• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Kosky of Kilburn Times

Just the ticket? Maybe not

01 April 2009

Will you be here next season? He won't.
    By Ben Kosky

THE message couldn't be clearer: stump up your cash right now if you want to watch QPR's top goalscorer in action next season!

That's him. Dexter Blackstock - Rangers' poster boy, the face of the club's future... and on loan to a club in the Championship relegation zone.

You could have been forgiven for thinking it was an early April Fool's joke. Sadly, it was very much in keeping with the absurd, asinine way QPR conduct their football business these days.

But it will be fascinating to see what effect the astonishing decision to offload Blackstock to Nottingham Forest has on Rangers fans pondering whether or not to renew their season tickets.

The club have offered supporters until April 17 - just over a fortnight away - to purchase season tickets at current prices. How much they will be charged after that date remains classified information.

Some fans will be wondering why this supposedly 'ambitious' club are so keen to part with a player who has hit the net more than twice as often as anyone else this season.

Or why the club - following two good home wins that kept the door to the play-offs fractionally ajar - appear to be slamming it shut by sending out such a negative message.

Or why on earth supporters should part with more hard-earned cash so that the board can squander it on ridiculous signings like Daniel Parejo, Damiano Tommasi and Gary Borrowdale all over again.

But footballing logic was swept out long ago at Loftus Road, along with any semblance of a youth policy, Jude the Cat and a number of loyal club stalwarts.

No doubt some optimists will be clutching at the straw of signing a big-name striker in the summer, someone who will bang in 20-plus goals next season and lead the Rs to the Premier League.

Isn't that what we were all expecting this time last year? But the proven goal poacher never materialised because the club were too busy signing players that - with the exception of Kaspars Gorkss and Lee Cook - they didn't actually need.

The question is whether you trust the people who run QPR sufficiently to give them a second chance, to learn from their mistakes and get it right in future.

It might help if any club official had made some attempt to explain the baffling decision to get rid of Blackstock, as Kevin Keegan did after Newcastle sold Andy Cole to Manchester United many moons ago.

Needless to say, the silence from the club is deafening - and perhaps not surprising, given that their last two managers have also had to pack their bags without any kind of official explanation.

That silence says all you need to know, because it would be difficult for QPR to admit the truth, namely that Blackstock had to go purely because interfering co-owner Flavio Briatore took a dislike to him.

Already, a myth has been spun that Paulo Sousa was the one who didn't rate Blackstock - yet, when fit, the striker was involved in almost every game since the coach arrived.

True, Sousa admits he would prefer to play with a traditional target man, but there is no reason why Blackstock should not have been able to feed off that kind of player as the second forward.

Let's not forget, Blackstock - who is still only 22 - rarely had the chance to fill that kind of role at Rangers, yet managed to score goals at a healthy rate in a side that was often average at best.

Who will fill his place remains to be seen. But there may be many other empty spaces at Loftus Road next season.

I fully agree with the Blackstock comments.
    Good to see a journo has noticed he's far better than half our fans like to admit.
    Your mum would love me...

Comment

Originally posted by BennyBoyRs View Post
      I fully agree with the Blackstock comments.
      Good to see a journo has noticed he's far better than half our fans like to admit.
      To be fair, BK actually knows his subject which gives him a huge advantage over "half our fans". :bad_smile:
      #standuptocancer
      #inyourfacecancer

Comment

Plays versus Southampton.

gets completely dropped out of the squad against Bristol City.

The kid was in bits and wants to play first team football, its that simple.

If Sousa did want to play him, he had plenty of opportunity !!

STARTING WITH IPSWICH AT HOME
        ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
        THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Why are you angling this at PS pete? Kosky says and many others that FB is the one who didn't rate DB and had him shipped out to forest, he eve says that when DB was fit he played in almost every game under PS. Perhaps yourself and DFE might think of a new strategy for your anti-Sousa campaign
          Win or lose, on the booze

Comment

I didn't particularly rate Blackstock either. Certainly not worth turning down the kind of dough Forest were waving around.

The proviso here is that Briatore doesn't put that cash in the pockets of his mates at Madrid and Genoa and allows a "proper" scout to recommend a proven Championship striker.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluehoop View Post
              To be fair, BK actually knows his subject which gives him a huge advantage over "half our fans". :bad_smile:
              You lot are talking rubbish. The only person on this board who clearly knows his stuff is the one and only (albeit insane) DEXTERFORENGLAN!

Comment

qprjim.

facts don't lie.

Blackstock has played, then been dropped.

Not making anything up.

No real reason why he should be dropped completely against Bristol City?

As for Flavio, Dowie is not manager. Sousa is in charge of team affairs.
                THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Dexter started in the five games up to and including Southampton, without scoring or even looking like scoring.

So Sousa did play him Pete.

Comment

But didn't play versus Swansea or Bristol City.

4 games and never scored, fair point.

Comment

;D
                      Originally posted by qblockpete View Post
                      qprjim.

facts don't lie.

Blackstock has played, then been dropped.

Not making anything up.

No real reason why he should be dropped completely against Bristol City?

As for Flavio, Dowie is not manager. Sousa is in charge of team affairs.
                      qblockpete

your right facts don't lie.

Blackstock has figured in the vast majority of games under PS, which to me suggests that PS rates him.

Looks to me like FB, seeing that DB hadn't netted since Jan stuck his oar in farmed DB out to make way for his golden boy SDC, hence why he was omitted from the squad for brizzle as PS hands were tied.

I guess it all comes down to whether you are a supporter of PS as to how you read these situations

Comment

Swansea and Bristol, games that we won. Some fans could maybe congratulate Sousa for being brave enough to drop the top scorer in order to find a winning system.

And it was 5 games on the trot that Blackstock failed to score in or look like scoring in. Not getting at him but to say that Sousa didnt pick him is just plain wrong

Comment

you telling me paying De Carmine up front on his own versus Ipswich, was the right thing to do?

Please look again.

How many games did our top scorer play in January?

Comment

Originally posted by qblockpete View Post
                            you telling me paying De Carmine up front on his own versus Ipswich, was the right thing to do?

Please look again.

How many games did our top scorer play in January?

Sorry where did I say that?

I was commenting on PS and DB.

I didn't think my post was unclear

Comment

Well it was against Bristol and Swansea.

Can you remember when Blackstock actually had a good game for us?

Comment

Working...
                              X