Memories of the plastic pitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pinkie View Post
    used to love that kit, great times, had goddard left us by the time the plastic pitch arrived, was in 1980 he left for west ham, cant remember
    Yes he left for the spammers in 1980 Pinks
    I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

• Peter Hucker must have had carpet burns on his knees to rival the horniest of window cleaners. Used to love watching drop kicks from him, wondering where the heck the ball was going to end up - and the faces on defenders as they watched it sail over their heads! Good times...

Comment

• We use to have a fruit n veg market on the turf every 2nd Sun
        Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

• many games stick in the mind about that plastic, from the first game against luton, which we lost 2-1, to the last game.
          but the one that sticks in my mind is the night league cup game against millwall, '87 I think.
          the night of the Zulu chants, few offs inl the ellerslie/sar/and paddocks, with millwall throwing smoke bombs and bangers (not sausages) onto the pitch.

Comment

• Spurs 2-2 people sitting round pitch.only game on in London.loads of other fans in ground to have go at spurs
            Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

• Originally posted by 72bus View Post
              my brother played against him as well , pearce played in goal for ham ( near richmond ) on a saturday
              I was brought up on the Lennox Estate, Upper Richmond Road Putney. I'm guessing from your name and previous posts you're somewhere near Roehampton. Maybe the Alton or Ashburton. My Dad played for a pub side called Merton glass out of the Halfway house in Priests Bridge. Very successful pub side in their day.

Comment

• In an odd way the plastic pitch was what attracted me to this club in 80/81, I was following the old NASL here in North America, many of the teams played on the plastic because those were the stadiums which were available here, we used to get a weekly highlight show of English soccer! I quite liked this team from the Second Division (QPR) who were unbeatable at home and on their way up, I saw the plastic pitch as being innovative, now I hate the stuff and my life has been turned upside from being a Rangers fan!
                @gatorTFC

Comment

• Originally posted by wormholt View Post
                  many games stick in the mind about that plastic, from the first game against luton, which we lost 2-1, to the last game.
                  but the one that sticks in my mind is the night league cup game against millwall, '87 I think.
                  the night of the Zulu chants, few offs inl the ellerslie/sar/and paddocks, with millwall throwing smoke bombs and bangers (not sausages) onto the pitch.

Remember that night well - Littlewoods cup 87/88- the Millwall fans invasion, the Zulu chants- loads of extra old bill in at half time - agro in the Paddock - and Macca scoring the winner - great times!

Here is a link:

http://www.millwall-history.org.uk/September87-7.htm

Comment

• Originally posted by Canadian Ranger View Post
                    Remember that night well - Littlewoods cup 87/88- the Millwall fans invasion, the Zulu chants- loads of extra old bill in at half time - agro in the Paddock - and Macca scoring the winner - great times!

Here is a link:

http://www.millwall-history.org.uk/September87-7.htm
                    Thanks for posting the link.
                    The news reports sound as if they are actually praising the Millwall fans.
                    Also I always thought Zulus were Birmingham's firm and Wall were surgeons?
                    Minds Are Like Parachutes.
                    Work Best When Open...
                    @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraggy View Post
                      Thanks for posting the link.
                      The news reports sound as if they are actually praising the Millwall fans.
                      Also I always thought Zulus were Birmingham's firm and Wall were surgeons?
                      The Wall's firm was the F-troop and the Bushwackers - no idea where there idea of a Zulu chant came from!?!?! Who knows what went on in the brains of their supporters back then - the mind boggles! Agreed, the news piece was all a bit "Millwall just standing up for their team" - but then, it was a different time for sure! I remember the adrenaline rushing and then it all fizzling out at full time.

Comment

• Originally posted by qprjeff1882 View Post
                        I was brought up on the Lennox Estate, Upper Richmond Road Putney. I'm guessing from your name and previous posts you're somewhere near Roehampton. Maybe the Alton or Ashburton. My Dad played for a pub side called Merton glass out of the Halfway house in Priests Bridge. Very successful pub side in their day.
                        lived in roehampton a a boy , know the estate and a few off it , and pub though i never went in their , remember the market gardener next door a right rough pub
                        Last edited by 72bus; 17-01-2018, 02:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gtleighsr3 View Post
                          Spurs 2-2 people sitting round pitch.only game on in London.loads of other fans in ground to have go at spurs
                          Crash barrier went over in the Loft , huge crowd that day.
                          Rangers,Scooters ,Tunes and Trainers

Comment

• Some superb memories and stories coming out keep them coming this is good reading

Got be honest feel bit jealous you guys experienced all this us youngsters have missed out

Comment

• West Ham FA Cup tie, Supporters spilling on the pitch and David Pizanti banging in a worldy from outside the area. Think we ended up winning 3-1!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1973 ranger View Post
                                West Ham FA Cup tie, Supporters spilling on the pitch and David Pizanti banging in a worldy from outside the area. Think we ended up winning 3-1!
                                2,000 fake tickets they reckon West Ham used that day.

Did any of you get the cardboard QPR branded thing with a square of the pitch on it once it had been dug up?

I did and loved it. Don’t know where it is now and I’m gutted.

Comment

Working...
                                X