Formation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formation

Has any interview, or fan forum or Q&A brought up the formation question, which Ollie has directly answered?

Seems to be a theme (which i agree with), that he is playing wingbacks when we don't have any, and that this is one of afew reasons causing below par performances, particularly from certain players (Pav for instance).

I'd like to hear his thoughts on why he's doing this. Seems to me and most others that if he'd just switch to 451, 442 or even 433 he'd see a better response from the personal on the field. While they are all professionals and should be able to handle a switch up in position, fan conjecture continues and won't be put to bed until a) Ollie goes or b) he goes for more tried and tested formations with this squad.

Originally posted by topperharley View Post
    Has any interview, or fan forum or Q&A brought up the formation question, which Ollie has directly answered?

Seems to be a theme (which i agree with), that he is playing wingbacks when we don't have any, and that this is one of afew reasons causing below par performances, particularly from certain players (Pav for instance).

I'd like to hear his thoughts on why he's doing this. Seems to me and most others that if he'd just switch to 451, 442 or even 433 he'd see a better response from the personal on the field. While they are all professionals and should be able to handle a switch up in position, fan conjecture continues and won't be put to bed until a) Ollie goes or b) he goes for more tried and tested formations with this squad.
    I would love to hear/read why he insists on his wingback system, especislly as he often needs to change it when the game is being lost.

Comment

Holloway fans think he's giving youth a chance. He's killing Furlong by not playing four across the back. Potentially good fullback being wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
        I would love to hear/read why he insists on his wingback system, especislly as he often needs to change it when the game is being lost.
        i remember at the start of the season he said he wanted to pick a formation and stick with it no matter what so i guess that's his reasoning. that being said though, 352 just doesn't work for our team as we don't have the players for it. if he wants to keep our midfield trio together and have our wingers working hard then just play a 433 and drop into a 451 when defending, we'd get a lot more out of the players playing a consistent 4 at the back, having wingers and by supporting our center forward

Comment

Originally posted by corbray View Post
          i remember at the start of the season he said he wanted to pick a formation and stick with it no matter what so i guess that's his reasoning. that being said though, 352 just doesn't work for our team as we don't have the players for it. if he wants to keep our midfield trio together and have our wingers working hard then just play a 433 and drop into a 451 when defending, we'd get a lot more out of the players playing a consistent 4 at the back, having wingers and by supporting our center forward
          Yes, I recall that, and posted about it in another thread. But as you and many of us have said, he doesn't have the players for it and it isn't working and given that he often changes it to get back into a game, he must know it too yet he is too stubourn to play a back 4.

Comment

IF he played a back four, and did everything else the same, would it dampen criticism toward him from the majority of fans that are currently against him?

Or would they just find something else to pick up on?

I honestly believe that though Ollie is no world beater and never will be, we'd be so much better off in every game and in the table if he just did this one simple switch in tactics. I don't think he's a sh1te as he's made himself out to be tactically, but for this one huge glaring error staring everyone in the face, except seemingly him....

Comment

It only starts as a 3-5-2 though. It often morphs into a 5-4-1,then 5-3-1-1,then who knows before finishes up as a 4-1-5.

Comment

Originally posted by davieqpr View Post
                It only starts as a 3-5-2 though. It often morphs into a 5-4-1,then 5-3-1-1,then who knows before finishes up as a 4-1-5.
                Case in point then, why even bother starting that way?

Comment

Originally posted by davieqpr View Post
                  Case in point then, why even bother starting that way?
                  Precisely why many of us find him to be inept and clueless.

If QPR stay up he will keep his job. Then you can bet he will play the same way next season because he will say they should be better at it, having had a season playing that way.
                  Last edited by stanistheman; 13-02-2018, 07:38 PM.

Comment

IF he played a back four, and did everything else the same, would it dampen criticism toward him from the majority of fans that are currently against him?

I honestly believe that though Ollie is no world beater and never will be, we'd be so much better off in every game and in the table if he just did this one simple switch in tactics. I don't think he's a sh1te as he's made himself out to be tactically, but for this one huge glaring error staring everyone in the face, except seemingly him....
                    A very good point Topper , imo we would be further up the table playing 4 at the back and be better on the eye , that said I think he's still going to get after match abuse just take a look at our full backs we should be looking for better than Perch and Furlong on the right on the left Bidwell is reasonable defencive but offers little going forward then there's Robinson our best full back but also our best centre back here's Holloway's problem play Robinson at l/b and get fuked at c/b Ollie a #### , play him at c/b and Bidwell doesn't get it right going forward Ollie's the same #### , whole heartedly agree the 3 at the earns him abuse , but imo we don't have the players for wingbacks but believe me we are still short of quality at r/b ,

Comment

Yes, I believe it would. Certainly from me anyway. It's the only reason I've pretty much written the entire season off. If he'd been playing with four at the back then he would have had to field out and out wingers, which he has plenty of. It's the reason why I no longer post much either because the debate has been done to absolute death. Fortunately the vast majority of posters now get it though. Hopefully we'll stay up this season and IH will leave in the summer. But until such time, whilst he remains in charge, I cannot see my enthusiasm returning knowing that we have a total incompetent in charge of the first team - barring some almighty revelation he may have of course. It's the fans I feel really sorry for here; as well as the players as they have such short careers that are now being held back.

Thanks '77 for your recent kind words mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                        Yes, I believe it would. Certainly from me anyway. It's the only reason I've pretty much written the entire season off. If he'd been playing with four at the back then he would have had to field out and out wingers, which he has plenty of. It's the reason why I no longer post much either because the debate has been done to absolute death. Fortunately the vast majority of posters now get it though. Hopefully we'll stay up this season and IH will leave in the summer. But until such time, whilst he remains in charge, I cannot see my enthusiasm returning knowing that we have a total incompetent in charge of the first team - barring some almighty revelation he may have of course. It's the fans I feel really sorry for here; as well as the players as they have such short careers that are now being held back.

Thanks '77 for your recent kind words mate.

Accurate, rather than kind. Thus agreeable post proves my point.

PS: I only say it so as not to get banned....

Comment

Yes it would dampen the criticism - at least he would be playing a formation more suited to the players he has instead of being so pig-headed sticking to three and the wing backs we haven't got. Sorry, but he is still sh1t tactically with no better example than playing against ten at Bristol and telling players to keep it tight instead of spreading it around.

Comment

Originally posted by Alanwycombe View Post
                            Yes it would dampen the criticism - at least he would be playing a formation more suited to the players he has instead of being so pig-headed sticking to three and the wing backs we haven't got. Sorry, but he is still sh1t tactically with no better example than playing against ten at Bristol and telling players to keep it tight instead of spreading it around.
                            Yeah fair enough. But how sh1te is a matter of debate haha

Though i'm sure we'd all get a better idea of his capabilities if he stuck to the simple idea of playing players to their strength. H

Comment

Working...
                            X