Serious stuff happening in Spain right now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious stuff happening in Spain right now

Where the Spanish (Madrid) government is trying to suppress Catalonian independence and prevent them having an independence referendum.

They've tried to send 4,000 military police to the region to take control, but the Catalans have prevented them from being able to dock in their ports. This is a genuine independence struggle (which I support - why wouldn't any of us who believe in freedom not support that?), that is threatening to turn very nasty. 80 years ago (or so) Spain descended into civil war, followed by years of a repressive Franco dictatorship.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...-boats-blocked

Even the Times is calling this 'repression': http://www.lavanguardia.com/politica...catalunya.html

Full story with background: https://mishtalk.com/2017/09/22/defi...es-cat-domain/

And meanwhile the 'radical right' AfD party surges to third place in the German elections. Things continue to stir up in Europe as the EU dream starts to fall apart at the seams.
    Last edited by Hubble; 25-09-2017, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
      And meanwhile the 'radical right' AfD party surges to third place in the German elections. Things continue to stir up in Europe as the EU dream starts to fall apart at the seams.
      when you got multi-millionaires like Blair, Mandelson, Clegg calling anyone who voted Out an idiot, while Brits struggle to find jobs in the building trade and even here in Devon factories are virtually all Polish. It's not surprising many of us want out too
      I must away now, I can no longer tarry
      This morning's tempest I have to cross
      I must be guided without a stumble
      Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
        You sound a bit like a daily mail headline there Hubs..... The German policy on immigration was always going to invoke a little fascist kick back.....It will be business as usual in Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnykc View Post
          You sound a bit like a daily mail headline there Hubs..... The German policy on immigration was always going to invoke a little fascist kick back.....It will be business as usual in Europe.
          Haha, I get your point. But...... I stand by what I said. L Pen was only defeated by parachuting in puppy-kissing pin-up Macron to mop up the waverers and turn things away from a decisive anti-EU vote in France. Yes, in Germany there is a big swing against their immigration policy, but I also think it's a sign that the EU project is losing its gloss, even for the Germans, who have benefitted more from it than anyone else. In Spain, Italy, Portugal and Greece there are already well-documented anti-EU movements, mainly because people perceive they have been shafted by the EU and their economies stalled by being forced into the Euro straitjacket. Greece is being bled dry by the EU, a punitive process that does not exactly instil one with feeling for the 'community' aspect of the European community.

Wider seismic economic shocks continue to shake the EU's foundations, as the euro and the European banking system teeters on the edge of collapse. Merkel and the ECB have just about managed to hold it all together with the dark arts of quantitative easing and huge immigration programmes to boost the economy, but countries like Italy have had to be bailed out so many times it's a joke. This kind of economics is all short-term bandaid - it is not sustainable.

Comment

IT system shut down by Spain to prevent voting by the Catalonians

Comment

now the Spanish police brutally attacking innocent citizens. Are the Spanish stirring up a hornets nest? With frightening consequences

Comment

The Vice President of the European Parliament has described yesterday's events in Catalonia as a "coup against Europe". If anyone thinks the EU is on the side of the people they really need to let that sink in.

What is happening in Catalonia - the Spanish government attempting through military force to prevent the Independence vote from taking place - is nothing short of fascist. And this is the response from the EU. The same EU whose own treaty, in article 7, promises "suspension of any member state that uses military force against its own population."

Comment

Barcelona fans banned from their game in Madrid.

Comment

some worrying footage from the demonstration to keep Catalonia in Spanish control. Some looked worse for wear under the influence of the grog, others giving the nazi salute

Comment

Working...
                    X