Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The earth's rotation slows down minutely at times, apparently....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The earth's rotation slows down minutely at times, apparently....

...who knew? And now scientists think this minuscule slowing of the earth's rotation is related to increased earthquake activity. Fascinating article - as are some of the comments beneath it, for example:

"I'm still getting over the discovery last month that gold and platinum are only produced in the catastrophic collisions of two neutron stars (apparently around six or so solid Earth's worth of gold each time it happens)."

And:

"While we're on the subject - when white dwarf stars cool down, their carbon crystallizes into Earth-sized diamonds"

But the question is, why does it slow down periodically? Does anyone on here know?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ig-earthquakes

The earth is flat Hubs mate

Comment

Surely got to be connected to placement of other objects impacting on our orbit

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
        ...who knew? And now scientists think this minuscule slowing of the earth's rotation is related to increased earthquake activity. Fascinating article - as are some of the comments beneath it, for example:

"[FONT="]I'm still getting over the discovery last month that gold and platinum are only produced in the catastrophic collisions of two neutron stars (apparently around six or so solid [/FONT]Earth's worth of gold each time it happens)."

And:

"[FONT="]While we're on the subject - when white dwarf stars cool down, their carbon crystallizes into Earth-sized diamonds"[/FONT]

But the question is, why does it slow down periodically? Does anyone on here know?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ig-earthquakes
        The odd thing is Hubs, you are the one on here with all the knowledge but I actually knew that fact, even if I don't know why
        #standuptocancer
        #inyourfacecancer

Comment

Originally posted by Hove Ranger View Post

My theory is 'what goes up, must come down', if something is moving or spinning, it will eventually come to a halt.

Comment

I'm sure there was a documentary I see a few years ago, about what would happen if the Earth stopped spinning?

Comment

Originally posted by MYU View Post

My theory is 'what goes up, must come down', if something is moving or spinning, it will eventually come to a halt.
              Friction - what goes up must come down, or so they say - I pass the baton to Hubble for the conspiracy theories
              #standuptocancer
              #inyourfacecancer

Comment

Excellent watch here with Mick West, the king of debunkers:

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                  Excellent watch here with Mick West, the king of debunkers:

Mick west is a joke. Wont even bother watching it.
                  Last edited by Hove Ranger; 11-01-2018, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Mick west is a joke.
                    Care to elaborate? I'd never seen or heard of him before watching this interview, so approached it with an open mind. At face value he came across as level-headed enough to me, but I'm always open to other opinions...

As for the above interview he attempted to debunk such conspiracies as people truly believing that the Earth is flat; chemtrails, and others...

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                      Care to elaborate? I'd never seen or heard of him before watching this interview, so approached it with an open mind. At face value he came across as level-headed enough to me, but I'm always open to other opinions...

As for the above interview he attempted to debunk such conspiracies as people truly believing that the Earth is flat; chemtrails, and others...
                      No need to elaborate. I've seen a few things from him and that's enough. Joe rogan wasn't very complimentary if him in subsequent interviews. You've seen 1 interview and call him the king of debunkers. Belief is an interesting thing, there's always a lie in the middle
                      Last edited by Hove Ranger; 11-01-2018, 06:33 PM.

Comment

You've seen 1 interview and call him the king of debunkers.
                        Not my words, heard him called that elsewhere and thought I'd check out the video. Yes, I really should have put that in quotes. I found him impressive though on face value, as I say. You're wrong about Rogan being critical of him in subsequent videos though, as this one was very recent (and I've heard all his podcasts since). So I guess you must be referring to a previous one.

Anyway, lets cut to the chase here Hove, most of the above interview, which you haven't seen, is taken up with him debunking the flat earth conspiracy, as well as contrails. Are you telling me you believe the earth is flat, or that contrails are a government plot to poison us all? If so, maybe that would explain why you're so dismissive of him? Joe Rogan certainly isn't dismissive on those particular two. If not, I'd be interested to hear which ones you disagree with him about, as maybe we'd agree on that, or I might at least have an open mind about. I certainly don't reject every conspiracy theory out of hand.

Comment

I thought they spoke about him in the Eddie bravo episode. If in wrong then apologies.

There is no chase to cut to Stan. I'm not a fan of Mick west and anybody who's profession revolves around debunking everything. (King of debunkers, his website is metabunk etc.) Surely that in itself should be a red flag

Comment

Does he debunk everything, or just the nonsense theories? I really don’t know. He said on Joe Rogan that he’s retired now and metabunk is purely a hobby he makes no income from. He made all his money from creating computer games and is retired now. Anyway I appreciate you’re no fan of his, I just found nothing in his interview that seemed implausible personally, apart from possibly some of the JFK stuff.

Comment

Here's the thing about 'conspiracy theories' - the term is used as a catch-all stick to beat anyone with if their ideas don't conform to mainstream ideology. Of course there are all sorts of crackpot ideas and theories out there, and I'd include Flat Earth as one of them, but that does not mean all conspiracy theories are crackpot - far from it. Indeed, in recent years we're seen many so-called conspiracy theories exposed as conspiracy facts.

The very fact that the mainstream media is invested in perpetuating a certain narrative means that it is an entirely untrustworthy source of genuine information. Fortunately today we have the internet. So powerful a tool for disseminating information is it that of course many governments want to ban or control it, and most mainstream media outlets want to brand anything that is not 'their' news as 'fake news'. Again, of course, there is a welter of absolute nonsense on the net. Just as there is in the mainstream media. The art is being able to discern the credible from the BS. For me the starting point is to maintain an open but skeptical mind. I look for evidence, for connections, for trustworthy sources, and also at the widest range of sources in order to get the truest picture I can.

Many conspiracy ideas have similarities with cults or religions, Flat Earth theory being one of them. In point of fact I know people who genuinely believe FE theory is true. They are incredibly difficult people to have a discussion with as they have a kind of smug (and entirely unwarranted) superiority in regard to anything you say that does not fit their view. They are immune to plain scientific evidence, yet are happy to use their own pseudo-science to back up their arguments whenever it suits them. Generally trying to debate with them is a waste of time: they've already made their minds up. Anyone who has such a closed-minded attitude is a cultist in my book.

It is also quite acceptable to remain sceptical and open in regard to many conspiracy theories, given that there are all sorts of inconsistencies in the official stories. For example I do not think Mick West debunks chemtrails (not contrails) in the video above. Here's my take: I grew in West London under the flight path to Heathrow, I saw planes criss-crossing the sky every day of my life for years, and have done pretty much ever since. There is a difference between contrails and what people call chemtrails. I can assert absolutely that the type of so-called contrail we often see today, that is a thick trail that does not disperse quickly, but lingers in the sky for sometimes well over half an hour, and often forms criss-cross grids, simply did not exist in my childhood. Now I'm not saying they're definitely 'chemtrails', but there is a significant difference that hasn't been accounted for. I have researched pictures of contrails from the 60s, 70s and 80s and cannot find a single one that matches the kind of skies you often see today. I'm sure there is a perfectly rational explanation, but I haven't found it yet.
                              Last edited by Hubble; 13-01-2018, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X