say it but as the fight edges close I’m beginning to think maybe it’s CEJs time. Hope I’m wrong

Comment

Working...
                                X