No announcement yet.

Memories of the plastic pitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think it was ripped up around 87/88 Westy and Chelsea 6-0 was a great day but Liverpool in 86 Milk Cup Semi was one of my favourite games on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopper View Post
      Bought a piece for a fiver when they tore it up. Looks like something you’d see in a green grocers. Ours was concrete underneath. Oldhams and Lutons at least had sand. Gary Bannister was class on it.
      I managed to cut me a piece off during one of the many pitch invasions of that era. I also secured myself the corner flag down between paddock & School end (just the flag not the pole, some wedge head grabbed the pole).
      Great times, & I always remember many games being cancelled because of the weather, but ours always went ahead.
      Also remember a friendly against Notts County, I think we was supposed to be playing away, & almost every game in the country had been called off, so they put on a friendly.

The era of Terry"s All Gold
      Minds Are Like Parachutes.
      Work Best When Open...
      @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Originally posted by 1973 ranger View Post
        Think it was ripped up around 87/88 Westy and Chelsea 6-0 was a great day but Liverpool in 86 Milk Cup Semi was one of my favourite games on it.
        Now I remember watching that live on the box and even watching game on tv under floodlights was special

Comment

How you reckon someone like Adel would have coped on AstroTurf

Comment

Best 2 players I saw on it were Glenn Hoddle and Jan Molby. Adel would have been class on it.

Comment

Simon stainrod wasn't too shabby on it

Comment

Johnny Byrne was good on it as well.

Comment

Does anyone remember John Burrige the keeper who used to walk on his hands

Comment

Remember it fondly, mainly due to it coinciding with a particularly successful and entertaining era of our history.

It was like watching a different game though. Just imagine what the game would be like if it were played on concrete. It certainly required us to play in a different way.

Remember my brother in law telling me a funny story. Apparently, about 5 minutes before the teams were due to come out, the away team dressing room door would open and a bucket of vaseline would come sliding in through it.

Now that's how to take advantage.

Comment

Other players I remember seeing on Television during the Astro Turf days were Mike Flanagan and Mike Fillery. I`m not sure any of those two were that good, but anyway. Mike Fillery came to QPR from Chelsea, I think. A quite tecnical gifted midfielder. Probably in the same team as Gary Waddock..
                      QPR
                      Best team in the world
                      Sort of

Comment

Budgie was a nutter wasn't he

Comment

Super sub was Wayne fereday and we had another winger.. Gary??

Comment

Originally posted by Since1972 View Post
                            Budgie was a nutter wasn't he
                            Used to sleep in his gloves

Comment

Micklewhite!

Comment

Originally posted by Since1972 View Post
                                Micklewhite!
                                Was he a winger I thought he was defender.

Dawes always springs to mind when I think of the plastic

Comment

Working...
                                X