80s/90s Acid, House 'n' Hip-Hop Choons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That last bit made me laugh Fraggy !
    I started in 89 doing the M25 Acid partys and East London Warehouse dos . Biology ,Sunrise ,Energy etc club wise in those days was Astoria Saturday or Busbys next door Friday , Balaric nights at the Park in Kensington ,Ziggys Streatham ,Camden Palace ,Continental in Wandsworth Rd,Garage City.
    Stayed with the scene till the mid nineties ,places like Peach , UK ,Jus House , One for You ,Chunnell club ,Bagleys ( rubber wall ,anyone ? ) Sterns worthing.
    We had a really good innings ,and like whats been said we had a few casualtys along the way .RIP.
    Best days ever ,but the scooter scene was calling again as most of the NF had left by then , but i still remember the 89 to 92 days , sort of !!
    Rangers,Scooters ,Tunes and Trainers

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
      Ealing = Haven Stables or Broadway Boulevard?
      Southall = Tudor Rose, Americas or Barbarellas?
      Eailing was Bullys (Broadway Boulevard), Southall was Tudors.
      Camden was ok if nothing else was on or you had been kicked out of somewhere else. Remember working a night shift at Mornington Cres during a renovation, walked outside for some air about 1 or 2 in the morning and witnessed what was akin to a scene from Warrior, 2 firms having running battles with baseball bats in the middle of the road, 1 guy thrown through a kebab shop window, absolutly crazy.
      Vesps; I also did the M25 runs, can't remember the radio station name, but listening to clues then setting off on convoy; many a weekend spent trying to stay 1 step ahead of OB.
      We ended up having a fight with a bunch of guys from 1 radio station, they were acting like dicks when we called in for info, ended up meeting on a side street in Harlesden at 2am on a Saturday night, Sunday morning.
      Crazy days and yes, a fair few casualties on route.
      Laura Betts apples anyone?
      Minds Are Like Parachutes.
      Work Best When Open...
      @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Vesps, Sterns was a proper laugh, pulled Colin Dales younger brothers ex in there
        Work Best When Open...
        @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Originally posted by vespa View Post
          That last bit made me laugh Fraggy !
          I started in 89 doing the M25 Acid partys and East London Warehouse dos . Biology ,Sunrise ,Energy etc club wise in those days was Astoria Saturday or Busbys next door Friday , Balaric nights at the Park in Kensington ,Ziggys Streatham ,Camden Palace ,Continental in Wandsworth Rd,Garage City.
          Stayed with the scene till the mid nineties ,places like Peach , UK ,Jus House , One for You ,Chunnell club ,Bagleys ( rubber wall ,anyone ? ) Sterns worthing.
          We had a really good innings ,and like whats been said we had a few casualtys along the way .RIP.
          Best days ever ,but the scooter scene was calling again as most of the NF had left by then , but i still remember the 89 to 92 days , sort of !!
          Great hearing all those again, used to do the illegals waiting around for hours on end waiting for the directions, used to love going to the dungeons leabridge road 89 time & used to go allover, but with living in the midlands so used to travel everywhere, raindance was always a fav & a year later on with the perceptions etc, stopped going to the really big doos in bout mid 92 when things got daft with jungle and bpms speeding up,so back to house clubs and diy doos, had some amazing times
          http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Originally posted by Fraggy View Post
            Vesps, Sterns was a proper laugh, pulled Colin Dales younger brothers ex in there
            Never went to sterns but it looked a cracking club fraggy

Comment

Sterns was great times. I used to go see Fabio and Grooverider at Rage on Thursday nights. As it ended at 3am, we were always looking for somewhere else to go afterwards. Got an invite to Fabios private birthday bash in a club somewhere on Cold harbour Lane in Brixton, while there 1 of their entourage told us about Sterns that upcoming weekend; great venue great people and excellent DJs.
              Agree about the big outdoor events going crazy when Jungle and plus 140bpms became the norm; once that happened, the only big events I attended was Gay Pride in South London once a year.
              I remember Moby bringing out a tune at that time called 1000bpms. Basically a drumbeat that slowly made its way upto 1000bpms, I believe he was trying to make fun of the jungle scene at that point.
              Saw him live at Wembley arena during his 18 tour, he did a DJ mix off with that years winner of the world mixing championships; not only did I have no idea that Moby could mix (he had come mainstream by this point), but he wiped the floor with the world champ. Absolutely amazing and inspiring.
              Work Best When Open...
              @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Sterns was great times. I used to go see Fabio and Grooverider at Rage on Thursday nights. As it ended at 3am, we were always looking for somewhere else to go afterwards. Got an invite to Fabios private birthday bash in a club somewhere on Cold harbour Lane in Brixton, while there 1 of their entourage told us about Sterns that upcoming weekend; great venue great people and excellent DJs.
                Agree about the big outdoor events going crazy when Jungle and plus 140bpms became the norm; once that happened, the only big events I attended was Gay Pride in South London once a year.
                I remember Moby bringing out a tune at that time called 1000bpms. Basically a drumbeat that slowly made its way upto 1000bpms, I believe he was trying to make fun of the jungle scene at that point.
                Saw him live at Wembley arena during his 18 tour, he did a DJ mix off with that years winner of the world mixing championships; not only did I have no idea that Moby could mix (he had come mainstream by this point), but he wiped the floor with the world champ. Absolutely amazing and inspiring.
                There was a Moby thread on LFW the other day and it made me dig out Play again as I haven't listened to it for a while. That was a real groundbreaking album. And 'Go' still sounds great even now which was even earlier.

Comment

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Waltham_Airfield

and

Valbonnes/Skindles

and

The Greyhound/Queens

Comment

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post
                    There was a Moby thread on LFW the other day and it made me dig out Play again as I haven't listened to it for a while. That was a real groundbreaking album. And 'Go' still sounds great even now which was even earlier.
                    Agree, Go was great. Although no longer have vinyl or decks, I dabble occasionally on virtual DJ and have mixed Go up a few times.
                    Another one from that era was Charlie Says, I think it was The Prodigy?
                    Work Best When Open...
                    @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Agree, Go was great. Although no longer have vinyl or decks, I dabble occasionally on virtual DJ and have mixed Go up a few times.
                      Another one from that era was Charlie Says, I think it was The Prodigy?
                      Yeah got hammered did charlie

Comment

Really enjoying this thread. The fact I may have sweated on one or 2 of you back in the day and vice versa, makes it that much more special
                        We need to move over to the non QPR section as I believe this thread could have legs over there.
                        Currently on the road, so attempting to move the non QPR parts of this thread while on my phone would be difficult; so if someone wants to start a new thread in the non QPR section, it would be appreciated
                        Work Best When Open...
                        @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Is that Club 414 your talking about in Cold Habour Lane? It's was literally like a house where they'd ripped all the internal walls out downstairs to make a dance floor. It's where we used to end up on a Sunday when we weren't ready to go home, but were too mangled to go anywhere else! ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
                            Is that Club 414 your talking about in Cold Habour Lane? It's was literally like a house where they'd ripped all the internal walls out downstairs to make a dance floor. It's where we used to end up on a Sunday when we weren't ready to go home, but were too mangled to go anywhere else! ha ha
                            That sounds right. Usually would be arriving at 4am so memory was not great. Remember from the outside it looked nothing like a club. You walked through the first door where you were patted down by 2 rastas, then they opened the second door and suddenly the b line and smoke machine hit you. Also anything went, zero rules except no weapons
                            Work Best When Open...
                            @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

That sounds right. Usually would be arriving at 4am so memory was not great. Remember from the outside it looked nothing like a club. You walked through the first door where you were patted down by 2 rastas, then they opened the second door and suddenly the b line and smoke machine hit you. Also anything went, zero rules except no weapons
                              Yeah, that's 414. You literally walked straight onto the dance floor as you came through the front door, the DJ booth was to your left. The bar in there had an old chest fridge in there, nothing fancy or on tap. Then upstairs there was chill out area with a little tea room where you could by a cup of tea or a sandwich (not that anyone ever bought one). Ha ha

Right peculiar place, but it had kind of a cult following. We used to go there quite a bit. Think it was open from Thursday evening straight through to Monday morning. They would kick you out every time they changed promotion/DJ's and make you pay in again though...........Good times! Ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post
                                Never went to sterns but it looked a cracking club fraggy
                                It was excellent mate ,we used travel about 30 handed down there , we`d meet at the Beverly in Morden and go in convoy. The search was always quite strong ,but we always got through haha, Downstairs was the hardest room , remember hearing Jesus Loves the Acid there , and going mental .
                                It was on National Trust property and after we`d be puffing in the car park coming down ,whilst van loads of old people who had just got up , had come for a Sunday stroll , they`d be looking at us like WTF !!!
                                Then it was a case of driving back to South London without getting a tug from the OB
                                Rangers,Scooters ,Tunes and Trainers

Comment

Working...
                                X