Big lump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post
    Yep from what i was watching we was playing some very nice stuff & on the back of that forest result, that showed alot of character & it was not a ground out result at all lol, you do make me laugh mate, we outplayed them most of the night.
    But I'm not talking about character, or the fact we outplayed them. I've already acknowledged that it was a decent performance. My point is that it was predominantly long ball football. And it's not a style of play that is ever likely to win you many trophies.

This is the problem here mate. You cannot take any criticism of Ollie whatsoever. I on the other hand prefer to give credit where credit is due, and criticise when something isn't good enough. I think I've been the same with every manager we've had in recent years. It really isn't my fault that Ollie offers me more to complain about than to praise!

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
      But I'm not talking about character, or the fact we outplayed them. I've already acknowledged that it was a decent performance. My point is that it was predominantly long ball football. And it's not a style of play that is ever likely to win you many trophies.

This is the problem here mate. You cannot take any criticism of Ollie whatsoever. I on the other hand prefer to give credit where credit is due, and criticise when something isn't good enough. I think I've been the same with every manager we've had in recent years. It really isn't my fault that Ollie offers me more to complain about than to praise!
      Absolute rubbish, we was mixing it up last night & they struggled to keep up with us, so we didnt grind the result out as you said & they was proper crosses to smith, only saw a couple of lumps at the end trying to get the second, i cant take anything anyone says tarbs, its a message board of opinions, its just that it gets filled with anti ollie rubbish all the time regardless, too many love digging him out no matter even if hes done well, i can take that as being on this board you have to otherwise leave.
      http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Absolute rubbish, we was mixing it up last night & they struggled to keep up with us, so we didnt grind the result out as you said & they was proper crosses to smith, only saw a couple of lumps at the end trying to get the second, i cant take anything anyone says tarbs, its a message board of opinions, its just that it gets filled with anti ollie rubbish all the time regardless, too many love digging him out no matter even if hes done well, i can take that as being on this board you have to otherwise leave.
        Opinions ain't it mate. Clearly you and I see different things, and have different ideas.

For me, when you see a manager play a centre half up top when he's chasing a game, you should have a pretty good idea of the brand of football he's trying to produce.

Comment

Opinions ain't it mate. Clearly you and I see different things, and have different ideas.

For me, when you see a manager play a centre half up top when he's chasing a game, you should have a pretty good idea of the brand of football he's trying to produce.
          ok so what other striker could he bring on instead for those last minutes? syllas injured tarbs, smith had a head knock and was bout dead on his legs after that

Comment

ok so what other striker could he bring on instead for those last minutes? syllas injured tarbs, smith had a head knock and was bout dead on his legs after that
            Don't disagree that Smith was knackered and needed to come off. Ollie had also played his 2 number 9's from the start, and the only real offensive players on the bench were Pawel (who came on at right back) and Eze (who came on in the midfield).

Personally, I'd have not started Conor and played a 4-4-2, with Smyth playing off of Smith. There are many reasons why that would make sense. Firstly we could have selected a proper winger, I reckon Pawel from the start on the right wing would have thrived last night. Secondly, I think our midfield would have looked at little more solid with Mas and Scowen in the middle and Freeman pushed wide left. Not that the midfield played badly at all, but they did momentarily get over run in the build up to the Derby goal. On top of that we would have had a striker to bring on when Smith inevitably started blowing from his arris.

All of the above is just my opinion. But what is definitely true is that very few managers at this level would choose to bring a centre half with 1 goal to his name this season on as a centre forward. But Ollie has previous for this type of thing, so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised.

Comment

Don't worry everyone....... Mackie's back soon. It'll all be sorted. Mackie and Wash it'll be.

Comment

Yep from what i was watching we was playing some very nice stuff & on the back of that forest result, that showed alot of character & it was not a ground out result at all lol, you do make me laugh mate, we outplayed them most of the night.
                General opinion amongst fellow season ticket holders was that it was a good performance.Totally dominated until they scored and thoroghly deserved the point and had chances for all 3. We were speculating on Derby & FFP even the subs were big££££.

Comment

Originally posted by Artful View Post
                  General opinion amongst fellow season ticket holders was that it was a good performance.Totally dominated until they scored and thoroghly deserved the point and had chances for all 3. We were speculating on Derby & FFP even the subs were big££££.
                  Nice1 artful, how i saw it too & with loads of positives aswell.

Comment

Then when Smith couldn't run anymore, your boy brought Lynch on as a striker and we hoofed it to him instead.

Not knocking the outcome or the performance. I'm happy enough if Ollie continues to grind out results like that. But let's not pretend that it's good football.
                    Did we lump it to Lynch ALL the time ? His last minute chance was almost the move of the season !!!?

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                      Did we lump it to Lynch ALL the time ? His last minute chance was almost the move of the season !!!?
                      Would have been a cracking goal if Lynch had finished to be fair mate.

As I say mate. Not knocking last night at all. I've repeated many times that it was a good battling performance and a decent point.

The only argument here is that Pinkie took exception to me pointing out that Ollie's teams typically don't play silky, free flowing football. Pinkie felt last night was proof that his team sometimes do. Not for me, last night was an exhibition in running around a lot and hitting it long, with a couple of moments of quality from Smyth, Mas and Eze chucked in for good measure. And there is nothing wrong with that, but I ain't kidding myself out the type of football we're playing!

Comment

Would have been a cracking goal if Lynch had finished to be fair mate.

As I say mate. Not knocking last night at all. I've repeated many times that it was a good battling performance and a decent point.

The only argument here is that Pinkie took exception to me pointing out that Ollie's teams typically don't play silky, free flowing football. Pinkie felt last night was proof that his team sometimes do. Not for me, last night was an exhibition in running around a lot and hitting it long, with a couple of moments of quality from Smyth, Mas and Eze chucked in for good measure. And there is nothing wrong with that, but I ain't kidding myself out the type of football we're playing!
                        Fair point there fella

Comment

for a big guy, Smith has had a really hard time aiming his headers recently which is a shame. The number of headers he's had where it should have been at least on target is mind boggling.
                          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

I’m fed up hearing we’re playing good football, we’re not we’re a long ball team plain and simple, very little point having Smith in team if we’re not going long. Ned, Robinson, Bidwell, Scowen, Smithies all launch the ball to Smith who is actually, for his size, not very good at holding it up or flicking it on.

Do we play the odd bit of smart football, yes here and there but not enough to detract from fact the primary tactic is to go long. Take Smith off put Lynch on, again your not doing that to play nice triangles the sole intention is to retain a big man so can keep playing long ball tactic

I’m not complaining as regardless yesterday we played well that way and deserved more then what we got but I don’t get why some fans are unable to just hold hands up and say we play direct football. It’s the style of the manager, he played for Wimbledon in their prime when they were successful launching the ball so to some extent I get why he favours it he’s seen it work

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                              I’m fed up hearing we’re playing good football, we’re not we’re a long ball team plain and simple, very little point having Smith in team if we’re not going long. Ned, Robinson, Bidwell, Scowen, Smithies all launch the ball to Smith who is actually, for his size, not very good at holding it up or flicking it on.

Do we play the odd bit of smart football, yes here and there but not enough to detract from fact the primary tactic is to go long. Take Smith off put Lynch on, again your not doing that to play nice triangles the sole intention is to retain a big man so can keep playing long ball tactic

I’m not complaining as regardless yesterday we played well that way and deserved more then what we got but I don’t get why some fans are unable to just hold hands up and say we play direct football. It’s the style of the manager, he played for Wimbledon in their prime when they were successful launching the ball so to some extent I get why he favours it he’s seen it work
                              Thank you mate. If you listen to Pinkie, he'd have you believe it was like watching Man City last night. Dunno why we can't call it what it was. Decent, hard working performance, but without a doubt, direct and predominantly long ball football.

Comment

Thank you mate. If you listen to Pinkie, he'd have you believe it was like watching Man City last night. Dunno why we can't call it what it was. Decent, hard working performance, but without a doubt, direct and predominantly long ball football.
                                Yes, the main improvement from last night was having a flat back four. Defence looked a lot more assured as a result (confirmed too by Robbo's quotes). That assurance from the back did spread though the team though, as we looked more confident and kept possession better. Now if only he could add some wingers to the equation we'd be in business. Just goes to show the importance of team shape and players feeling comfortable in their roles. #RoundPegsRoundHoles

Comment

Working...
                                X