Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011
Results 151 to 161 of 161

Thread: Book recommendations

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Northolt
    Posts
    38,887
    Blog Entries
    182

  2. #152

    Default

    Confederates (Thomas Keneally)
    You will die in Singapore (a true life account of a soldiers escape from the Japanese army)
    I must away now, I can no longer tarry
    This morning's tempest I have to cross
    I must be guided without a stumble
    Into the arms I love the most

  3. #153

    Default

    Originally Posted by MYU
    Did any of you buy Tony's book, any good?
    It's on my Christmas list

    On latest read's I've just re-read Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre. A witty satire
    #standuptocancer
    #inyourfacecancer

  4. #154

    Default

    Originally Posted by MYU
    Did any of you buy Tony's book, any good?
    Could this site donate a copy as a chrimbo prezzie to hitman.
    For all his well thought through, impartial analysis when when comes to all things ‘uncle’
    He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long

  5. #155

    Default

    Originally Posted by Bluehoop
    It's on my Christmas list

    On latest read's I've just re-read Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre. A witty satire
    That's on my bookshelf Blue. Great book

  6. #156

    Default

    I have bought the book, Red Notice by Bill Browder. I look forward to reading it.
    QPR
    Best team in the world
    Sort of

  7. Default

    James and the giant peach is a must read
    I played sunday league football today.

    Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

    I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

    We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

  8. #158

    Default

    Originally Posted by Hubble
    Read Blood Meridian a few years ago. The only book I've ready by Cormac McCarthy I just couldn't get on with. I found it totally over the top.

    Currently I'm reading Submission by Michel Houllebecq. Very clever, really nicely written - super current - set in the near future about what happens when a Muslim party wins the election in France. Think a lot of people on here might enjoy.
    I have "Submission" on my Bookshelf and might give it a go although I`m very tired of it`s theme at the moment. On to The Blood Meridian, I did eventually manage to finish it . But like you imply; It was an extremly emotionally hard book to read. Far too violent.. I`m not sure how his other novels are, but The Road and No Country For Old Men are extremly highly rated so maybe I should give one of them a try.
    QPR
    Best team in the world
    Sort of

  9. #159

    Default

    Originally Posted by Shania
    I have "Submission" on my Bookshelf and might give it a go although I`m very tired of it`s theme at the moment. On to The Blood Meridian, I did eventually manage to finish it . But like you imply; It was an extremly emotionally hard book to read. Far too violent.. I`m not sure how his other novels are, but The Road and No Country For Old Men are extremly highly rated so maybe I should give one of them a try.
    That's also violent. It's a great film too, directed by Coen Brothers with and Javier Barden superb as the villain. It swept the Oscars that year.

  10. #160

    Default

    "Rude" by Katie Hopkins.
    Was laughing out loud on the train and in the C&S the other night reading chapter 2.

    *Note*
    Probably best avoided if you are a lefty liberal snowflake, easily offended, or have no sense of humour.

  11. #161

    Default

    Originally Posted by Stanley
    That's also violent. It's a great film too, directed by Coen Brothers with and Javier Barden superb as the villain. It swept the Oscars that year.
    That`s true, I would have a look at it. A Coen Brothers film usually bodes well. Thanks for your recommendation.
    QPR
    Best team in the world
    Sort of

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •