Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conversation with Ollie: WATRB Fans Forum Report

1. Default Conversation with Ollie: WATRB Fans Forum Report

So at the forum on Thursday evening I had a chat with Ollie after the event. Before that, during the forum itself, it seemed fairly clear to me that his emotional engagement with the club was his main card, his shtick. He kept going on about our wonderful owners - as you would expect - and bigged up the onfield commitment, but there was no insight whatsoever into how our current shortcomings might be solved on the park. So after this fairly bland hour, I sought him out. To his credit, he gave me a few minutes and answered some direct questions.

1) Away form. During the forum, Ollie took responsibility for this. But no one asked him what he was going to do about it. So I did. His answer was that he had to stop us sitting so deep. We have been too deep against inferior opposition. I asked if there was anything else, and he said he wanted to see our away ball being played out from the back more effectively. Taken together, these answers seem to indicate that we don't always approach away fixtures with confidence and belief, despite all the chest beating.

2) I picked Ollie up on his quote " you need people to shift the piano but you need someone to play it ". I asked him if, hand on heart, we had anyone capable of orchestrating things, anyone at all who could find that bit of time and space. He again said that the space has to be created from the back. That seemed to me to be a fairly clear indication that we're short of soloists. It is fairly obvious that although we have effort, enthusiasm, and some decent prospects, we lack class, and Ollie knows this for sure. I reminded him that he'd played alongside class, so he should recognise it if it turns up.... he just smiled. Like I said, he knows.

3) I asked him if he agreed that if they're good enough, they're old enough. He insisted he did, but actions speak louder than words. We shall see....

I've always had the impression that Ollie seems a bit surprised he got the job. Can't believe his luck etc. It is impossible not to like him, but I have to say I'm not sure if he knows how to do what he wants to do. He talks a great game, but I'm not sure he can implement it, and his resources are limited. Which of course raises many other questions, but those are not for him to answer, and I didn't manage to get hold of Hoos.

2. Default

Anyone that picks Mackie reguarly and Cousins and Pawel at RWB is going to struggle getting things right on the pitch. No creativity was oh so evident again today as was the serious lack of pace up top.

Thanks for the report Hal and for representing WATRB on the night. Pleased that you got a chance to speak with Ollie afterwards. I realise they gave a lot less time for questions from the floor this time.

Some very telling and interesting feedback from Ollie there. I think you asked just the right sort of questions - respectful but not sycophantic - and ones that a lot of fans would have wanted to ask. Nice piece of journalism mate.

He talks the talk but unfortunately he can't walk ........

He is the mad hatter in Alice in wonderland ,he does talk some unbelievable crap and picks teams that beggar belief, but while the players are still behind him I'm confident he can keep us up so should stay

6. Default

If I had a conversation with him I would shout the word winger at him repeatedly......

7. Default

Decent OP very informative

He’s taken job when club is in transition which he would have been aware of but at the same time he only got offered it, in my opinion, because we are in transition

Originally Posted by West Acton

He’s taken job when club is in transition which he would have been aware of but at the same time he only got offered it, in my opinion, because we are in transition
    About time others realised that West everybody know that when they bought their s t and he same applies to buying match day tickets we only have half a team ,
    Tho I don't agree with the o p that contradicts the old saying silk purses and pigs ears
    Last edited by dogsrrs; 19-11-2017 at 09:44 AM.

So how long will the dof, manager, owners will be using this soundbite transition word as their get out of jail free card for?

When does this transition end?
    nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Originally Posted by Hitman34
    So how long will the dof, manager, owners will be using this soundbite transition word as their get out of jail free card for?

When we get enough to field 11 descent players Hits

11. Default

For me got be when we’re operating on more stable financial footing. I personally don’t resent spending within our means etc as it’s long over due
    Last edited by West Acton; 19-11-2017 at 11:12 AM.

12. Default

For me got be when we’re operating on more stable financial footing. I personally don’t resent spending sighing our means etc as it’s long over due
    Hitman still doesn’t get it, there is no excuse we are where we now due spending & poor management, yes we are in a transitional period & will take as long as it takes to turn it around, we are just a middle of the table small club & I’d be quite happy to stay in this division for a while, we are not ready for premier yet & wouldn’t want to see again what happened before.

Olli hasn`t changed one bit from when the last time was here and utimatly had to walk a because of his shotcomings as a tactitian. IMO, we should now start to hoover the market for new candidates.
    Last edited by Shania; 19-11-2017 at 12:41 PM.
    QPR
    Best team in the world
    Sort of

So when do we declare that we're out of transition? 2-3 years into the same crap results? When we spend a couple of mill on a player again? When we seek out a good, capable manager not one who just 'loves the club'?

I'd love to know. I get we are trying to turn things around off the pitch but I can't see how we can push on with a manager who's clearly struggling with his decision making and a board that don't want to spend money.

15. Default

According to Hoos, we're a selling club. He repeated this statement. Now that's fine if

a) you have a production line and b) you have someone who can make the most of limited playing resources.

I think its too early to call the former, and as someone said above, Ollie will stay as long as the players have confidence in him - that's the acid test these days. He wouldn't be my first choice as a transition manager because I don't think he trusts the youngsters.

Truth is, we're pretty static rather than in transition.