Work on Brentfords new ground has started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work on Brentfords new ground has started

I had a small part in getting this in motion a few years ago so perhaps QPR should employ me to get our own place sorted

A ground breaking ceremony took place this Monday as the Muttitt family put the first spade into the ground in what will be Brentford Football Club's new home.

The search for a new ground has been a long journey for Brentford's supporters who helped defeat a ground share at Woking in 2001 let alone the proposed take over bid in 1967. Luke Kirton was elected Brentford ward councillor as representative of the A-Bee-C party formed by Brentford fans and the new trust Bees United came into being.

Brian Burgess led Bees United and brought the current owner Matthew Benham on board which paved the way for the new stadium at Lionel Road, which is expected to be finished in December 2019, part-way through the 2019-20 season.

The new development has not been without controversy as local amenity groups objected to the perceived over-development of 910 homes in order to finance the stadium. The original stadium as approved was then quietly amended last December to make it Premier League and Premiership Rugby compliant and reducing the proposed capacity from 20,000 to 17,250. London Irish have been granted a licence to play at the stadium although the commercial ground-share agreement with BFC has yet to be agreed.

Ernie MuttittA family of Brentford supporters, Robert Muttitt, 70, together with his son, Peter Muttitt, daughter, Nicki Todd, and one year old granddaughter Sophie, were chosen to have the honour of putting the first spade into the ground.

The Muttitt family association with Brentford goes back to the Club’s golden period in the 1930s when Robert’s father, Ernie Muttitt (pictured), joined Brentford from Middlesbrough. He played for the Club from 1932 to 1947 and was inducted to the Brentford Hall of Fame in 2015. Robert’s support for the club naturally began from an early age and he even recalls having his first ‘swimming lesson’ in the player's big bath!

Robert said: “We were so delighted to have the chance to take part in the ceremony today. I have so many old memories of the Club, swimming in the player’s bath, watching my father and others train on Tuesday and Thursday nights and playing football and cricket outside the old wooden entrance on Braemar Road. Now I am looking forward to the new ground, a great future and new memories – which hopefully will include my family and I watching Brentford play in the Premier League.”

Guests at the ground-breaking included Leader of Hounslow Council, Councillor Steve Curran, Ruth Cadbury MP for Brentford and Isleworth, fans, staff and players from BFC, representatives from the developer Be Living, the architects and other consultants who have worked on the project.

The site enabling works will be continuing this month, allowing for the start on site for the stadium and phase one residential work during April.

The development will deliver a 17,250 capacity stadium, 910 much-needed new homes, a new base for Brentford FC Community Sports Trust and other commercial elements to help regenerate the local area. The new stadium is due to be completed during the 2019/20 season.

Councillor Steve Curran, Leader of Hounslow Council said: “It’s great to see the new stadium development underway. Brentford FC is a very important part of local life with bold ambitions for the future, matched by the scale of the wider regeneration programme for the area. This includes the addition of 910 much-needed new homes along with businesses which once built, will revitalise the whole area.”

Good luck to them.

Brentford will soon have better stadium and facilities then us but some of our fans still insist queuing 20mins to use the toilet, being unable to sit straight in your seat and being unable to buy food without missing last ten minutes of the first half is the future

Comment

Fans act without thinking on takeovers sometimes! In this case they missed the boat in 1967 they could well now be playing in a shared stadium on the site of the old Brentford market what Jim Gregory wanted

Comment

17250 isn't much though.

Probably make a good ground.

Comment

We were always second best of the Westish London sides, only Chelsea ahead of us, breaks my heart to say it but we have been overtaken by Fulham and arguably now on a par with or overtaken by Brentford, certainly will be once there new ground is complete.

Chelsea getting new ground, Brentford getting new ground, Fulham getting new main stand taking capacity too 30k then there is us

At best as a club we’re standing still while others pass us

Comment

Even closer to us than Griffin Park, they're encroaching on our territory!

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
              We were always second best of the Westish London sides, only Chelsea ahead of us, breaks my heart to say it but we have been overtaken by Fulham and arguably now on a par with or overtaken by Brentford, certainly will be once there new ground is complete.

Chelsea getting new ground, Brentford getting new ground, Fulham getting new main stand taking capacity too 30k then there is us

At best as a club we’re standing still while others pass us
              It doesn't just apply to west London tho buddy with orient out of the league and afc wimbledon plans for their return in new stadium on the dog track , we will have the worse stadium in where ? London

Comment

painful reading

Comment

OP stirring? Do we really need salt rubbed into our wound like this? So what if our stadium plans are faltering, we need to have faith in the club leadership, they are competent businessmen and we will get our new stadium, screw Brentford.
                  Banning people is no longer my hobby,
                  but take a look at my photo blog:

http://kirillqpr.blogspot.com/

How and why did I start supporting QPR in Estonia:
                  http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/blog.php?b=852

Comment

17,250. The emphasis seems to be on housing and other 'commercial elements'.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirill View Post
                      OP stirring? Do we really need salt rubbed into our wound like this? So what if our stadium plans are faltering, we need to have faith in the club leadership, they are competent businessmen and we will get our new stadium, screw Brentford.
                      Is it failing though? Brentford have been in talks for a new stadium for almost 2 decades, they've gone through all the issues we are facing. Securing a site, planning permission, objections from the council/residents etc. Thats why I found it hilarious when people got annoyed 5 years ago when they announced we were looking. Did people assume we would get a 35k stadium just like that?

17.5k for Brentford seems a bit on the low side considering it will be their home for the next 100 odd years

Comment

Originally posted by davieqpr View Post
                        17,250. The emphasis seems to be on housing and other 'commercial elements'.
                        A lot of compromises have been made to make the new ground viable including no social housing at all which is extremely rare if not unheard of these days and the site where it is being built is so small its amazing how they have managed to squeeze a ground in there in the first place

Comment

Apparently they have scaled back capacity from 21k and put more into hospitality as that’s where money is

Comment

Apparently they have scaled back capacity from 21k and put more into hospitality as that’s where money is

Comment

will they have a pub on each corner though? Missing a trick if they're sharing with London Irish. Good luck to them anyway
                              I must away now, I can no longer tarry
                              This morning's tempest I have to cross
                              I must be guided without a stumble
                              Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Working...
                              X