Itll be nice on here for a change.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
    But how many of those goals were off the bench Brian?

For me, Matt Smith is probably the perfect impact sub for a side like ours in a league like the Championship. When we need a goal in the second half, bring him on as a battering ram. He will give the opposition defenders something to think about, and he's always a threat at set pieces. Selecting Smith from the start is negative for me, and is likely to encourage a more direct/long ball style of football.
    Not sure Tarbie, possibly all of them. Just thought it looked funny as a stat alongside our other strikers.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport View Post
      I'm sorry but I don't agree with this. On Sylla's bad days he can be completely anonymous. He might be the best finisher at the club but he needs to consistently work hard (like recently) so his bad days still give something for the team. If Olly has played Mackie and Washington because they work harder, and this has now inspired Sylla to work harder, then I would argue that this is good management.
      Exactomundo
      https://twitter.com/1qprdk

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Wilson View Post
        Not sure Tarbie, possibly all of them. Just thought it looked funny as a stat alongside our other strikers.
        He has by far the best goals per minutes ratio in the squad. Just check the stats below.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/te...rs/top-scorers

These stats really do only tell half the story here though. Smith has typically been used as an impact sub, coming on after 60 or 70 mins, against tired defenders. Often we will also be chasing a goal, and will have adopted more of a gung-ho approach.

The correct first choice selection for me is Sylla from the start, perhaps with Washington, or as a lone striker with pace on each wing either side of him. Smith is a guy that should always at least be on the bench. He's a great weapon to have in our arsenal when we are chasing a game!
        Last edited by Tarbie; 02-11-2017, 10:59 AM.

Comment

He has by far the best goals per minutes ratio in the squad. Just check the stats below.

These stats really do only tell half the story here though. Smith has typically been used as an impact sub, coming on after 60 or 70 mins, against tired defenders. Often we will also be chasing a goal, and will have adopted more of a gung-ho approach.

The correct first choice selection for me is Sylla from the start, perhaps with Washington, or as a loan striker with pace on each wing either side of him. Smith is a guy that should always at least be on the bench. He's a great weapon to have in our arsenal when we are chasing a game!
          Agree with all that, its certainly great we`ve smith who causes chaos to come off the bench, gives us more confidence
          http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

The correct first choice selection for me is Sylla from the start, perhaps with Washington, or as a loan striker with pace on each wing either side of him. Smith is a guy that should always at least be on the bench. He's a great weapon to have in our arsenal when we are chasing a game!
            Cheers, didn't know the BBC site had stats like that. Interesting stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Wilson View Post
              Cheers, didn't know the BBC site had stats like that. Interesting stuff.
              Do you reckon Ollie looks at these type of stats?

Comment

Do you reckon Ollie looks at these type of stats?
                For sure, actually think he is very clued in on this stuff (almost too much as he can second guess himself and overcomplicate IMO). Listen to his interview after the Wolves game where he talks tactics.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post
                  I wouldn't mind all this bo llocks if Ollie had money to spend but they didn't even give him a pot to pi ss in. There is definitely a player in Washington but his confidence has taken a huge hit. Sylla is OK but nothing amazing and wheeler let's just wait and see. I think we really need to move on. As long as Mackie doesn't start let's just support the bloke hits
                  TBF, I cannot argue with any of that.
                  Good post and agree with you.
                  nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Originally posted by Southport View Post
                    I'm sorry but I don't agree with this. On Sylla's bad days he can be completely anonymous. He might be the best finisher at the club but he needs to consistently work hard (like recently) so his bad days still give something for the team. If Olly has played Mackie and Washington because they work harder, and this has now inspired Sylla to work harder, then I would argue that this is good management.
                    Wrong. You are confusing work ethic with strike rate. The stats speak for themselves.

Washington was always a highly questionable purchase who for me has not proved himself at this level. Mackie is not an out and out striker. Neither have the composure. We all know that really.

I don't care if my front man spends 90% of the time scratching his backside if he can sniff out that one chance. Sylla has this, and Smith has it to a greater degree than Mackie or Washington. Running around a lot proves nothing when it comes to finding the net. You either have it or you don't.

You have to set up a side according to strengths, and Ollie has taken an awful long time to figure out what our strengths are. Not that we're overflowing with talent, which actually makes having a smart guv'nor even more important. We haven't got one of those either, but there are signs of progress.
                    Last edited by hal9thou; 02-11-2017, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                      Wrong. You are confusing work ethic with strike rate. The stats speak for themselves.

Washington was always a highly questionable purchase who for me has not proved himself at this level. Mackie is not an out and out striker. Neither have the composure. We all know that really.

I don't care if my front man spends 90% of the time scratching his backside if he can sniff out that one chance. Sylla has this, and Smith has it to a greater degree than Mackie or Washington. Running around a lot proves nothing when it comes to finding the net. You either have it or you don't.

You have to set up a side according to strengths, and Ollie has taken an awful long time to figure out what our strengths are. Not that we're overflowing with talent, which actually makes having a smart guv'nor even more important. We haven't got one of those either, but there are signs of progress.
                      lol a joke tbh saying we havnt a smart guvnor when hes doing a very good job, so you think just cos of a couple of differences like playing mackie we should get rid and go for a smart guvnor? ha unreal how some of you ollie haters just will not give up even though we`ve lost just 4 out of 15, it cracks me up tbh

Comment

What would be a not smart move is getting rid thinking we can get someone whos better and smarter, now that wouldnt be smart thinking that way in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                          I don't care if my front man spends 90% of the time scratching his backside if he can sniff out that one chance.
                          This is absolutely bang on.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post
                            lol a joke tbh saying we havnt a smart guvnor when hes doing a very good job, so you think just cos of a couple of differences like playing mackie we should get rid and go for a smart guvnor? ha unreal how some of you ollie haters just will not give up even though we`ve lost just 4 out of 15, it cracks me up tbh
                            Just liked it cracked a lot of people up when you were still singing his praises when we'd lost 6 or 7 on the spin. Opinions ain't it mate!

Comment

Just liked it cracked a lot of people up when you were still singing his praises when we'd lost 6 or 7 on the spin. Opinions ain't it mate!
                              To be fair they weren't really losses. Ollie bravely decided to experiment for runs of matches. Gotta speculate to accumulate. Now looks like that is paying dividends. Kudos to the king.

Comment

Again a load of rubbish tarbie, we was rubbish last season apart from a few good performances, but things needed sorting out and we are seeing it now, you cant go from how rubbish we was last season to a couple of games later like we are now! unless you have zero patience and expect that with ollie having no transfer money to buy better players aswell, so not too sure what you would be expecting tbh, but now we are seeing the ideas and work thats been put in, yet the ollie haters still cant let it go....

Comment

Working...
                                X