No announcement yet.

David Wheeler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All I would say is that if you play someone up front on their own then they have to be able to hold up the ball and be a handful for CB's.

Only Sylla and Smith can do this at our club IMO.

Any other player played that far forward, inclusive of Wheeler, has to be played alongside someone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
      All I would say is that if you play someone up front on their own then they have to be able to hold up the ball and be a handful for CB's.

Only Sylla and Smith can do this at our club IMO.

Any other player played that far forward, inclusive of Wheeler, has to be played alongside someone.
      Agree with that.

Personally I think Sylla should start every game if fit, particularly if we are going 1 up top. Only one of our current crop of strikers complete enough to play that solo role.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
        Personally I think Sylla should start every game if fit, particularly if we are going 1 up top. Only one of our current crop of strikers complete enough to play that solo role.
        Spot on. I like Smith but Sylla has much more of an attacking threat about him.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
          Spot on. I like Smith but Sylla has much more of an attacking threat about him.
          I reckon most of us agree on this. Does Sylla 'run about enough' though, which for our esteemed manager seems the priority in pushing you up the pecking order.

Comment

• I didnt bother to put myself through the whole game, but i know Yeni doesnt run about a lot and he got a start. (Probably runs about and beats his chest even less than Sylla.)
            Did he touch the ball at all on tuesday?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
              I didnt bother to put myself through the whole game, but i know Yeni doesnt run about a lot and he got a start. (Probably runs about and beats his chest even less than Sylla.)
              Dod he touch the ball at all on tuesday?
              He was utter pony on Tuesday mate. Honestly, if the bloke don't wanna play for us then we should get shot of him. Don't think he's a bad player, I just don't think he wants to be here.

Comment

He was utter pony on Tuesday mate. Honestly, if the bloke don't wanna play for us then we should get shot of him. Don't think he's a bad player, I just don't think he wants to be here.
                Thought it was crazy to start him as soon as the teams wereanounced mate
                Think the two teams he put out against villa and derby were the worst hes chosen since he came back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
                  Yeni doesnt run about a lot and he got a start.
                  Oh sure, the occasional one but never a regular.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                    Oh sure, the occasional one but never a regular.
                    Yeah i meant tuesday, why yeni and not sylla?
                    Baffling.
                    It was like he set up to play away against a beatable if attack from the start Villa and set up to play at home against a beatable if playing on the break Derby.

Comment

• I had to join this forum to get this point over on Wheeler

We all know our strikers are pretty rubbish we have known that for ages and it's costing us big time. Even yesterday when we were not playing that badly early on we never look like scoring because there is no quality and never anyone who might make something out of nothing. We then get frustrated and start lobbing in crosses from deep and easy meat for most defenders. The fact we have no width is again down to selections.
                      What frustrates me most are people who say Holloway can only do so little with what he has at his disposal. I say that is rubbish. Hollowways persintent picking of Mackie and Washington whatever borders on moronic, neither are instinctive goalscorers. For God sake how many games does he have to persist with the same forwards who have proved game after game after game. If Washington had one good season at Peterborough he as definitely proved he has lost it and then some!
                      When you get the sort of proof you have to wonder why the odd striker from u21 has not been given a shot. They could not have done any worse. On our other 2 regular starters Smith is nothing more than a big lump who can cause a bit chaos late on and Sylla probably our best bet but needs a run in the side but again both need crosses from wider.
                      Which brings me on to Wheeler. Someone in QPR maybe Penrice or someone else with maybe more ability than Hollowhead scouted this guy and thought this guy had real potential and maybe the answer to our goals. Enough to buy him for a small amount when we have no money. The trouble is labelling as he was described in some quarters as a winger mainly but also as a winger/striker in others. Hollowhead being old school does not have the brains or perception to consider anything else as he was told he was a winger. When we first bought him as with others we studied the YouTube including 8 in 7 and what is noticeable that nearly all the goals are central finisher poacher type goals but maybe not as the main guy right up front.
                      So when we get Wheeler he is really confident coming off a long goal scoring run. But what does our brainless manager do, he persists with Mackie and Washington game after game even when the proof and results is they have no real goal scoring instinct and pretty average to boot. So where does that leave Wheeler, on the bench game after game with his confidence disappearing. Finally he gets a game at wingback.. brilliant and when that does not work out gets left out for weeks again. Then low an behold out of the blue he gets a start in a really tough fixture away at Derby as a lone hold up striker. Again brilliant I wonder what planet Hollowhead is on sometimes. Where he gets booted by great central defender lumps with virtually no support. So that did no work so back on the sidelines.
                      My point is that while Holloway is still here we are probably unlikely to ever see him in a position he might be good at. Maybe he might be limited or will not run around like a demented animal. Maybe or maybe not he just might good at finishing which is instinctive whatever the league. Will we ever find out with Wheeler or some other ace from the under 21s with this blinkered manager in charge.

Comment

• Good post. I sometime wonder whether our manager actually is deliberatly is trying to get sacked. He really looks a that bereft of ideas.
                        QPR
                        Best team in the world
                        Sort of

Comment

• Originally posted by Phily R View Post
                          We all know our strikers are pretty rubbish we have known that for ages and it's costing us big time. Even yesterday when we were not playing that badly early on we never look like scoring because there is no quality and never anyone who might make something out of nothing. We then get frustrated and start lobbing in crosses from deep and easy meat for most defenders. The fact we have no width is again down to selections.
                          What frustrates me most are people who say Holloway can only do so little with what he has at his disposal. I say that is rubbish. Hollowways persintent picking of Mackie and Washington whatever borders on moronic, neither are instinctive goalscorers. For God sake how many games does he have to persist with the same forwards who have proved game after game after game. If Washington had one good season at Peterborough he as definitely proved he has lost it and then some!
                          When you get the sort of proof you have to wonder why the odd striker from u21 has not been given a shot. They could not have done any worse. On our other 2 regular starters Smith is nothing more than a big lump who can cause a bit chaos late on and Sylla probably our best bet but needs a run in the side but again both need crosses from wider.
                          Which brings me on to Wheeler. Someone in QPR maybe Penrice or someone else with maybe more ability than Hollowhead scouted this guy and thought this guy had real potential and maybe the answer to our goals. Enough to buy him for a small amount when we have no money. The trouble is labelling as he was described in some quarters as a winger mainly but also as a winger/striker in others. Hollowhead being old school does not have the brains or perception to consider anything else as he was told he was a winger. When we first bought him as with others we studied the YouTube including 8 in 7 and what is noticeable that nearly all the goals are central finisher poacher type goals but maybe not as the main guy right up front.
                          So when we get Wheeler he is really confident coming off a long goal scoring run. But what does our brainless manager do, he persists with Mackie and Washington game after game even when the proof and results is they have no real goal scoring instinct and pretty average to boot. So where does that leave Wheeler, on the bench game after game with his confidence disappearing. Finally he gets a game at wingback.. brilliant and when that does not work out gets left out for weeks again. Then low an behold out of the blue he gets a start in a really tough fixture away at Derby as a lone hold up striker. Again brilliant I wonder what planet Hollowhead is on sometimes. Where he gets booted by great central defender lumps with virtually no support. So that did no work so back on the sidelines.
                          My point is that while Holloway is still here we are probably unlikely to ever see him in a position he might be good at. Maybe he might be limited or will not run around like a demented animal. Maybe or maybe not he just might good at finishing which is instinctive whatever the league. Will we ever find out with Wheeler or some other ace from the under 21s with this blinkered manager in charge.
                          You'll have the rose tinteds after you by talking sense like that.

Comment

Just about sums the situation up.

Comment

• Good OP and what many of us have been saying about Wheeler since he first arrived.

He scored and created most of his goals for Exeter when played either in a 4-3-3 or in a 4-4-2 (in which he played off the main striker as a 1-1). So it would be inaccurate to describe his as a winger and that's certainly not the position he excelled in at Exeter.

Just yet another example of our esteemed manager wasting the talent he has available to him. His decision to persist with starting Washington and ignore Sylla and Wheeler yesterday being yet further evidence of this. He then goes with Smith and Washington up front but still plays with no natural width or wingers. Crazy. He started with Chair and Freeman in the wide MF areas but they never once got up the flanks and put crosses in because that's simply not their game.

We have an entire thread on Wheeler here: http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/f...-David-Wheeler

Comment

We all know our strikers are pretty rubbish we have known that for ages and it's costing us big time.
                                Reading the comments on here, little has changed in the last, say, 5 years. We have no initiate, construction or creativity in the last third. On another thread, we all pine for the return of Charlie. We had little of the above qualities in the last third even then, but we did have a striker who was able to make something out of nothing.

Worst of both worlds now.

Comment

Working...
                                X