Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian Wilson View Post
    No. Potentially but not ready yet
    So you think Ollie is handling these young player the right way then Brian not trying to rush their potential by over playing them

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
      That shot Freeman took yesterday from outside the area which pulled off an outstanding save from Alnwick for example. Luongo's shooting OTOH is generally abysmal by comparison, as proved yesterday again. Careful what you wish for too as Freeman is the only creative outlet from MF, so get rid of him and you'd lose that. The only solution would be to replace him with Eze who I really like the look of. He has a mature head on young shoulders, seems calm and composed on the ball and is v skillful.
      Bear in mind, Freeman is the only midfielder given those creative reigns. You can bet that instructions for Scowen and Luongo are very different to those given to Freeman (naturally because they play different roles) but that doesn't mean that they aren't capable of doing that.

One other thing I really cannot stand at all about Freeman is how single footed he is. He telegraphs way too much onto his left foot and I personally don't think he's good enough (like Robben and others who are blatantly one footed) to get away with it.

As for Luongo's shooting, there are quite a few cases of Luongo drawing top quality saves but recency bias will ensure that they're forgotten simply because Freeman shoots more... even when he should pass instead.
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
        Bear in mind, Freeman is the only midfielder given those creative reigns. You can bet that instructions for Scowen and Luongo are very different to those given to Freeman (naturally because they play different roles) but that doesn't mean that they aren't capable of doing that.

One other thing I really cannot stand at all about Freeman is how single footed he is. He telegraphs way too much onto his left foot and I personally don't think he's good enough (like Robben and others who are blatantly one footed) to get away with it.

As for Luongo's shooting, there are quite a few cases of Luongo drawing top quality saves but recency bias will ensure that they're forgotten simply because Freeman shoots more... even when he should pass instead.
        I'd sell both for 8 or 9 mil. Would then look to bring in dack from Blackburn if they don't get promoted
        nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman34 View Post
          I'd sell both for 8 or 9 mil. Would then look to bring in dack from Blackburn if they don't get promoted
          I hope not 8 or 9m total? Freeman can ride off of hype for about 5-6 alone and if Luongo has a good world cup, 6-7m easy.
          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Luongo has been given specific instructions to shoot more when given the opportunities but on the whole his shooting is less accurate than Freeman's. What are the stats on shots on target vs shots off target between the two players? And I trust you not to skew the figures

Comment

His shooting was shocking yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post
                So you think Ollie is handling these young player the right way then Brian not trying to rush their potential by over playing them
                Yeah, I think so, a few starts, a few 20 minute sub appearances. Think Smyth deserves a start in next home game.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Wilson View Post
                  Yeah, I think so, a few starts, a few 20 minute sub appearances. Think Smyth deserves a start in next home game.
                  Know what you say what for 60 mins and give Eze 30 or so second half mins not necessary for the wee marn tho

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                    Luongo has been given specific instructions to shoot more when given the opportunities but on the whole his shooting is less accurate than Freeman's. What are the stats on shots on target vs shots off target between the two players? And I trust you not to skew the figures
                    Luongo: 16 off target, 14 on target, 1 on the post and 16 blocked. So from a total of 46 shots, Luongo has an on target accuracy of 30.43%

Freeman: 23 off target, 18 on target, 1 on the post and 31 blocked. So from a total of 72 shots, Freeman has an on target accuracy of 25%

Lets take it a step further and assume that half of the blocked shots were on target for both players. Now Luongo has 46.8% accuracy and Freeman has 45.9%. So to say that their shooting has been particularly different in quality is statistically incorrect. More so it would be incorrect to say that Freeman's shooting is any better than Luongo's.

The final thing I found most interesting was looking at their left to right foot ratio. Freeman took 61 shots with his left foot and only 10 with his right. Luongo has taken 25 with his right and 16 with his left. The rest of their shots were headers (Freeman with 1, Luongo with 5 which also tells me Luongo gets into the box more for those but then Freeman is probably on the wing in that scenario so it's unsurprising).

They both also have roughly the same proportion of shots inside the box compared to their total at about 37%.

All in all, their shooting is about as good as each others statistically speaking, although Luongo is more two footed than Freeman. No skewed stats here mate XD

Comment

Luongo: 16 off target, 14 on target, 1 on the post and 16 blocked. So from a total of 46 shots, Luongo has an on target accuracy of 30.43%

Freeman: 23 off target, 18 on target, 1 on the post and 31 blocked. So from a total of 72 shots, Freeman has an on target accuracy of 25%

Lets take it a step further and assume that half of the blocked shots were on target for both players. Now Luongo has 46.8% accuracy and Freeman has 45.9%. So to say that their shooting has been particularly different in quality is statistically incorrect. More so it would be incorrect to say that Freeman's shooting is any better than Luongo's.

The final thing I found most interesting was looking at their left to right foot ratio. Freeman took 61 shots with his left foot and only 10 with his right. Luongo has taken 25 with his right and 16 with his left. The rest of their shots were headers (Freeman with 1, Luongo with 5 which also tells me Luongo gets into the box more for those but then Freeman is probably on the wing in that scenario so it's unsurprising).

They both also have roughly the same proportion of shots inside the box compared to their total at about 37%.

All in all, their shooting is about as good as each others statistically speaking, although Luongo is more two footed than Freeman. No skewed stats here mate XD
                      Thanks for doing that Nas. Interesting. The only thing I might add is that because Freeman's total shots amount is a lot higher than Luongo's, law of probability would state that this would lower his target accuracy %. Agreed?

Comment

Luongo's shots are soft. No real threat.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy the Doc View Post
                          Luongo's shots are soft. No real threat.
                          Fervently disagree with that but each to their own. Guy has a belter on him at times and if you've watched most of the matches this season, you'd see them.

I understand the law of probability thing stated by Stanley, but just from watching him shoot, I don't think that reducing the number of shots will improve the accuracy significantly enough for the difference to be noticeable. Personally, Chery, Fer and Austin were the last three players that I can say had legitimately excellent shots on them from all over the pitch (that I remember. Chances are I'm missing someone)

Comment

Fervently disagree with that but each to their own. Guy has a belter on him at times and if you've watched most of the matches this season, you'd see them.

I understand the law of probability thing stated by Stanley, but just from watching him shoot, I don't think that reducing the number of shots will improve the accuracy significantly enough for the difference to be noticeable. Personally, Chery, Fer and Austin were the last three players that I can say had legitimately excellent shots on them from all over the pitch (that I remember. Chances are I'm missing someone)
                            "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." Billy Beane

https://twitter.com/1qprdk

Comment

Originally posted by 1QPRDK View Post
                              "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." Billy Beane

Hence why I use stats too... it's a combo of everything that's necessary, no one view gives you the full picture.

Comment

It doesn't matter what the stats say. Saturdays team will start the next match because Holloway is always right and knows better than us.

Comment

Working...
                                X