Big lump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big lump

Time to drop the 'tactic' of big lump up front and play to feet to quick youngsters? I know this is a total anathema for Holloway but surely even he can see that Smith only gets his head on anything coming in on crosses - that until last night we rarely deliver. The rest of the time he's in a defender's pocket and when he does get a flick on no one is running off anyway. Smyth and Eze caused far more problems running with the ball so come on, show you are serious about youth and play football instead of being so stubborn and obsessed that you have to play Lynch as a centre forward.

Have to say al i disagree with you there totally, last night we did both and thats even better, having pace and flare & having it on the floor aswell, that gives the opposition everything to think about, eze on for washington and that was a great balance last night. And he took smith off as he was knackered and had had a knock to his head & theres no sylla to bring on for a few mins, but lynch isnt arf bad mate & has a good left peg
    http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post
      Have to say al i disagree with you there totally, last night we did both and thats even better, having pace and flare & having it on the floor aswell, that gives the opposition everything to think about, eze on for washington and that was a great balance last night. And he took smith off as he was knackered and had had a knock to his head & theres no sylla to bring on for a few mins, but lynch isnt arf bad mate & has a good left peg
      You will always disagree. I can live with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Alanwycombe View Post
        Time to drop the 'tactic' of big lump up front and play to feet to quick youngsters? I know this is a total anathema for Holloway but surely even he can see that Smith only gets his head on anything coming in on crosses - that until last night we rarely deliver. The rest of the time he's in a defender's pocket and when he does get a flick on no one is running off anyway. Smyth and Eze caused far more problems running with the ball so come on, show you are serious about youth and play football instead of being so stubborn and obsessed that you have to play Lynch as a centre forward.
        True Alan, but it's only quite recently Ollie's been playing Smith from the start. So perhaps there's hope he'll stop doing that, so long as the penny's finally dropped with him over CW. Also to be fair to Smith he should have been awarded several penalties this season with blatant fouls on him, but bizarrely refs seem to ignore this because of his size. Funny as I always thought a foul is a foul regardless of that.

Comment

Saw the thread title and thought I was on some sort of NHS forum....
          SIR LESLIE FERDINAND!!

Comment

I will be in minority but I would show Smith door at the end of the season or tell him your bench player

Comment

Originally posted by Alanwycombe View Post
              You will always disagree. I can live with that.
              So his opinion isn't valid then?
              I thought we played some nice stuff last night as well as the lumping up to Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                I will be in minority but I would show Smith door at the end of the season or tell him your bench player
                I think a bench player is a good option for him - to be used when chasing a game as a plan B

Comment

Big lump always a handy tool to have for a championship squad

Comment

Drop the only man who scores in our sqaud. I'm totally up for that.

Comment

Depends on how you look at the situation in my opinion.

Let's be honest, Ollie is never going to have us playing silky, free flowing football, even if he had the personnel to do so (which on the whole he doesn't). Yeah, we've got some talented young players coming through, but we have nobody in the middle of the park that can pick a pass. And even if we did, Ollies sides have never consistently played that sort of cultured football anyway.

I'd love to see us ditch the long ball game, pick one of our talented young attacking players along side Sylla with a bit of pace on the wings, and play a bit of proper football. But we just won't under Holloway.

Selecting Smith, playing a fair bit of long ball, and battling hard will keep us in the division this season. As long as we can keep hold of, or replace our current keeper and defenders in the summer, it'll probably keep us up next season too. What it won't do is ever have us challenging for promotion, in my opinion.

It is all a matter of expectations, that's how I see it. And I suspect from the noises coming out f Tony and Les, the clubs expectations are lower than ours on here these days!

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
                        Depends on how you look at the situation in my opinion.

Let's be honest, Ollie is never going to have us playing silky, free flowing football, even if he had the personnel to do so (which on the whole he doesn't). Yeah, we've got some talented young players coming through, but we have nobody in the middle of the park that can pick a pass. And even if we did, Ollies sides have never consistently played that sort of cultured football anyway.

I'd love to see us ditch the long ball game, pick one of our talented young attacking players along side Sylla with a bit of pace on the wings, and play a bit of proper football. But we just won't under Holloway.

Selecting Smith, playing a fair bit of long ball, and battling hard will keep us in the division this season. As long as we can keep hold of, or replace our current keeper and defenders in the summer, it'll probably keep us up next season too. What it won't do is ever have us challenging for promotion, in my opinion.

It is all a matter of expectations, that's how I see it. And I suspect from the noises coming out f Tony and Les, the clubs expectations are lower than ours on here these days!
                        No chance Tarbie

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post
                          This should be the plan if 433 is the go.

If 442 then still see a role for Smith depending on the opposition. Just because he's big doesn't mean he doesn't offer things on the ground. Plus the inteference he can cause from any set piece is always useful.

Comment

Originally posted by topperharley View Post
                            This should be the plan if 433 is the go.

If 442 then still see a role for Smith depending on the opposition. Just because he's big doesn't mean he doesn't offer things on the ground. Plus the inteference he can cause from any set piece is always useful.
                            Personally I'd go 4-4-1-1 with Smyth or Eze playing off of Smith or Sylla. Or 4-5-1, again you could accommodate Smyth in that system as one of your offensively minded midfielders.

The obvious one that needs to be dropped to the bench is Conor for me. Tried him in all sorts of roles offensively, and almost always comes up short.

Comment

smith has been doing well lately for us up front and is a lot more fit than he previously has been imo. he was real good against bolton and got a goal against forest too. i dont think we should drop him anytime soon as hes earned his place in the starting 11 and offers something different up front, last night he wasnt really as good as he could of been but itd be unfair to drop him so soon imo

Comment

Working...
                              X