Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would being in the prem mean to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by silvercue View Post
    Different winners don't make it a better league. The standard in the Champ is far, far worse. It is not a better league. Dp you also suggest that a pub league that has many different winners over the years is better than The prem..? Because that is the point you are making.

Not only that but the Champ will be getting far less competetive with the increase in parachute payments now.

The club must be all that they can - that means the Prem first - then beating the likes of Utd, Chelsea etc. It can happen.

It would mean everything. QPR are a small club and I am sick of everyone where I live (not in London) supporting Man U, Livererpool and now Chelsea. Spoilt little *****. I just want to stick it up those type of fans...that's what it is all about. And away games at great London Stadiums. Shame we won't play West Ham as they will pass us on the way down!
    I don't think anyone is deluded enough to think that the standard of football in The Prem is anything other than head and shoulders above The Championship... and SPC wasn't saying that.

It boils down to this:
    A lot of people seem to think that you are either a Premier League Club - or you are nothing.
    It's not a view I share.

As much as I'd love to see us get promoted, because it would be a fantastic achievement... clearly for many football supporters, there is something about The Premier League (the greatest league in the world??) that stinks.
    And that's down to the media treatment of the rest of football, Skys money, the behaviour of multi-millionaire players, and greed. £££.

It's probably a view that's mainly held by supporters over a certain age. Not all, but a fair few.
    Final Version - Hope you like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1z0UQ0eqRM

Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/QPRGoddard

Comment

Different winners don't make it a better league. The standard in the Champ is far, far worse. It is not a better league. Dp you also suggest that a pub league that has many different winners over the years is better than The prem..? Because that is the point you are making.

Not only that but the Champ will be getting far less competetive with the increase in parachute payments now.

The club must be all that they can - that means the Prem first - then beating the likes of Utd, Chelsea etc. It can happen.

It would mean everything. QPR are a small club and I am sick of everyone where I live (not in London) supporting Man U, Livererpool and now Chelsea. Spoilt little *****. I just want to stick it up those type of fans...that's what it is all about. And away games at great London Stadiums. Shame we won't play West Ham as they will pass us on the way down!
      Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I meant the league is better not in terms of quality of football but in it's competitiveness. Even if the three teams relegated from the Premiership take positions 1, 2 and 3 that means there are 3 places for the other teams in the league. In a one off play off match there is no guarantee that the 3rd place team will go up. Only time will tell whether Burnley, Hull and Pompey will occupy the top 3 with their increased parachute payments but already it doesn't look likely. Financial problems as well as the example of the play offs will mean that it is unlikely that the relegated 3 will go up the next year. The likes of Stoke, Hull, Blackpool and Burnley have all gone up whilst the likes of Boro, Sheff United, Forest, Leeds, Saints and Charlton have all struggled to return back to the Premiership after coming down.

Comment

The reasons people are hating the Prem are the very reasons that QPR need to be there. An unfashionable club (in terms of attraction to new supporters), with a small, old fashioned ground and small, but proud support.

If QPR get big backing it will stick two fingers up at the trendy, big business clubs that are more about marketing than football.

We need to be there to wee on their parade. And can you imaging beating Chelsea away to stop them winning the league, or stopping Spurs getting the last Champions League place....?
        twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

The reasons people are hating the Prem are the very reasons that QPR need to be there. An unfashionable club (in terms of attraction to new supporters), with a small, old fashioned ground and small, but proud support.

If QPR get big backing it will stick two fingers up at the trendy, big business clubs that are more about marketing than football.

We need to be there to wee on their parade. And can you imaging beating Chelsea away to stop them winning the league, or stopping Spurs getting the last Champions League place....?
          Lots of teams could be deemed unfashionable that have been promoted recently - Blackpool, Hull, Stoke and Burnley (Turf Moor, DW and Bloomfield are all small, old fashioned grounds). Burnley beat United last year and those dropped points stopped United from winning the league doesn't mean that losing 24 out of 38 was fun though just because of that one win against Man Utd.

Do I want to see us competing against the best sides in the division? Of course. But do I want to see us endure the pain of Derby or Burnley in recent seasons? Of course not. I fully understand that playing at home against the likes of Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal etc is far more appealing that seeing us against the likes of Scunny, Donny and Watford but battling for 17th place isn't quite as exciting IMO as winning promotion in the first place.

Comment

Sir Pie.........those teams do not have the potential that we do.

We have some of the biggest wealth in world football behind us. If they decide to play - then we can play.

Please no one tell me that money doesn't equate to success, because it does.

We have the potential to upset those teams - properly. Not just in a one off game.

It's time for us to take our place at the grown ups table and start a food fight!
            twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by sirpiechucker View Post
              Lots of teams could be deemed unfashionable that have been promoted recently - Blackpool, Hull, Stoke and Burnley (Turf Moor, DW and Bloomfield are all small, old fashioned grounds). Burnley beat United last year and those dropped points stopped United from winning the league doesn't mean that losing 24 out of 38 was fun though just because of that one win against Man Utd.

Do I want to see us competing against the best sides in the division? Of course. But do I want to see us endure the pain of Derby or Burnley in recent seasons? Of course not. I fully understand that playing at home against the likes of Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal etc is far more appealing that seeing us against the likes of Scunny, Donny and Watford but battling for 17th place isn't quite as exciting IMO as winning promotion in the first place.

Could not agree more with that.
              However, would not class the DW as a small old fashioned ground tbh - maybe one of the older "newer" stadiums, but not up there with TM or Bloomfield Rd. But point taken!

Comment

Sir Pie.........those teams do not have the potential that we do.

We have some of the biggest wealth in world football behind us. If they decide to play - then we can play.

Please no one tell me that money doesn't equate to success, because it does.

We have the potential to upset those teams - properly. Not just in a one off game.

It's time for us to take our place at the grown ups table and start a food fight!
                Of course money buys success - Blackburn in the early 90s is a prime example but the likes of Newcastle and Leeds who threw money at an attempt to be successful had 5 minutes of limited success and died away. The likes of Charlton and Southampton had years of being good Premiership teams as did Pompey but again nothing came of it.

With the right manager (and Warnock at that level but not be the right man) and with the backing of our owners we could and should be able to compete. Man City have spent a fortune but Mancini might not be the right man for the job. Lerner is a wealthy man as was Ashley but neither were prepared to spend. Hicks and Gillet allowed a previous successful Benitez to buy dud after dud after dud. Millions have been spent by lots of different teams some with much bigger fanbases then us who had the potential but for one reason or another failed.

Comment

With the right manager (and Warnock at that level but not be the right man).
                  If Warnock gets us promoted, he has earn't the right to manage QPR FC in the premier league, just as Ollie is at Blackpool and in all honesty, Warnock would be better than the current revolving door of failed 'Premier League' managers looking for their next pay day.
                  Last edited by paulmason; 21-09-2010, 03:06 PM.

Comment

....Millions have been spent by lots of different teams some with much bigger fanbases then us who had the potential but for one reason or another failed.
                    Our backer's wealth dwarfs theirs into insignificance. As I said - it all depends whether our backers want to play.

When the seriously rich star to play - you see the results. Chelsea prove that and City will do too, just not this year.

Fans that want medicocrity and failure just so they can be self-righteuos and pretend they are watching "real" football, supported by "real" fans are deluded. You should start cheering when we lose and are comfortable in mid table.
                    twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by paulmason View Post
                      If Warnock gets us promoted, he has earn't the right to manage QPR FC in the premier league, just as Ollie is at Blackpool and in all honesty, Warnock would be better than the current revolving door of failed 'Premier League' managers looking for their next pay day.
                      Of course he would have earned his right to manage us. Arguably if the likes of Holloway and Warnock were deemed good enough to manage at that level then other teams may have appointed them in the past. They haven't but neither had any team appointed Pullis who has done a good job with Stoke so who knows.

Comment

Our backer's wealth dwarfs theirs into insignificance. As I said - it all depends whether our backers want to play.

When the seriously rich star to play - you see the results. Chelsea prove that and City will do too, just not this year.

Fans that want medicocrity and failure just so they can be self-righteuos and pretend they are watching "real" football, supported by "real" fans are deluded. You should start cheering when we lose and are comfortable in mid table.
                        Don't think many are arguing that, simply they are recognising that this might be as good as it gets because it is very, very unlikely we are going to dominate in the premier league like we are in the Championship, whatever you say about the wealth of our owners. But for one season in the mid seventies we had a period in the early nineties when we could compete with the best but its going to take a monumental effort. I too fear a season of getting thumped next year, which is why I'm just enjoying this year rather than worrying too much about where its leading.

Comment

Originally posted by W12_Ranger View Post
                          I personally would miss the Championship if in the Premier League, its a fantastic league, its a shame you have to leave it behind to play in the so called best domestic league in the world.
                          Fookin' ell, I agree with him!

Comment

it has to be watching match of the day and seeing qpr on it. as a relatively young supporter (22), when i was growing up watching football i saw them on it but wasn't really following until the darker days of division 2 so missed out on that!

not so much that it means an hour more sleep every saturday night, it just seems like a big deal to me.

Comment

As you say it does depends on if they want to play.

I and I don't think anyone else is saying that they want to be a mid table championship side. You can't be one to then be a Premiership team. You have no right to talk about the Premiership if that's all you are. We are a team who could go up this season and the possibility of Premiership football is growing as a result. Most fans will no doubt want Premiership football but there are a few of us who actually enjoy the competitiveness of the Championship. Seeing the likes of Sheff Utd and McBoro struggling to go up and then seeing the likes of Saints and Charlton drop out shows just how competitive this league is and having more chance of winning is for some a much better prospect then being thumped weekly if our owners don't back the manager.

My boss who is a London based Burnley fan watched them week in and week out last year including the thrashing against Man City when they were 4 down in the first 15 minutes and other than the final game of the season and the odd match inbetween he hated last season.

Comment

Originally posted by Goddard View Post
                                It boils down to this:
                                A lot of people seem to think that you are either a Premier League Club - or you are nothing.
                                It's not a view I share.

As much as I'd love to see us get promoted, because it would be a fantastic achievement... clearly for many football supporters, there is something about The Premier League (the greatest league in the world??) that stinks.
                                And that's down to the media treatment of the rest of football, Skys money, the behaviour of multi-millionaire players, and greed. £££.

It's probably a view that's mainly held by supporters over a certain age. Not all, but a fair few.
                                With you 100% on this.

Originally posted by paulmason View Post
                                I totally agree and in the 22 matches Warnock has been manager of our club I am convinced he will prove himself in the PL as manger of our club should we get promoted.

Warnock as a manager is now coming into his prime IMO, he's become more chilled out with age and more dynamic in the type of players he works with. Without getting to carried away with our start to the season I have a feeling Warnock may finally have cracked this management game. It took him 7 seasons to get Sheff Utd promoted with good resources, he can do it in one with us.

If Warnock gets us promoted this season I would be proud to have him as our manager in the Premier League.

Comment

Working...
                                X