Full marks to Holloway for....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full marks to Holloway for....

....having the guts to leave Freeman out last night. Undoubtedly a talented player but the first half showed how quickly we can get forward and work a defence without all the stepovers and 360s. Big difference Eze, a kid, beats someone and passes. It works. Freeman came on with a point to prove and scored - let's hope he's learnt something. Much has been posted on here about the squad being better than Holloway gets out of it. Ok, one game - and Foolham to come - but last night showed there is a lot more we could have seen this season with the right formation and a shake up of the midfield occasionally.

Fully agree. And he made a big impact coming on from the bench too.
    Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
    Pawel Wszolek - 6
    Luke Freeman - 6
    Matt Smith - 6
    Ebere Eze - 4
    Joel Lynch - 3
    Tomer Hemed - 3
    Toni Leistner - 2
    Massimo Luongo- 2
    Angel Rangel - 2
    Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
    Geoff Cameron - 1
    Aramide Oteh - 1
    Jake Bidwell - 1
    Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

I actually hope that bank of 3 in the midfield, and the general perception that they are the first names on the team sheet is now a thing of the past. I know Freeman likes to play through the middle, but I far prefer Scowen and Mas in there with a bit of pace on at least 1 wing.

Freeman through the middle, with everything (that isn't hit long) going through him is predictable and often slow. Pace out wide just gives us another attacking option. I hope we stick with this set up. Flat back 4, Mas and Scowen in in the middle. Choice of Sylla or Smith up front, then Freeman, Eze, Smyth, Pawel, BOS etc fighting it out for the 3 remaining spots.
      Last edited by Tarbie; 14-03-2018, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alanwycombe View Post
        ....having the guts to leave Freeman out last night. Undoubtedly a talented player but the first half showed how quickly we can get forward and work a defence without all the stepovers and 360s. Big difference Eze, a kid, beats someone and passes. It works. Freeman came on with a point to prove and scored - let's hope he's learnt something. Much has been posted on here about the squad being better than Holloway gets out of it. Ok, one game - and Foolham to come - but last night showed there is a lot more we could have seen this season with the right formation and a shake up of the midfield occasionally.
        Fully agree. Though we've looked much better since Forest. 4 at the back big difference of course.

Wonder if the players are proving a point as a unit? Could've been a mini revolt?

Whatever the difference it's obviously working. A result against Fulham will be the end of the matter.

Comment

He left him out because he was one yellow card away from suspension. Following last night's game he's back to zero again. So basic common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
            He left him out because he was one yellow card away from suspension. Following last night's game he's back to zero again. So basic common sense.

Comment

true... but holloway may have accidentally stumbled across something in the process.

imo, one of the reasons that we've struggled away from home is that we've lacked the players to counterattack effectively. i thought the pace and directness of players in midfield like eze, pav and manning allowed us to do that much better last night.

Comment

Originally posted by klonk View Post
                true... but holloway may have accidentally stumbled across something in the process.

imo, one of the reasons that we've struggled away from home is that we've lacked the players to counterattack effectively. i thought the pace and directness of players in midfield like eze, pav and manning allowed us to do that much better last night.
                Accidentally stumbling across the right formula seems to be Ollie's trademark!

Comment

Fair play to him, credit where credit's due he got it bang on. More of that please Ollie.
                  You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Why on earth then did he bring him on - yellow card can come anytime in the match
                    Another thing is that Freeman has 5 cards whole season 2 of them after New Year so he was in no danger

Comment

Originally posted by hh9 View Post
                      Why on earth then did he bring him on - yellow card can come anytime in the match
                      Another thing is that Freeman has 5 cards whole season 2 of them after New Year so he was in no danger
                      He's had 9 this season, so one more would = ban. That's my understanding anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Alanwycombe View Post
                        ....having the guts to leave Freeman out last night.
                        on the flip side, I wonder how much of a meltdown it would have been on here if we'd have lost and Freeman was not involved.

Comment

If the intention was to protect him from suspension then you would not bring him on. I reckon he was dropped as he has great stats on paper but st same time kills lots of moves

Response to mush if we had lost without him don’t think anyone would have cared as we have lost plenty away with him. Ollie tried something new and it worked that’s managers job

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                            If the intention was to protect him from suspension then you would not bring him on. I reckon he was dropped as he has great stats on paper but st same time kills lots of moves
                            Cracking goal though you gotta admit Westy?

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post

Response to mush if we had lost without him don’t think anyone would have cared as we have lost plenty away with him. Ollie tried something new and it worked that’s managers job
                              Seeing as Freeman's absence was predicted long before kick off for this very reason (avoiding a 10th yellow), I don't find it an unlikely scenario. Bringing Freeman on with 10 minutes to go was a risk, perhaps, but a minor one compared to starting him.

Comment

Working...
                              X