No reason to sack Ollie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No reason to sack Ollie

I believe I am one of a few supporters who are not looking forward to see the back of Ian Holloway. He is far from the greatest manager we have had in recent time, but I just don't agree with all these negative posts about the immediate need of replacing him.

Before the season started the vast majority here predicted a relegation battle, as we had hardly strengthen the squad during the transfer window. Now we are sitting pretty in 14th place, 10 points from the play-off and 9 points from the relegation zone. Judging Ollie, we need to bear in mind:

* The first he had to do was to part with two of our most pricey assets, Chery and Polter. We probably got £3-4m for the two of them, but the money wasn't made available to Ollie for replacements. However, he has slowly added to the squad with shrewd free signings, such as Freeman, Smith, Baptiste and Scowen. I think it is a good achievement to identify four such good players on the free. He has got a few signings wrong, like Goss and Wheeler, but who hasn't? None of these were big investments and both might come ok eventually.

* Under Holloway his staff has identified and signed several good young prospects. These include Smyth, Oteh, Chair, Osayi-Samuel and others. I feel we have more promising young players than we have had for a very long time. I know this is probably more down to Ramsey and Penrice than Ollie, but the manager is responsible for anything his team/staff delivers and cannot just take the blame for what goes wrong, but also has to get the credit for what goes well.

* A number of players have stepped up under Holloway, such as Luongo, Robinson, Bidwell, Manning (last season) and Perch (when he was moved to central defence). Admittedly a few have not, such as Furlong, Washington and Sylla, but this will always be the case in a big squad

* We have been hit by a defensive injury crisis that is pretty extreme. Onuoha, Perch, Lynch, Hall and Caulker were out at the same time. Any team losing five central defenders for a month or more would go through a difficult period.

* The enthusiasm and spirit is back, including fighting spirit. This means as much to me as anything. There seems to be a togetherness going all the way through the club. This is vital.

Holloway has gained promotion from the Championship twice, including taking Blackpool into the Premier league. He has surely had his share of failure, with Millwall springing to mind, but his record is matching or beating most other Championship managers.

Right now we are sitting in mid table with clubs like Fulham, Norwich, Nottingham Forest, Sheffield Wednesday and Reading just ahead or just behind us. If Holloway should be sacked, the managers of all these other clubs should be sacked as well, as they are probably having bigger financial resources than us, and therefore underachieve relative to QPR.

If there is anything I would like to do it would be to strengthen the coaching staff. We would probably benefit greatly from a good coach ala McLaren. Ollie's tactics are better than he gets credit for, but he would benefit from an assistant manager with a good tactical nose.

I have seen a few posts asking whether there any any fans that won't like to see Ollie go, and I am happy to be counted as one. I am very happy if we would stop being a managerial rotating door for a change, and rather get in place some stability and long term thinking.

I predict mid table safety under Ollie and that is pretty decent with what he has at his disposal and the transfer budget he has been given.

Pretty much sums up how I feel about it mate. He hasn't blown any silly budgets and has built a young team that should just get better. Most of the posters that wanted Ollie out never wanted him back so will admit that they're very biased. Jfh did far worse and didn't get the same dogs abuse treatment. We need to back him because otherwise the bloke doesn't stand a fair chance to do anything positive, and who gives a fu ck what bone head millwall fans think
    I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Jesus, we must have won an away game..
      Yes he has had little to play with but he is tactically inept, embarrassing in post match interviews and regrettably his record is awful.
      If we had a half decent manager with the same backup we may make the play offs... which is where our club should be , at least aiming for. I actually think we will still be in a relegation fight.
      Saying that. I'm so pleased we won... not for Ollie, for our club

Comment

If someone offered me our positions now plus away wins at the bees and Fulham would take and run home

Comment

Originally posted by Since1972 View Post
          Jesus, we must have won an away game..
          Yes he has had little to play with but he is tactically inept, embarrassing in post match interviews and regrettably his record is awful.
          If we had a half decent manager with the same backup we may make the play offs... which is where our club should be , at least aiming for. I actually think we will still be in a relegation fight.
          Saying that. I'm so pleased we won... not for Ollie, for our club
          Good post oslo and exactly right but youll get pelters as i always do and anyone, there still creeping out having digs now like this one here and yet we are in mid table, what a load on here have been saying we are, yet still having digs even though we`re obviously starting to improve after a poor spell, but also along with having most of our defence out!
          http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Excellent post Oslo , agree with practically all of it ,problem is Ollie is still tactically out of his depth and does play people out of position . So even though you talk a lot of sense ,its not all rosy ,and some people only look at at points and not entertainment ,usually the people who dont attend matches . ( and to be fair ,we are only entertaining compared to the dross we have all witnessed in the last few years , which is nothing to the flair of the 60s,70s,80sand early90s.
            But i honestly cant see anyone better on the horizon , and i am genuinely enjoying attending matches again ,which under Redknap ,Ramsey,and JFH i wasn`t.
            So yeah ,sacking Ollie now, in January makes no sense to me either .
            Rangers,Scooters ,Tunes and Trainers

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post
              there still creeping out
              Well I don't creep out, I say it loud and proud. Ollie has been back for over a year, his stats are very mediocre - the form is in the book. I don't believe that for the entire length of time he has been compromised by injuries. It took him forever to start playing the youngsters and he persists with WBs as a default when there are clearly other options given the squad. In addition, we're very inconsistent and that may or may not be a symptom of unrest in the dressing room. I have a suspicion that around the club there is more respect for Birch than Ollie. We shall see.

Your football knowledge on the other hand is open to serious question. You were very critical the other day of the Prem, and yet despite (and sadly also because of) the money grabbing culture there has been some wonderful football on offer, probably the best quality of attacking football we've ever had in the top division spread around four or five clubs. There's also a tremendous work ethic in evidence: Citeh for example do the grunt work off the ball. Watch and learn.

You also said that tactics at this level were on a par with requirements for the Sunday league (or something very similar). You're right in this sense: the first rule at lower levels is to set up to squad strength, something Ollie has struggled with. If Ollie suddenly starts finding consistent quality, then you are in a position to question his critics., and I will be the first to say I misjudged him. In the meantime, you need to stop pointing the finger, because some of us are here win loose or draw.

Comment

the main thing for me is the lack of any consistency and that ollies record is abysmal, no one can deny that. no one wishes ollie any ill will (yes theres been insults lobied at him but mostly in jest). every qpr supporter wants whats best for the club pure and simple but don't think ollie is right for the club due to his tactical ability, irrational actions, record and his choice of players but at the end of the day we'd love to be proven wrong. today was a great result for us but remember that just a week ago we went out to mk dons despite playing a near full team, its like a roller coaster. i think the daggers are being sheathed after todays result and the fans will be off his back for a few games but he has to show in those games that he can keep us consistent and start pick up the results that we should be getting, play the team to their strengths in the right system etc.
                just remember that no one wants us to get relegated or do bad, just that there are better managers out there who would most likely come here and that ollies reign has been a roller coaster mainly going down hill

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                  Well I don't creep out, I say it loud and proud. Ollie has been back for over a year, his stats are very mediocre - the form is in the book. I don't believe that for the entire length of time he has been compromised by injuries. It took him forever to start playing the youngsters and he persists with WBs as a default when there are clearly other options given the squad. In addition, we're very inconsistent and that may or may not be a symptom of unrest in the dressing room. I have a suspicion that around the club there is more respect for Birch than Ollie. We shall see.

Your football knowledge on the other hand is open to serious question. You were very critical the other day of the Prem, and yet despite (and sadly also because of) the money grabbing culture there has been some wonderful football on offer, probably the best quality of attacking football we've ever had in the top division spread around four or five clubs. There's also a tremendous work ethic in evidence: Citeh for example do the grunt work off the ball. Watch and learn.

You also said that tactics at this level were on a par with requirements for the Sunday league (or something very similar). You're right in this sense: the first rule at lower levels is to set up to squad strength, something Ollie has struggled with. If Ollie suddenly starts finding consistent quality, then you are in a position to question his critics., and I will be the first to say I misjudged him. In the meantime, you need to stop pointing the finger, because some of us are here win loose or draw.
                  wtf watch & learn, shut up ffs, i know plenty about football and certainly dont need you to preach to me about learning bugger all hal thanks what i meant by my comment about the prem is i prefer the game giving more of our english players the chances instead of the influx of foreigners which i dont agree with thanks mate, prefer how it used to be when teams could only field a couple at the most at one time! i dont get a buzz or cream watching teams like city or chelsea etc who have monopoly money to spend at will, a complete unlevel playing field! thats why i cant be doing with it & prefer how it used to be before the prem.
                  Last edited by Pinkie; 14-01-2018, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post

And as i replied to westy earlier about my comment about the tactics, was in reply to people slating ollie for having no tactical sense, ofwhich he obviously has and its complete ignorance to keep coming out with he hasnt, when obviously has, and i came out with you dont have to be a tactical genuis in this league in reply! now get off youre pedastal while youre still here lol, just another one who hates it when it comes back at you, yet dished plenty about how you know this and that like a few others, then cant stand it when theres a few good results and start biting im just enjoying the day thanks after our second victory in a row

Comment

Originally posted by corbray View Post
                      the main thing for me is the lack of any consistency and that ollies record is abysmal, no one can deny that. no one wishes ollie any ill will (yes theres been insults lobied at him but mostly in jest). every qpr supporter wants whats best for the club pure and simple but don't think ollie is right for the club due to his tactical ability, irrational actions, record and his choice of players but at the end of the day we'd love to be proven wrong. today was a great result for us but remember that just a week ago we went out to mk dons despite playing a near full team, its like a roller coaster. i think the daggers are being sheathed after todays result and the fans will be off his back for a few games but he has to show in those games that he can keep us consistent and start pick up the results that we should be getting, play the team to their strengths in the right system etc.
                      just remember that no one wants us to get relegated or do bad, just that there are better managers out there who would most likely come here and that ollies reign has been a roller coaster mainly going down hill
                      No offence corbs but are you still going to say that first line if we stay in midtable or go higher? we`re in 14th atm, it seems this keeps getting mentioned about consistency, yet we`re just starting to pick up

Comment

Keep him and get relegated this or next season.
                        Banning people is no longer my hobby,
                        but take a look at my photo blog:

http://kirillqpr.blogspot.com/

How and why did I start supporting QPR in Estonia:
                        http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/blog.php?b=852

Comment

No offence corbs but are you still going to say that first line if we stay in midtable or go higher? we`re in 14th atm, it seems this keeps getting mentioned about consistency, yet we`re just starting to pick up
                          Last 6 games form table has us 5th.

Comment

no of course not, if we kept consistent rather than going up and down in form it'd be a lot easier to bear, but we seem to go on runs of wins and draws and then a whole bunch of losses and bad performances, its all very patchy and must wreck a players confidence. i've always said that i'd rather ollie just improve as a manager and in games than replacing him and starting over. we're on a decent run atm so i'm happy!

Comment

Got to get rid of him at end of the season, or we will be struggling again, the man is clueless about tactics, got to have a manager who is up to date with the modern game, IH is not.

Comment

Working...
                              X