• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
    That's not how it was reported Tarbie.
    http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport...inand-12216222

This article talks a bit about it mate.

When his name was put to Fernandes, Ferdinand revealed: “He did a few somersaults and cartwheels and when he landed, he thought it was the right choice.”

Whilst that doesn't go as far to say that the decision to hire Ollie is down to TF. I think if a CEO/Owner of a company is doing "somersaults and cartwheels" over a potential new hire, it's not too much of a stretch to assume that they were the main driving force behind the hire. Everything I've heard about Ollie's appointment points to Tony being his main advocate behind the scenes. And let's be honest, Les ain't gonna argue is he?!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
      http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport...inand-12216222

This article talks a bit about it mate.

When his name was put to Fernandes, Ferdinand revealed: “He did a few somersaults and cartwheels and when he landed, he thought it was the right choice.”

Whilst that doesn't go as far to say that the decision to hire Ollie is down to TF. I think if a CEO/Owner of a company is doing "somersaults and cartwheels" over a potential new hire, it's not too much of a stretch to assume that they were the main driving force behind the hire. Everything I've heard about Ollie's appointment points to Tony being his main advocate behind the scenes. And let's be honest, Les ain't gonna argue is he?!!
      You haven't posted all the quotes though, to give full context.

Yes, TF wanted him but only after LF suggested the name to him in the first place, so to say "I don't think he was Les' appointment at all" isn't really accurate, is it mate.

Comment

You haven't posted all the quotes though, to give full context.

Yes, TF wanted him but only after LF suggested the name to him in the first place, so to say "I don't think he was Les' appointment at all" isn't really accurate, is it mate.
        Les' suggestion, yeah quite possibly mate. But surely that is the DoF's job? To compile a list of potential candidates and put it to the other stakeholders for a combined decision.

All I'm saying is that if you read this board week in week out, you will see constant references to another poor managerial appointment by Les. I don't see Ollie's appointment in that light. Everything I've heard points towards Tony being the main advocate for this hire and not Les.

Comment

Les' suggestion, yeah quite possibly mate.
          Not possibly, more like most probably.

We all know the reason why TF appointed a DoF was because TF isn't a footballing expert - so of course he will always seek advice and counsel from someone who is when it comes to vital footballing decisions, like which football manager to hire.

To try and suggest that LF was not a big part of the decision to hire Ollie would therefore be folly. All TF did was to enthusiastically sanction the appointment once the DoF and CEO had done their apparent 'due diligence' on seeking out a new manager.

Here's the rest of LF's quotes to provide full context:

Ferdinand said: “To be honest, his name didn't come up for a long time until we were made aware that Ian would be interested. Last time, when we were looking for a manager, his name didn't come up as we knew he was comfortable at Sky.

The reason why his name came up was he'd promised Sky he was going to be there for a year. This time, he'd said the only club he'd leave for was QPR. We were made aware of that so contact was made. We had the conversation and what we're trying to do.

He was excited by the group of players and felt he could make them better. He understands the football club and the fans and what was needed. It was an obvious choice for us. When someone shows a desire to go back somewhere or be somewhere, the money is irrelevant.

In terms of talks, he knew the direction the club want to go in and where we are and how we're trying to do it. There were no demands made – it was about getting in as quickly as possible.”

These quotes alone tells you that LF was clearly a major part of the decision, and rightly so, as the Director of Football.

Comment

Just how bad must the other candidates have been?

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post
              Im laughing at it croydon as its so true mate, you just know it was going to get posted
              Oh here he is. Never to been seen any other week

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
                Just how bad must the other candidates have been?
                Gary Rowett you mean? He was interviewed too.

Comment

This is the problem, everything needs and overhaul. Including the DoF in my opinion. In fact, Lee Hoos and Chris Ramsey are the only guys I think are qualified/good enough for the roles they are in within our management and coaching structure. I don't necessarily dislike the structure, and given our recent history, I do understand why we have a DoF in place. I just don't understand why we couldn't have hired someone who has actually done that job before.

But even if the board did agree with what I've written above, who is going to overhaul it all? Do we trust Uncle Bungle to select a new DoF? As I understand it, he was the guy that wanted Ollie as manager. I don't think he was Les' appointment at all (despite what you read on here). In fact, TF's record of selecting/approving hires of new staff for the club (playing and non-playing) is utterly abysmal. Of course he has been badly advised a lot of the time, but he had a big say in the signings of players under Hughes and Redknapp.

I also suspect that Ollie won't last the Christmas period, and it's virtually impossible to make the type of overhaul that I'm talking about mid-season. I think we'll be saved this season off the strength that there are some really poor sides at the bottom of the table. But I worry for us next season, particularly given we have no money to spend, and are likely to lose the likes of Smithies and Luongo.

All in all, it's a bit of a mess really, and I don't have any faith in Tony and his cronies knowing how to fix it.
                  Pukka post

Comment

Not possibly, more like most probably.

We all know the reason why TF appointed a DoF was because TF isn't a footballing expert - so of course he will always seek advice and counsel from someone who is when it comes to vital footballing decisions, like which football manager to hire.

To try and suggest that LF was not a big part of the decision to hire Ollie would therefore be folly. All TF did was to enthusiastically sanction the appointment once the DoF and CEO had done their apparent 'due diligence' on seeking out a new manager.

Here's the rest of LF's quotes to provide full context:

Ferdinand said: “To be honest, his name didn't come up for a long time until we were made aware that Ian would be interested. Last time, when we were looking for a manager, his name didn't come up as we knew he was comfortable at Sky.

The reason why his name came up was he'd promised Sky he was going to be there for a year. This time, he'd said the only club he'd leave for was QPR. We were made aware of that so contact was made. We had the conversation and what we're trying to do.

He was excited by the group of players and felt he could make them better. He understands the football club and the fans and what was needed. It was an obvious choice for us. When someone shows a desire to go back somewhere or be somewhere, the money is irrelevant.

In terms of talks, he knew the direction the club want to go in and where we are and how we're trying to do it. There were no demands made – it was about getting in as quickly as possible.”

These quotes alone tells you that LF was clearly a major part of the decision, and rightly so, as the Director of Football.
                    Fair enough mate.

Truth is we will never know for sure who made the final call on the hiring of Ollie. I take a lot of the press releases with a pinch of salt too. Whatever our gripes are about the club at the moment, the PR machine is clearly pretty well oiled. Only those inside the club will truly know what discussions took place and which parties wanted what.

All I'm saying is that from what I've read, and what I've heard on the grapevine, my perception is that TF was the main driver behind this hire.

Comment

This is the problem, everything needs and overhaul. Including the DoF in my opinion. In fact, Lee Hoos and Chris Ramsey are the only guys I think are qualified/good enough for the roles they are in within our management and coaching structure. I don't necessarily dislike the structure, and given our recent history, I do understand why we have a DoF in place. I just don't understand why we couldn't have hired someone who has actually done that job before.

But even if the board did agree with what I've written above, who is going to overhaul it all? Do we trust Uncle Bungle to select a new DoF? As I understand it, he was the guy that wanted Ollie as manager. I don't think he was Les' appointment at all (despite what you read on here). In fact, TF's record of selecting/approving hires of new staff for the club (playing and non-playing) is utterly abysmal. Of course he has been badly advised a lot of the time, but he had a big say in the signings of players under Hughes and Redknapp.

I also suspect that Ollie won't last the Christmas period, and it's virtually impossible to make the type of overhaul that I'm talking about mid-season. I think we'll be saved this season off the strength that there are some really poor sides at the bottom of the table. But I worry for us next season, particularly given we have no money to spend, and are likely to lose the likes of Smithies and Luongo.

All in all, it's a bit of a mess really, and I don't have any faith in Tony and his cronies knowing how to fix it.
                      We need to to keep Holloway untill June, but the work for the complete overhaul top to bottom needs to start NOW Penrice needs get to work on player recruitment while Fernandez and Gangooli need to be getting it right for the admin and management to start work in June

Comment

Total over the top exagerating tarbie sorry mate, ffs as doggs has said we`ve had a blunted strike force, & whoever has been given the start doesnt take it, so ollies packed out the midfield, but we`re a few decent players away from getting a good first 11, why would that need a complete overhaul? youre talking twaddle, we`re going through the overhaul slowly and now, & will take a while especially with no funds! but why does everyone panic after a few games when the seasons barely half way through? stamina and belief is needed which so many on here havnt got!
                        http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post
                          Yep the manager leaves a lot to be desired mainly sticking to formations the players aren't capable of playing but he is only part of the problem let's be frankly honest going into the season with Smith Mackie Washington as our attacking force was and is embarrassing to say the least , is syla the man not imo but he definitely deserves more playing time but be fair he's not the man to carry us to play off contention without back up is he ?
                          Under ###'s Ramsey was the man to replace H R and save us from relegation , then Ramsey was the the man to lead us to championship stability , then JFH was going to turn things around , now we have Holloway blindly sicking to formations that only he can see as a way to take to take us to mid table while being handicapped by a blunt attack and ( Not my fault ### ) sits back comfortable that that we will heap it all on the obvious target the manager , yesterday while being a gratefully received 3 points was really papering over the cracks a 0_1 Wasn't nothing to shout about with the amount of control we had
                          I agree - starting the season with that forward line is criminal negligence. How on earth they thought we’d do anything other than struggle with a team which has pretty much zero goal threat beggars belief. Washington and Mackie....f uck that even sounds sh.it. They are non-league standard. I’m not sure what the answer is though....Holloway has no money to spend.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Floyd Rabbit View Post
                            Oh here he is. Never to been seen any other week
                            Too right jimmy, im not going to rise to the same lot that post on every single thread the same thing every day son, better to jusat let the toys fly out of the prams, same as when we win or draw it still carries on

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post
                              Total over the top exagerating tarbie sorry mate, ffs as doggs has said we`ve had a blunted strike force, & whoever has been given the start doesnt take it, so ollies packed out the midfield, but we`re a few decent players away from getting a good first 11, why would that need a complete overhaul? youre talking twaddle, we`re going through the overhaul slowly and now, & will take a while especially with no funds! but why does everyone panic after a few games when the seasons barely half way through? stamina and belief is needed which so many on here havnt got!
                              Because it wasn’t a few games mate....it was 6 without a win which included an a.rsehole lucky draw. Considering we had two strings of 6 successive defeats last season under Holloway, it was completely rational for the fans to be worried. I def don’t think he is the answer but tbh with our powder puff forward line I’m not sure what any other manager could do....no strikers is our BIG problem. To think we spent nearly all the money we got for Chazza on dogs.hit Washington. That Pboro chairman must be laughing his b.ollox off...

Comment

Originally posted by Northolt_Rs View Post
                                Because it wasn’t a few games mate....it was 6 without a win which included an a.rsehole lucky draw. Considering we had two strings of 6 successive defeats last season under Holloway, it was completely rational for everybody to be worried. I def don’t think he is the answer but tbh with our powder puff forward line I’m not sure what any other manager could do....no strikers is our BIG problem. To think we spent nearly all the money we got for Chazza on dogs.hit Washington. That Pboro chairman must be laughing his b.ollox off...
                                Yeah agree northolt we`ve had a couple of bad patches, but its how we respond and get out of them, and yeah our strikeforce definately needs atleast bare minimum 2 quality strikers bringing in, but we havnt had the money to bring in more signings, but if i was ollie id go for a couple of strikers on loan with a view to signing them if we could.

Comment

Working...
                                X