Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right hand man

Not going down the 'Olly out route' it won't work

Undeniably this season (well until Derby) we have shown more energy, fight and determination. Players seem together, up for it and playing for Olly, whose motivational chest thumping has done the trick on that front. However, as we all knew from his first stint, he is not a great tactician and some of his selections and substitute decisions are costing us in games

Birch is cast in the same mould, his passion and chest thumping are also topnotch, which makes for a great assistant if thats whats needed - but its not

What is needed is a coach who can help Olly to get a grip on tactics, in training and in-game

Penrice is undoubtably a good scout, tipping us Freeman and Scowen etc, surely we should be scouting for a proper right-hand man to fill in Olly's shortcomings ?

If we have little or no money to spend, surely reinvesting Caulkers wages in a Mclaren-esque coach would be worthwhile ?

Last two away performances have been dismal perhaps players have lost faith in the approach away from the bush and just want to be set free

Comment

Clint Hill
      I must away now, I can no longer tarry
      This morning's tempest I have to cross
      I must be guided without a stumble
      Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
        Clint Hill
        I do think that is the key ingredient we mucked up on. Just the type of man in the dressing room we are missing
        I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Can see the rationale but makes Ollie sound like a child. He is an experienced football manager and should not need a sidekick to tell him how to pick the team, set it up and then make tactical changes as needed during a game.

I appreciate we are stuck with him but if best option we can come up with is to get someone in to tell him how to do his job says it all!

Comment

we're missing someone who has some tactical knowledge who can say no to ollie. ollie and bircham are pretty alike, they love the club and bleed passion for it but as far as their tactical awareness is nonexistent. i have no idea what fleming does as he was brought in to shore up our defence which hes failed at imo

Comment

Originally posted by HertsHoops View Post

Undeniably this season (well until Derby) we have shown more energy, fight and determination. Players seem together, up for it and playing for Olly, whose motivational chest thumping has done the trick on that front. However, as we all knew from his first stint, he is not a great tactician and some of his selections and substitute decisions are costing us in games

Birch is cast in the same mould, his passion and chest thumping are also topnotch, which makes for a great assistant if thats whats needed - but its not

What is needed is a coach who can help Olly to get a grip on tactics, in training and in-game

Penrice is undoubtably a good scout, tipping us Freeman and Scowen etc, surely we should be scouting for a proper right-hand man to fill in Olly's shortcomings ?

If we have little or no money to spend, surely reinvesting Caulkers wages in a Mclaren-esque coach would be worthwhile ?
              Last time Olly had Jackett as his tactician / foil, and sadly Birch isn't in the Jackett mould. Whilst i too have seen more energy, my worry is that after 2 fantastic wins against sides who will be Top 6 by the end of the season, we have followed this with 3 extremely abject performances in not unwinnable games and unless that changes quickly we will be looking at another 6 defeats on the row scenario again, for the 3rd time. 6 run games don't happen to teams very often, so if we witness a 3rd scenario within a 12 month period that to me is very very worrying. Hoping we will be up for the Bees game on Monday but after our capitulation in the cup game and being on TV, i just worry we will get taken down again by them.

Comment

Latest three games we've been on a downward spiral. Next couple of games will show if we should be worried about our direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy the Doc View Post
                  Latest three games we've been on a downward spiral. Next couple of games will show if we should be worried about our direction.
                  Agree with this. Next couple are against sides we should defeinitely be on at least an even keel with. Should be looking to stop the rot and get at least 4 points to push on from.

Comment

Phil Neal? worked great with Graham Taylor.

Comment

Or David Bardsley who really wants to come back.
                      QPR
                      Best team in the world
                      Sort of

Comment

As soon as Ollie and bircham were announced as duo it was obvious they would be disaster. Someone like Gerry Francis involved or similar it would work but currently it’s two heart and soul Individuals who are way to similar

Comment

Originally posted by HertsHoops View Post

Great post

Comment

Maybe ollie should be the right hand man ?

Comment

Steve McClaren is wasting away in tel aviv.......

Comment

Working...
                              X