Character v Talent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character v Talent

This is the question we now confront. Hear a lot about a better locker room, a better attitude, but when we fall behind in a game (save one comeback this season) we feel done. We are done. Yes, we have no real striker talent. Yes, we have no midfielders able to hit goal-worthy shots from the top of the box. But what does it say when we just melt at the first sign of being behind? Then again, wqe do not have the talent to win many games cause we simply can't score. Washington...Mackie...Smith...NgBkota? Doesn't matter. Objective for remainder of the season should be to beat the bottom dwellers to avoid relegation, use our young players second half of season to gauge what we may have moving forward, and stop all the playoff talk. We ain't got it. Not this squad. And most likely not under this coach.

Disagree mate, we have talent (limited talent admittedly, but enough for this league), and we have character.

What we also have is a circus act in charge of team selections and tactics. This for me is the only thing stopping is from competing in this league. We can bang on all we want about limited funds etc. but the fact is we have 3 or 4 players in the team that could walk into any side in this league. What we're missing is somebody who knows what they are doing in the dugout.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
      Disagree mate, we have talent (limited talent admittedly, but enough for this league), and we have character.

What we also have is a circus act in charge of team selections and tactics. This for me is the only thing stopping is from competing in this league. We can bang on all we want about limited funds etc. but the fact is we have 3 or 4 players in the team that could walk into any side in this league. What we're missing is somebody who knows what they are doing in the dugout.
      This is actually spot on.
      Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
      Pawel Wszolek - 6
      Luke Freeman - 6
      Matt Smith - 6
      Ebere Eze - 4
      Joel Lynch - 3
      Tomer Hemed - 3
      Toni Leistner - 2
      Massimo Luongo- 2
      Angel Rangel - 2
      Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
      Geoff Cameron - 1
      Aramide Oteh - 1
      Jake Bidwell - 1
      Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

What character? Charlie Chaplin? Groucho Marx? Ken Dodd?

We've got a load of mediocre journeymen with no system to suit their limited abilities.

I'd like to wear a mankini but I'd be locked up if I went out in public. Our squad is trying to wear the 'mankini' Ollie bought at Sky Sports and gets turned on by..

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Ninja View Post
          This is actually spot on.
          No it's not spot on if you and Tarbie think any side can get by with 3_4 players that can walk in to any side in this div you are deluded ! I actually think we have 5 ! but to have 5 very good players at this level plus 6 bags of shlt plus 3 subs is far from making a combative team , I've said we have smithies Robinson Scowens Luongo and Freeman and then max 4 ordinary players the rest are dross that that would struggle to get another club at this level , I hear give the kids a go well come who knows ANYTHING about the kids posters have asked for wheeler yeah give wheeler a shot got took off ! An indication he's not ready yet ? I've been accused of being an olie supporter well I'll tell you all if he can't handle it when or if he gets those 5 I've mentioned plus 3_4 competent players and a competent bench then I'll be the first to scream for his head

Comment

Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post
            No it's not spot on if you and Tarbie think any side can get by with 3_4 players that can walk in to any side in this div you are deluded ! I actually think we have 5 ! but to have 5 very good players at this level plus 6 bags of shlt plus 3 subs is far from making a combative team , I've said we have smithies Robinson Scowens Luongo and Freeman and then max 4 ordinary players the rest are dross that that would struggle to get another club at this level , I hear give the kids a go well come who knows ANYTHING about the kids posters have asked for wheeler yeah give wheeler a shot got took off ! An indication he's not ready yet ? I've been accused of being an olie supporter well I'll tell you all if he can't handle it when or if he gets those 5 I've mentioned plus 3_4 competent players and a competent bench then I'll be the first to scream for his head
            Have Sheff Utd, Cardiff and Bristol City all got 11 top Championship players then? Last time I checked, those 3 teams had more journeymen than us, and they currently sit 2nd, 3rd and 5th!

Don't get your point about Wheeler either. Of course the guy looked rubbish last night. He ain't a striker and was asked to play up top on his own against one of the best defences in the league.

I'll also add that we have decent talent beyond those 5 players you've listed. Bidwell was a promising Everton youth player who was very highly rated in a good Brentford side before we signed him. Ain't his fault the manager plays him out of position every week. Cousins is raved about by Charlton fans as the best central midfielder they'd had since Scotty Parker, so we play him as a wing back! Then you have the 2 Polish internationals, 1 of which we never see, the other is a winger that we play at wing back. And the Pawel situation annoys me too, cos he could be a top player in this division if used correctly.

I actually look through our squad and don't see any particularly bad players. Yeah, there are a fair few that haven't worked out. But I'd go as far to say that you could put every player in our squad up for sale and there would be interest from at least Championship level for 80% of them.
            Last edited by Tarbie; 22-11-2017, 08:17 AM.

Comment

We certainly don't have the strikers to make us competitive in this league. Yes sylla would get a few goals but we are massively lacking in that department to ever be competitive in this league. I think charlie proved just how important a goalscoring striker is.
              I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Have Sheff Utd, Cardiff and Bristol City all got 11 top Championship players then? Last time I checked, those 3 teams had more journeymen than us, and they currently sit 2nd, 3rd and 5th!

Don't get your point about Wheeler either. Of course the guy looked rubbish last night. He ain't a striker and was asked to play up top on his own against one of the best defences in the league.

I'll also add that we have decent talent beyond those 5 players you've listed. Bidwell was a promising Everton youth player who was very highly rated in a good Brentford side before we signed him. Ain't his fault the manager plays him out of position every week. Cousins is raved about by Charlton fans as the best central midfielder they'd had since Scotty Parker, so we play him as a wing back! Then you have the 2 Polish internationals, 1 of which we never see, the other is a winger that we play at wing back. And the Pawel situation annoys me too, cos he could be a top player in this division if used correctly.

I actually look through our squad and don't see any particularly bad players. Yeah, there are a fair few that haven't worked out. But I'd go as far to say that you could put every player in our squad up for sale and there would be interest from at least Championship level for 80% of them.
                Can't have all of that Tarbie tho i agree with most of your posts , there's not a lot wrong with Bidwell or wzs decent pros , not all Charlton fans were sorry to see cousins go ! Smith Mackie Washington JET Yeni crap I still say wheeler isn't ready he was bought in as a striker the amount of wide players tells us that , lynch hoof perch only had the handful of decent games Bory what ever his name furlong oh plus Caulker not much good nah not for me
                Being journey men doesn't make them bad if selected , it's our journey men have been thrown together
                Last edited by dogsrrs; 22-11-2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Do we all accept that Washington is pretty poop now and not going to evolve into a proper goal getter. We took a punt but lost on him

Comment

Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post
                    Can't have all of that Tarbie tho i agree with most of your posts , there's not a lot wrong with Bidwell or wzs decent pros , not all Charlton fans were sorry to see cousins go ! Smith Mackie Washington JET Yeni crap I still say wheeler isn't ready he was bought in as a striker the amount of wide players tells us that , lynch hoof perch only had the handful of decent games Bory what ever his name furlong not much nah not for me
                    Agree that Mackie is past it at this level, and Smith is only any good as an impact sub. Washington is definitely good enough for this level, he just needs to get in the goals. JET is a League 1 player. Yeni, there is a player in there, I'm sure of it. Lynch and Perch both plenty good enough for the Championship, and Furlong I think will be a good player with a bit of patience.

Have a good look at Burtons squad if you want to see a group of players that aren't good enough and will have to battle to stay up. Not something we should ever be saying about our current group of players in my opinion.
                    Last edited by Tarbie; 22-11-2017, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                      Do we all accept that Washington is pretty poop now and not going to evolve into a proper goal getter. We took a punt but lost on him
                      Confidence player for me mate. I think if he got a run of goals we'd all look at him in a different light. Whether that run of goals ever happens is debatable though.

I definitely think we are in need of another option up top. Problem is decent strikers at this level don't come cheap!

Comment

Agree that Mackie is past it at this level, and Smith is only any good as an impact sub. Washington is definitely good enough for this level, he just needs to get in the goals. JET is a League 1 player. Yeni, there is a player in there, I'm sure of it. Lynch and Perch both plenty good enough for the Championship, and Furlong I think will be a good player with a bit of patience.

Have a good luck at Burtons squad if you want to see a group of players that aren't good enough and will have to battle to stay up. Not something we should ever be saying about our current group of players in my opinion.
                        I don't think we are going to struggle to stay up buddy but I tell where I do have have a problem about players being played out of position is Washington I can't see him as a striker imo if he's here next season Holloway needs to give him a run as central midfielder has energy to burn and a drop back a bit deeper could be a turning point in his game should have the vision to know what forwards want

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post
                          We certainly don't have the strikers to make us competitive in this league. Yes sylla would get a few goals but we are massively lacking in that department to ever be competitive in this league. I think charlie proved just how important a goalscoring striker is.
                          Who's the top goalscorer in the League mate?

32 year old Leon Clarke is who. He's played at 17 different clubs across the Championship and League 1 over the last 15 years, and done nothing at most if them (including us). Not being funny, if we'd been in for him in the summer this message board would have gone into meltdown.

Not saying we have the perfect front line, I agree we are at least 1 decent striker short, but we have enough to be competitive I think.

Comment

Ability wins you games runners help you compete. Our mob overall rely on the later hence why we are struggling and will continue to.

Comment

Washington is definitely good enough for this level
                              Hope yer right but I don't see any evidence that suggests this.

Comment

Working...
                              X