Stability and spending money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stability and spending money

I was taken to the Brighton -v- Stoke game on Monday night. Was quite relaxing watching a match I didn't much care the outcome of in a nice stadium. Got me thinking of how Brighton have managed it.

They have been consistently good over last few years in the Championship but without quite getting there until they finally managed it last year. This has been despite having frequent changes in manager and not spending much money until their first Premiership summer window. Looking at the team sheet on the back of the programme not brought many players through ranks either.

Whilst not having much in way of managerial consistency they have built their squad by buying clever and not really selling. Also most of the managerial appointments have been good, if sometimes not long lived.

How I think they have largely done it has been by not selling many players they didn't want shot of, stability in the club, good infrastructure and decent scouting.

Looking at us we are in my view gradually getting there after a few years of horrendous mistakes. Whilst not spending we aren't really selling which is allowing for some squad stability. Still some work to do but we have basis for decent squad at this level. Lots of work been done over last couple of years on infrastructure, training facilities, youth and reserve teams, coaching, scouting network. Looking longer term club trying to secure better training facilities and new ground. Owners devolving responsibilities to LF on football side and Lee Hoos on business side. Managerial appointments aside LF looks from the outside to be making good progress and Hoos comes across as switched on.

Whilst on the pitch very frustrating at present also plenty to be optimistic about for the future.

Brighton still spent about £20m on players in the 2 years before going up though. Doubt we'll be spending anything like that for a while.

Comment

Not much by modern standards but yes doubt we will be spending that anytime soon. I would be happy with gradual progress. If we could get a half decent manager in think we would have a good chance of achieving that. We are getting a lot of other things slowly right.

Comment

Totally agree, good post!

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
          Not much by modern standards but yes doubt we will be spending that anytime soon. I would be happy with gradual progress. If we could get a half decent manager in think we would have a good chance of achieving that. We are getting a lot of other things slowly right.
          Have to agree that we are slowly getting things right. Think the frustration for me is really how we don't alter our gameplan away from home. Get the points on the board from away games, rekindle the home form and we are laughing all the way to mid-table (IMO). Push on from there.

Comment

Working...
          X