No announcement yet.

David Wheeler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He doesn't suit Holloways tactics. The idea of the two front men is not to score but to mark the centre backs. Wheeler will only get a look in when he plays WB.

Comment

• I'm afraid this topic (like many others) is completely irrelevant, despite the truth it may contain.....

The only relevance is doing everything possible to facilitate the removal of the manager. He has become a liability.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phily R View Post
        We all know our strikers are pretty rubbish we have known that for ages and it's costing us big time. Even yesterday when we were not playing that badly early on we never look like scoring because there is no quality and never anyone who might make something out of nothing. We then get frustrated and start lobbing in crosses from deep and easy meat for most defenders. The fact we have no width is again down to selections.
        What frustrates me most are people who say Holloway can only do so little with what he has at his disposal. I say that is rubbish. Hollowways persintent picking of Mackie and Washington whatever borders on moronic, neither are instinctive goalscorers. For God sake how many games does he have to persist with the same forwards who have proved game after game after game. If Washington had one good season at Peterborough he as definitely proved he has lost it and then some!
        When you get the sort of proof you have to wonder why the odd striker from u21 has not been given a shot. They could not have done any worse. On our other 2 regular starters Smith is nothing more than a big lump who can cause a bit chaos late on and Sylla probably our best bet but needs a run in the side but again both need crosses from wider.
        Which brings me on to Wheeler. Someone in QPR maybe Penrice or someone else with maybe more ability than Hollowhead scouted this guy and thought this guy had real potential and maybe the answer to our goals. Enough to buy him for a small amount when we have no money. The trouble is labelling as he was described in some quarters as a winger mainly but also as a winger/striker in others. Hollowhead being old school does not have the brains or perception to consider anything else as he was told he was a winger. When we first bought him as with others we studied the YouTube including 8 in 7 and what is noticeable that nearly all the goals are central finisher poacher type goals but maybe not as the main guy right up front.
        So when we get Wheeler he is really confident coming off a long goal scoring run. But what does our brainless manager do, he persists with Mackie and Washington game after game even when the proof and results is they have no real goal scoring instinct and pretty average to boot. So where does that leave Wheeler, on the bench game after game with his confidence disappearing. Finally he gets a game at wingback.. brilliant and when that does not work out gets left out for weeks again. Then low an behold out of the blue he gets a start in a really tough fixture away at Derby as a lone hold up striker. Again brilliant I wonder what planet Hollowhead is on sometimes. Where he gets booted by great central defender lumps with virtually no support. So that did no work so back on the sidelines.
        My point is that while Holloway is still here we are probably unlikely to ever see him in a position he might be good at. Maybe he might be limited or will not run around like a demented animal. Maybe or maybe not he just might good at finishing which is instinctive whatever the league. Will we ever find out with Wheeler or some other ace from the under 21s with this blinkered manager in charge.
        Good post thing is with Washington I live in Peterborough and when I can't get to home games I'll watch them. Start of season we signed him his confidence was shot they stuck by him and Les scouted him. We signed him and half the problem is we don't create a lot so misses are more obvious having said that I don't think he's good enough either. Wheeler not had fair crack of game time imo. Personally I think fresh set of eyes management would help squad as we must improve or prepare for league 1

Comment

• Great OP

Comment

• Ollie is blinkered as to think work rate is the be all and end all and talent comes second. After all, that was him as a player. He only sees one way. His persistence of the system we play i.e 3 cb, 2 wb, 3 cm is hurting us more than helping us. He doesn't know how to change it. Shoehorning players to fit his formation is wrong. Should be playing a formation to suit the players. He is blinded by his own lack of tactical awareness. And his decisions are completely baffling. We have several players not just Wheeler who for what ever reason are being ignored in the main and not getting a decent run in the side and or not being played in positions they will thrive or both. Its scandalous to buy decent players and not give them the best chance to show them what they can do.
            Last edited by qprjeff1882; 10-12-2017, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• Good OP

Never understood why we bought him just to sit on the sidelines, a waste. Was he a Ollie purchase?
              I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

• Good post. Wheeler's good enough to be played up front. Good finisher.
                "When you went to the corner and saw our fans celebrating the way they were you just wanted to be part of it" - Shaun Derry after we beat the scum 1-0

Comment

• Originally posted by Undecided View Post
                  Reading the comments on here, little has changed in the last, say, 5 years. We have no initiate, construction or creativity in the last third.
                  This is spot on. Far too many workhorses and not enough with the vision to make a pass through or over a defence.

Drop Scowen or, dare I say it, Luongo and get Ryan Manning into the middle of the park.

Comment

Working...
                  X