DOF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOF

I get why people are sceptical of the DOF role and why it may put off some managers.

However for me makes perfect sense. An old school manager had to do the lot. If some of 'the lot' is taken away that in theory allows them to concentrate on the team itself and getting that part right.

It is common abroad. Most of the successful managers in this country are foreign and used to having a DOF. English managers generally nowhere near as good as foreigners. Do we really have a top English manager? Even likes of Big Sam are not really trophy challengers. That suggests to me that foreign mentality/systems/ways of doing things works better. Perhaps we should therefore accept things like DOF roles as a progression of the game in this country and we are a little ahead of some of our competitors, in that regard anyway.

Same as any kind of job. The less someone has to do the more they can concentrate on what they have left. Maybe the fact we have a DOF would be seen as a positive by a foreign manager looking to try their hand at things over here.

Are yo Les?

Comment

Originally posted by dave58 View Post
      Are yo Les?
      no, deliberately didn't comment on Les. Just on concept of having a DOF.

Les seems to have done a lot of good at the club but managerial appointments rank. Jury out for me.

Comment

Les is a problem because no decent gaffer would risk working under an unproven dof with the scope Les seems to enjoy.

And that's before we even start talking about working for uncle. Uncle has ringfenced himself with Les and the questionable Hoos. But he can not see how that limits the quality of potential candidates.

He needs to face up to the fact that we're a small club, the sort that a decent boss could look after on his own. At least that way everyone sings off the same hymn sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
          I get why people are sceptical of the DOF role and why it may put off some managers.

However for me makes perfect sense. An old school manager had to do the lot. If some of 'the lot' is taken away that in theory allows them to concentrate on the team itself and getting that part right.

It is common abroad. Most of the successful managers in this country are foreign and used to having a DOF. English managers generally nowhere near as good as foreigners. Do we really have a top English manager? Even likes of Big Sam are not really trophy challengers. That suggests to me that foreign mentality/systems/ways of doing things works better. Perhaps we should therefore accept things like DOF roles as a progression of the game in this country and we are a little ahead of some of our competitors, in that regard anyway.

Same as any kind of job. The less someone has to do the more they can concentrate on what they have left. Maybe the fact we have a DOF would be seen as a positive by a foreign manager looking to try their hand at things over here.
          Our last 3 managers fared well with dof les.

Other news, pe teacher on sky sports website promoting the Rooney rule once more.
          If someone cares to post a link to the video that would be great.
          nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

What is a proven DOF ?

Les seems to have overseen the removal of the last of the Redchap era players, and the bringing in of Ramsay+JFH+Olly players. Some excellent (Smithies,Freeman,Scowen), some crap(Gladwin,ElK, Swazzy) but on the whole more of the 'rightsorts' than we were getting before surely

I reckon the owners/Les/Hoos/Holloway do appear to be singing off the same hymn sheet - for now

Comment

Smithies was earmarked by Redknapps era Freeman scowens and Baptists down to Holloway !!

Comment

Originally posted by HertsHoops View Post
                What is a proven DOF ?

Les seems to have overseen the removal of the last of the Redchap era players, and the bringing in of Ramsay+JFH+Olly players. Some excellent (Smithies,Freeman,Scowen), some crap(Gladwin,ElK, Swazzy) but on the whole more of the 'rightsorts' than we were getting before surely

I reckon the owners/Les/Hoos/Holloway do appear to be singing off the same hymn sheet - for now

We haven’t won away in 17 games.
                C'Mon You Supaaaa!!

Comment

Les seems to have done a lot of good at the club but managerial appointments rank.
                  And given the choice, which is the more important of those two areas? Surely most would argue the latter?

If he'd been more successful with his managerial appointments we wouldn't even be having this conversation - and lets make no bones about it, he couldn't have been any less successful.

This is why so many people question his position, his title, his role - and if a DoF is even necessary for a club of our small size. Yes, you can certainly see why bigger clubs need them.

And to pre-empt all the LF defenders, in no way is this to bash the guy as I'm sure he's doing the best he can, and when TF approached him with the job offer, of course he wasn't going to turn it down.

What is a proven DOF ?
                  LF is on record as saying he's had to learn whilst on the job. I guess that kind of answers your question. IOW someone at least with a semblance of track record, as opposed to just another R's club legend.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                    And given the choice, which is the more important of those two areas? Surely most would argue the latter?

If he'd been more successful with his managerial appointments we wouldn't even be having this conversation - and lets make no bones about it, he couldn't have been any less successful.

This is why so many people question his position, his title, his role - and if a DoF is even necessary for a club of our small size. Yes, you can certainly see why bigger clubs need them.

And to pre-empt all the LF supporters, in no way is this to bash the guy as I'm sure he's doing the best he can, and when TF approached him with the job offer, of course he wasn't going to turn it down.

LF is on record as saying he's had to learn whilst on the job. I guess that kind of answers your question. IOW someone at least with a semblance of track record, as opposed to just another R's club legend.
                    He’s ar.sehole lucky - would never have been offered a DOF role by any other club in the entire football league. His three manager appointments - Ramsey (FFS!!!!), JFH, Holloway - have been absolutely disastrous for the club. We’ve gone from being in the PL to narrowly missing relegation to Div 1 under his watch....

Comment

Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post
                      Smithies was earmarked by Redknapps era Freeman scowens and Baptists down to Holloway !!
                      If Ollie responsible for those signings, as opposed or scouts, suggests he would be a better scout than he is manager!

Comment

If Ollie responsible for those signings, as opposed or scouts, suggests he would be a better scout than he is manager!
                        Would be a better sprout than he is a manager.

Deffo an aqquired taste

Comment

What is a proven DOF ?

I agree. Lots of good stuff going on at the club at the moment. Easy to forget on here though.

Comment

Director Of Failure

Comment

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post
                              I agree. Lots of good stuff going on at the club at the moment. Easy to forget on here though.
                              I certainly recognise all the good work LF is doing off the pitch - he deserves much credit for that, but what ultimately counts are his managerial appointments which have so far proved disastrous.

Comment

Working...
                              X