Memories of the plastic pitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
    Loved it. Nobody had a clue what would happen when the ball hit the pitch, could bounce anywhere. Players scared of sliding tackles. We had a great team too. Technically gifted and played a lot on the floor, I suspect at least partly due to unpredictability of pitch. Good times.
    Flipping heck we agree on something no tbh i cant understand why anyone hated it, we was superb on it and played a great game on it on the floor and at pace, excatly how we should want to play.
    http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Originally posted by Alanwycombe View Post
      I remember a save he made at Charlton when he changed his body position in mid-air to save a deflection. Fantastic save but nowhere near the coverage they get these days so nothing was made of it. He used to shout 'clean sheet, clean sheet' all the time. Great keeper.
      Yeah great keep burridge was, used to emulate him, jimmy rimmer & shilton as a kid

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post
        Yeah great keep burridge was, used to emulate him, jimmy rimmer & shilton as a kid
        Budgie used to live round the corner from me when he was at Palace in just a normal semi , top fella ,always had time for the local kids , used to wear his goal keeping gloves in the front room and dive about catching crockery that was being thrown for him ! Nutter , but never once turned down an autograph .
        Rangers,Scooters ,Tunes and Trainers

Comment

Originally posted by vespa View Post
          Budgie used to live round the corner from me when he was at Palace in just a normal semi , top fella ,always had time for the local kids , used to wear his goal keeping gloves in the front room and dive about catching crockery that was being thrown for him ! Nutter , but never once turned down an autograph .
          I agree, he was a top bloke.
          Absolutely crackers though.

Comment

Originally posted by Since1972 View Post
            I remember the pic of Clive Allen and a broom after they brushed the snow off to play once.

Clive-Sweeps.jpg
            I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
              Does anyone remember John Burrige the keeper who used to walk on his hands
              Remember this, he was a legend on the plastic along with Peter Hucker
              I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Floyd Rabbit View Post
                Loved it.

The sand bouncing up and the Adidas Tango ball just being fizzed around without a bobble in sight. Goalkeepers with their tracky bottoms on. Great days and a brilliant team.

I remember before games we had 2 giant Guinness pints on the pitch too.
                Arsenal kicked lumps out them guiness pitch glasses one year
                Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

Originally posted by Alanwycombe View Post
                  I remember a save he made at Charlton when he changed his body position in mid-air to save a deflection. Fantastic save but nowhere near the coverage they get these days so nothing was made of it. He used to shout 'clean sheet, clean sheet' all the time. Great keeper.
                  Remember that too, we were sat right behind the goal, was a worldly save, pity no TV coverage.

Comment

Never really took to the plastic myself, made game seem a bit sterile, however we were just as good away from home, plastic or grass Rangers were class, so this unfair advantage moan by other sides didn't really work, whilst Venables was manager we were outstanding home or away.

Comment

• Talking of memories, these guiness track tops are a steal at £9.99 in the club shop this weekend only.

�� A limited range of Guinness Walk Out Jackets will be available to purchase in the #QPR Superstore this weekend!

▶️ https://t.co/ie9u0fctpX https://t.co/35nc5TERaU

Comment

• Originally posted by vespa View Post
                        Nice story vesps, think always remember him wearing tracky bottoms always if i can remember right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hertford Hoop View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]2319[/ATTACH]
                          used to love that kit, great times, had goddard left us by the time the plastic pitch arrived, was in 1980 he left for west ham, cant remember

Comment

• 40p for a programme

Comment

• Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                              40p for a programme
                              Equivalent to £1.07 in 2018, programme now £3, something not quite right there.
                              Last edited by Romford Hoop; 16-01-2018, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• I think we badly messed up by putting down a multi-purpose pitch instead of a dedicated football surface. I remember going on the pitch at the end of the season and being shocked at how it felt.... it was really springy and hollow feeling - it was like it was made of plywood and gave me the impression I could stamp my foot through it if I tried. It must have undoubtedly felt strange and disconcerting to away teams not used to it.
                                A highly respected journalist told me that he was 99% certain our players had it written into their contracts that they were not allowed to criticise the pitch despite several apparently hating it and worrying how it was wrecking their joints.

Comment

Working...
                                X