London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnnykc View Post
    London.....some good bits some utter shite bits..... let's not get too carried away about it being some sort of utopia...

Oh, and the transport system.....https://youtu.be/YmpeYZ2Bhc8
    Not sure a single person has said it is a Utopia?
    You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
      Very strange thread with some very strange assertions! To me, London, the city I've lived in all my life (bar a few sojourns abroad) is not just a world class city, it is the preeminent city on the planet right now. The metropolitan mix has been mentioned, the fantastic public transport has been mentioned, others have slagged it off. I find I can get pretty much anywhere in this great city quickly and easily. Within 20 minutes journey (or less) from where I live I have access to some of the world's finest art galleries, museums, parks, restaurants, theatres, pubs, clubs, architecture, entertainment, markets, shops, sport of all kinds... I could go on. Furthermore, the transport in London is cheap compared to the rest of the UK (amazing perhaps, but true), and contrary to Kev's assertion, there is a wealth of excellent take away food from a breathtaking range of cultures, either in walking distance or a phone call away.

Really, it's an incredible place. That also happens to be home to the world's finest football team (when we win), the mighty Queens Park Rangers. A stone's throw from the Bush is Hammersmith riverside, with that beautiful sweep of the Thames as it arcs around Barnes on the south side, rich in History (fabulous riverside pubs like the Dove, where Charles the II and Nell Gwynne once dined), the homes of William Morris, Faraday, the place where the first telegraph once sent, houses featured in Dickens and Thackeray, beautiful walks, stunning vistas; the river sweeps on, to Kew, with its world class gardens, Richmond, with that gorgeous hill from which you can see all the way to the North downs, famously painted by Turner and others, Richmond Park with its herds of wild deer, the stunning Isabella plantation....

Then, in the other direction, headed East into smokey London Town, glorious bridges - some urbane, I grant you, some delightful, like Albert Bridge, Battersea Park, the power station, the Houses of Parliament, the Southbank, the Globe theatre, the Tate Modern..... on and on.... delight after delight, fascinating, endlessly interesting, as Samuel Johnson said: he who is tired of London is tired of life.

I just wish they hadn't insanely promoted diesel as a 'clean' fuel - the only downside to London is the pollution, which is seriously bad and needs to be sorted pronto. Apart from that, what an epic place to live.
      Beautiful

Comment

i held open a door for a young couple today in wandsworth they both walked thru and said nothing . this happens more and more to me in london . usually i challenge them as to why they can't say thank you , today i couldn't be bothered . got to say i don't really find this when i go out of london . some of the replies i've had from people range from stupid to bizarre

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
          i held open a door for a young couple today in wandsworth they both walked thru and said nothing . this happens more and more to me in london . usually i challenge them as to why they can't say thank you , today i couldn't be bothered . got to say i don't really find this when i go out of london . some of the replies i've had from people range from stupid to bizarre
          Agree with this and although hubs does make some good pts I certainly love seeing a show in the theatre's but after a full day in London I am relieved to come home. Parts of London are nice but too many sh it holes for me. What's with black bags all over the pavements and nearly into the road. For one it stinks and another its looks fu cking horrible. Too many foreigners don't respect where they live. Harsh but true and I know many think the same!
          I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post
            Agree with this and although hubs does make some good pts I certainly love seeing a show in the theatre's but after a full day in London I am relieved to come home. Parts of London are nice but too many sh it holes for me. What's with black bags all over the pavements and nearly into the road. For one it stinks and another its looks fu cking horrible. Too many foreigners don't respect where they live. Harsh but true and I know many think the same!
            They didn’t have little slits at the top and a high pitched voice did they.
            I think you’re confusing those with something else.
            “He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long”
            Will Danaher

Comment

Yes mate, this is true. Happened to me a fair bit, general ignorance and lack of manners have been on the rise for some time. We could of course descend into a moaning old geezers thread about it all, people riding their bikes on pavements, scooter riders, the rubbish and smell as Weare has pointed out, yes Johnny mate, it's far from Utopia - but then, what city is? As cities go, however, it's right up there - in my experience of a lot of world cities, on overall merit as opposed to individual aspects, it's the best.

What I love to do if I have time is visit a part of London I've never seen before. It still amazes me that even after well over 50 years of living here there are all sorts of hidden gems I've never seen. Parks, woodland, and farmland even, where you can stroll without a care, as if the city never existed, all exist within London's boundaries. There's always something new to see around a corner. I love the twisty labyrinth of central London, its secret mews, lanes and cuts so soaked in history you can almost feel the ghosts of the past as you pass by. It's hard to think of a place where there is so much to discover, and I've stayed in or visited many of the world's big cities. If you can be bothered, it's VERY hard to get bored in London. And here's the clincher for me: so much of it is free.

Comment

Yes mate, this is true. Happened to me a fair bit, general ignorance and lack of manners have been on the rise for some time. We could of course descend into a moaning old geezers thread about it all, people riding their bikes on pavements, scooter riders, the rubbish and smell as Weare has pointed out, yes Johnny mate, it's far from Utopia - but then, what city is? As cities go, however, it's right up there - in my experience of a lot of world cities, on overall merit as opposed to individual aspects, it's the best.

What I love to do if I have time is visit a part of London I've never seen before. It still amazes me that even after well over 50 years of living here there are all sorts of hidden gems I've never seen. Parks, woodland, and farmland even, where you can stroll without a care, as if the city never existed, all exist within London's boundaries. There's always something new to see around a corner. I love the twisty labyrinth of central London, its secret mews, lanes and cuts so soaked in history you can almost feel the ghosts of the past as you pass by. It's hard to think of a place where there is so much to discover, and I've stayed in or visited many of the world's big cities. If you can be bothered, it's VERY hard to get bored in London. And here's the clincher for me: so much of it is free.
                Ever been to Vancouver mate. Best city in the world and I could live there tomorrow if I could. Certainly won't in my parents life time but Canada is for me.
                I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post
                  Ever been to Vancouver mate. Best city in the world and I could live there tomorrow if I could. Certainly won't in my parents life time but Canada is for me.
                  No, I have never been to Vancouver mate, but it's somewhere I'd love to visit. A lot of people say the same as you about it. I like the fact that it's in such a beautiful setting. But its population is only 630,000 odd, compared to London's 9 million (give or take a few), so it's not a direct comparison on the world city stage; but nevertheless, clearly a great place to live - if you can live without going to QPR and all the things I love about London....

Comment

1 was in the ship in mortlake yesterday after a funeral £3.75 for half a pint of coca cola from the tap , they wonder why pubs are shutting down in london at an alarming rate

Comment

More reasons to like London - and it's free (looks amazing) : https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...idApp_Facebook

Comment

1 was in the ship in mortlake yesterday after a funeral £3.75 for half a pint of coca cola from the tap , they wonder why pubs are shutting down in london at an alarming rate
                        ####-take, had a look at their web site, £13 for fish and chips, jeez. Less salubrious area granted, but chatting to my mate and he can get a pint of Fosters for £3.10 in Hayes
                        I must away now, I can no longer tarry
                        This morning's tempest I have to cross
                        I must be guided without a stumble
                        Into the arms I love the most

Comment

More reasons to like London - and it's free (looks amazing) : https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...idApp_Facebook
                          That got me thinking about another article in the guardian today about how t!ts are evolving, thus proving the Darwin doubters wrong.
                          Absolutely love the idea that they are improving year on year, can only be a good thing for mankind.

It’s all to do with their beaks becoming longer apparently, makes it easier to access bird feeders.
                          Will Danaher

Comment

Originally posted by Itsonlyagame View Post
                            That got me thinking about another article in the guardian today about how t!ts are evolving, thus proving the Darwin doubters wrong.
                            Absolutely love the idea that they are improving year on year, can only be a good thing for mankind.

It’s all to do with their beaks becoming longer apparently, makes it easier to access bird feeders.
                            Better than any of the jokes you posted mate and it's true!

Comment

Better than any of the jokes you posted mate and it's true!
                              Oi you !
                              Will Danaher

Comment

seems like london is being totally priced out for the working classes.

high property prices, shop rentals, congestion charge and now the toxic tax.

seems like the rich want london for themselves.
                                nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Working...
                                X