Yeni as a striker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeni as a striker?

the more i see of this guy the more i think he's better suited as a striker. he does okay on the wings but never looks as good as pavel does and i think they both link up well whenever yeni's upfront. yeni looks more threatening than conor and has a bit of skill to him too, him and sylla could be a good pairing up front.

i think he played for metz as a second striker type of player before he came to us too and he did reasonably well there in terms of goals.
    maybe he could be an option up front? nothing else is working so far and i'm not opposed to seeing conor on the left wing if it means we can save money there, he does a half decent job as a winger tbh

Originally posted by corbray View Post
    the more i see of this guy the more i think he's better suited as a striker. he does okay on the wings but never looks as good as pavel does and i think they both link up well whenever yeni's upfront. yeni looks more threatening than conor and has a bit of skill to him too, him and sylla could be a good pairing up front.

i think he played for metz as a second striker type of player before he came to us too and he did reasonably well there in terms of goals.
    maybe he could be an option up front? nothing else is working so far and i'm not opposed to seeing conor on the left wing if it means we can save money there, he does a half decent job as a winger tbh
    Only 2 problems with your plan.

1.) Ollie doesn't like Sylla.
    2.) Ollie loves a lumbering unit up top. Smith will always get the nod as long as Ollie is here!

Comment

I like to think of what we're doing right now with Smith (in having three players who are competent at playing out wide and in the middle play off him) as being a really smart thing to do with someone like Sylla instead. Yes, smith is good at holding up and good in the air, but so is Sylla, the difference is that on the ground, sylla is much much better.

If you just had Sylla playing up front with Pawel, Yeni and Freeman all playing off him, you've got so much attacking potential right there that you can allow the players behind them (Luongo, Manning, scowen etc) focus more on the defensive work.
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
        I like to think of what we're doing right now with Smith (in having three players who are competent at playing out wide and in the middle play off him) as being a really smart thing to do with someone like Sylla instead. Yes, smith is good at holding up and good in the air, but so is Sylla, the difference is that on the ground, sylla is much much better.

If you just had Sylla playing up front with Pawel, Yeni and Freeman all playing off him, you've got so much attacking potential right there that you can allow the players behind them (Luongo, Manning, scowen etc) focus more on the defensive work.
        i like the sound of that and its the sort of thing that should work but sadly i think tarbs is right and smith will play over sylla. dont get me wrong, smith is a good target man but hes too one dimensional, if anything he should be a sub coming on for the last 30 minutes or so to try nick a goal or preserve a lead

Comment

But Smith runs around a lot more than Yeni or Sylla Nas. Far more important than actually being able to play football!

Comment

Yeni needs to be played more, one of the only players in the squad with abit about him technical wise that could change a game for us.

Comment

Deffo agree about cilla being our no1 and smith sub plan b for mew, also thought the small bit saw of Ariel Borysiuk looked what we could do with in midfield, looked composed apart from playing a big part in one of boros goals! but wouldnt sell him if we could !
              http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Originally posted by Fordy View Post
                Yeni needs to be played more, one of the only players in the squad with abit about him technical wise that could change a game for us.
                I've been a huge advocate of his since the rumours started before he signed. That free kick he scored was (I hope) a turning point for a lot of fans who didn't see what he brought: Bags of technical ability.

The guy is fast, great shot on him, calm and composed but playing him as a pure winger isn't taking advantage of that.
                "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post
                  Deffo agree about cilla being our no1 and smith sub plan b for mew, also thought the small bit saw of Ariel Borysiuk looked what we could do with in midfield, looked composed apart from playing a big part in one of boros goals! but wouldnt sell him if we could !
                  I agree with this, Borysuik looked like that tough tackling calm and composed player who just gave the ball to whomever needed it and got on with getting in a good position to deal with the opposition. Sorta what we'd hoped Sandro would end up becoming.

Comment

I agree with this, Borysuik looked like that tough tackling calm and composed player who just gave the ball to whomever needed it and got on with getting in a good position to deal with the opposition. Sorta what we'd hoped Sandro would end up becoming.
                    Hopefully he wants to stay here.

Comment

Agree nas just like a shaun derry
                      http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
                        Only 2 problems with your plan.

1.) Ollie doesn't like Sylla.
                        2.) Ollie loves a lumbering unit up top. Smith will always get the nod as long as Ollie is here!
                        Sylla supposedly got dropped because he was not running around and doing the defensive side his role. Smith replaced him and is probably the slowest and most immobile player in the squad.

Yes, Smith does win the occasional header but that is all he has to his game. Even watching him yesterday, it was like watching a slow motion replay as Smith "pounced" on a loose ball in the area to barely must a shot which went straight at the keeper.

I would play anyone up front in preference to Smith and Yeni (who looked lively yesterday) and Sylla, would be a better option than Smith and Washington.

Comment

I was very impressed with Borysuik. He is a good tackler, can find a team mate with a long ball and can also shoot from distance. Giving a run in the first team will make him a better player. Personally, he and Pawel should be playing more regularly.

Comment

^^Borysiuk was homesick(alledgedly) last season, and went back to Poland on loan. I really wonder what the situation is with him now.
                            QPR
                            Best team in the world
                            Sort of

Comment

Smith off bench for last 20mins is good option but he simply should not be considered as a starter if other players are fit. His presence kills our game as our players can't resist punting it

Sylla is a better player, better striker and better finisher and he has knack of scoring goals after smithies he should be first name on team sheets as strikers win you games.

What someone mentioned above about sylla and attacking three off him is spot on

Comment

Working...
                              X