In fairness to Holloway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In fairness to Holloway

If the season finished today he would have actually put us where most of us were anticipating and thought we would finish (above relegation zone).

The football is dire to watch, the tactics baffle you, away from home we’re shocking but some way or the other he manages to nick wins against the sides which matter so for all the negatives he brings thus far got to say it’s job done

We won’t go down and we will continue to win a few lose a few between now and end of the season and on that basis can probably put strong arguement forward, if you like Ollie, that he should retain job next season too

We need stability and if he can churn out comfortable mid table finishes does that make up for his shortcomings???

I still think this side is way better then there currently performing and placed in league but I would have taken this position at start of the season

it doesn't really matter what we think. He will be here next season with a contract extension around Christmas. The only debatable point for next season is whether Mackie gets a one year contract extension.

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
      If the season finished today he would have actually put us where most of us were anticipating and thought we would finish (above relegation zone).

The football is dire to watch, the tactics baffle you, away from home we’re shocking but some way or the other he manages to nick wins against the sides which matter so for all the negatives he brings thus far got to say it’s job done

We won’t go down and we will continue to win a few lose a few between now and end of the season and on that basis can probably put strong arguement forward, if you like Ollie, that he should retain job next season too

We need stability and if he can churn out comfortable mid table finishes does that make up for his shortcomings???

I still think this side is way better then there currently performing and placed in league but I would have taken this position at start of the season
      That's a fair post that sums things up well West considering you are not a fan of Ollie's!
      @gatorTFC

Comment

It's about expectation levels. Average players playing their best won't give fans Barca style football that they crave. Low spend won't put us up there competing with the top 6 even though we were once a prem side. Fans who moan need to adjust their expectations, there's simply no other explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
          It's about expectation levels. Average players playing their best won't give fans Barca style football that they crave. Low spend won't put us up there competing with the top 6 even though we were once a prem side. Fans who moan need to adjust their expectations, there's simply no other explanation.
          Agreed, its all about the Mini League now.

btw, where is pinke? not see him gloat errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i ment post for a while.
          nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post

Agreed

I think the Board needed to appoint someone who would deliver some fight and passion and stable mid-table finishes for a couple of years 'til we're out of the ffp mire - Ollie has done that so far (well almost)
            Reckon it will be more of the same next season too with more kids from the U23s coming through, either homegrown or bought in

Comment

the football served up is inexcusable. Look at Wigan last night. If a smaller club like them can resurrect themselves, why is it taking us so long?
              I must away now, I can no longer tarry
              This morning's tempest I have to cross
              I must be guided without a stumble
              Into the arms I love the most

Comment

I agree it seems job done but to me it’s been about how and being reliant on other sides failure to amass any points. I will be amazed if 4th from bottom needs any more than 45 points to survive this season. If we end up with more than 58 points then I will gladly tip my hat to Olly and Co as that will be an improvement to last season. All we all want is our team to be successful and challenging at the right end of the table, if that’s with Olly then great as it means we have had a half decent finish to a difficult and not very enjoyable season. I hope we change things in the summer myself but that will depend on next 10 or so games ultimately.

Comment

I reckon a new low points tally to stay up this year, 43.

Comment

Originally posted by Pal View Post
                    That won't be a new low. The following teams have dropped in 3rd bottom (22nd) spot in recent years.....

2016 Charlton (40)
                    2015 Millwall (41)
                    2012 Portsmouth & Coventry (both 40)
                    2011 Preston (42)
                    2007 Southend (42)
                    2006 Crewe (42)

The average of 45.46 over the 'Championships' 13 seasons is bolstered mainly by

2017 Blackburn 51
                    2013 Peterborough 54 !!!
                    2008 Leicester 52
                    2005 Gillingham 50

Comment

Originally posted by Pal View Post
                      This is the thing isn't it?

In previous seasons we'd still have been right in the sh*t with what's been served up this season. We've had a let off because this league is so very bad this season. It's crazy how bad it's been actually, given the amount of money being spent at the moment. 4 or 5 million being chucked about by clubs they would never previously have had that type of money to spend. But I suppose that is just the way the game is these days.

Still though, credit where credit's due. Despite obvious (and they are obvious) tactical shortcomings, Ollie has done enough to keep the team 1 step away from the relegation battle all season. One thing that I've never really acknowledged as well is that clearly he gets the team fit. Look how much slimmer Lynch and Smith are now than they were last season, that type of thing can't hurt. If you are going to rock up with tactics from the 1990's, at least make sure the team are strong physically.

I still really hope he goes in the summer.........if even my gut feeling is that he probably won't. In fact I do worry we might be stuck with him until a.) he relegates us, or b.) Fernandes eventually leaves!

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
                        In previous seasons we'd still have been right in the sh*t with what's been served up this season. We've had a let off because this league is so very bad this season.
                        Or just that everyone can beat anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                          Or just that everyone can beat anyone
                          But this league has always been a bit like that mate.

The difference this season is the sides at the bottom are really bad, and of the sides at the top nobody is really that good. Alright, Wolves have really kicked on since Christmas, but even they aren't as good as a lot of previous sides that have one this league.

Comment

I am a PRO Ollie man... but I was also gutted Warnock never got the job back. However personally if Ollie is to stay on as manager next year I would like him surrounded by a some good coaches. I honestly think he had his best time at QPR when we had Kenny Jackett... So that kind of support I think it s 100% needed.

Comment

Glad we have picked up a few important wins of late. That coupled with some real dross below means will likely need less points than normal to stay up.

However can't ignore we went around 11 months without an away win and only 2 in last year or so. Most matches start with wrong selection/tactics and end up trying to rectify things. Various players not performing. Some paint a picture of Ollie as the champion of youth but not seen much evidence of that. A handful of starts and sub appearances in main part and largely due to being out of options.

Things could be worse I guess but should be better. Still don't rate him as anything other than poor at this level and likely should at this stage in his career be working his way down the divisions. Very lucky boy to get this job. I can't see any other Championship club having gone anywhere near him.

Note Fozzie's comment on getting some like Jackett in but that's almost like saying need to get someone in to teach him how to manage!

Comment

Working...
                              X