• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Rabbit by Tom Clancy
    Minds Are Like Parachutes.
    Work Best When Open...
    @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

• Actually trying to get through Harry's biography. Bought for me ages ago but only just getting in to it. Has a problem with Wet Spam over Bobby M
      I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

• After finding out what a scummy Lieing toad he is I would take it as a piece of fiction.

Comment

• Just finished Lord of the Rings, again. Fantastic work.

In the meantime I also read The Code Book (Simon Singh) which is a very interesting history of cryptography and starts of with a description of how Mary Queen of Scots was implicated in a plot to assassinate Elizabeth I after her encrypted messages were deciphered, and of course then beheaded.

Just finishing up Battan - The March of Death (Stanley L. Falk), which is gruesome.

And starting on Mr. Midshipman Hornblower (C.S. Forester).

There seems to be a common theme...
          Last edited by dsqpr; 07-04-2015, 11:11 PM.
          'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shania View Post
            I read a novel by R.L. Ellory; "A quiet belief in angels"

I do also read "Bury my heart at wounded knee" . The story of the native americans never stops to "interest" me.

What are you lot reading?
            Did you read "Empire of the Summer Moon" (S.C. Gwynne) Shania? It is a very objective and scholarly yet interesting and engaging narrative on the Comanche tribe. One of the key points made was that the white man lumped all the "indians" together but that was totally wrong as there were many different tribes with totally different characteristics and dispositions (it was a bit like assuming the French and the English are the same). Thus punitive "revenge" attacks on the Indians were often against tribes who had nothing whatsoever to do with the atrocities being avenged!

I highly recommend it. It is not for the faint of heart though - he tells the real story without kid gloves. They really were savages, in the truest sense of the word. After reading it you will be thankful you were never captured by the Indians!

Edit: Here is an Indian story for you: Eaten by Red Ants - an article from The Barrier Miner newspaper, Tuesday, September 11th, 1900.
            http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/44264067
            Last edited by dsqpr; 08-04-2015, 03:18 AM.
            'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

• Dominion by C.J. Samson. Great read

Comment

• Reading Steve Job's bio. Bit of a cry baby tbh

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeems View Post
                  Reading Steve Job's bio. Bit of a cry baby tbh
                  Also a slight personal hygiene problem aswell
                  Minds Are Like Parachutes.
                  Work Best When Open...
                  @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraggy View Post
                    Also a slight personal hygiene problem aswell
                    There was this aura that surrounded him, granted I'm only half way through the book but I'm not particularly impressed by him as a person at the mo. Can't fault his drive & ambition though.

Comment

• Originally posted by dsqpr View Post
                      Did you read "Empire of the Summer Moon" (S.C. Gwynne) Shania? It is a very objective and scholarly yet interesting and engaging narrative on the Comanche tribe. One of the key points made was that the white man lumped all the "indians" together but that was totally wrong as there were many different tribes with totally different characteristics and dispositions (it was a bit like assuming the French and the English are the same). Thus punitive "revenge" attacks on the Indians were often against tribes who had nothing whatsoever to do with the atrocities being avenged!

I highly recommend it. It is not for the faint of heart though - he tells the real story without kid gloves. They really were savages, in the truest sense of the word. After reading it you will be thankful you were never captured by the Indians!

Edit: Here is an Indian story for you: Eaten by Red Ants - an article from The Barrier Miner newspaper, Tuesday, September 11th, 1900.
                      http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/44264067
                      Ok, I will your suggestions a try!! Thanks! Nah, not sure this last article is true though..ouch(:
                      Last edited by Shania; 10-04-2015, 06:59 PM.
                      QPR
                      Best team in the world
                      Sort of

Comment

• Vroom by the Sea ,by Peter Moore about a fella travelling round Italy on a Vespa Rally 200 .
                        Rangers,Scooters ,Tunes and Trainers

Comment

• Originally posted by Shania View Post
                          Ok, I will your suggestions a try!! Thanks! Nah, not sure this last article is true though..ouch(:
                          Pretty sure the "Eaten by Red Ants" article is true Shania. They even have a copy of the newspaper where it was printed. If you read the other book I recommended you will see that atrocities such as these were nothing out of the ordinary for the Indians - in fact, they made a way of life of finding the most painful way of torturing a person to death.

Comment

• What are we all reading these days?

The English author, Kazuo Ishiguro, is this years winner of the Nobelprice of Literature. He is not excatly a controversial winner. At least not compared with Bob Dylan, who won the very same price last year.
                            Kazuo Ishiguro was chosen haead of on paper stronger candidates like Hari Murakama(Kafka on the shore and Norwegian Wood ie. ) and Margareth Atwood(The Handmaids tale ie.)

The last English author won the Nobelprice was Doris Lessing.

Ok, back on topic; Atm, I am Reading the Blood Meridian by Cormac MacCarthy.

Over to you.....fellow QPRIANS.
                            QPR
                            Best team in the world
                            Sort of

Comment

• Read Blood Meridian a few years ago. The only book I've ready by Cormac McCarthy I just couldn't get on with. I found it totally over the top.

Currently I'm reading Submission by Michel Houllebecq. Very clever, really nicely written - super current - set in the near future about what happens when a Muslim party wins the election in France. Think a lot of people on here might enjoy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hubble View Post

Currently I'm reading Submission by Michel Houllebecq. Very clever, really nicely written - super current - set in the near future about what happens when a Muslim party wins the election in France. Think a lot of people on here might enjoy.
                                on this sort of thing ,except this is non fiction ,ive just read " Nothing to do with islam " by Peter Townsend , scary reading to be honest , and since reading it ive done a bit more research on the subject , and thats even scarier
                                Rangers,Scooters ,Tunes and Trainers

Comment

Working...
                                X