Defensive statues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
    I know you really are a very hard taskmaster BUT saying a side didnt deserve at least a point after going ahead twice in an away game they lost by one late goal is being very very harsh.
    Was happy with effort and that we gave them a game. Would have been very easy to have gone there and been given one hell of a beating but made them work.

Comment

Originally posted by Martinmalta View Post
      Mistakes happen all the time in football. However, four defenders looking on without anyone trying to close down their scorer is pure lack of concentration and instructions as well. I think defenders should be instructed who to mark when under pressure. As it looks, no one knew who to mark, so they left the job to each other!
      Spot on fella

Comment

We miss Grant Hall even for just his positional play at the back and I think Onuhua being out will hurt us big time as that was the pace needed in the centre of the defence. Granted we have a bit of a mish mash of a defence at present but they should all understand basic defensive duties like marking and closing a man down in the penalty area.

Comment

Originally posted by peterlund.dk View Post
          I do get that the defense didn't look sharp in situations against M'Boro last week. But I also think that we as fans need a sense of realism...

The back three over the weekend consisted of 0 of our intended starters at CB. 2 of the back three quite young, less than 35 Championship matches for QPR between the three combined, 1st time they ever played a back three together in a competitive match, missing Scowen, our stand-out DM this season so far, playing against a relegated Prem team with a €20 mio. attack force.

I personally don't think that warrants the comment "Do we have a defensive coach and if so does he know how to coach the so called defenders?". I think it's to be expected, that defensive blunders and errors will be made by that back 3, and M'Boro was a good enough team with good enough players to take advantage.

But to answer your question(s):
          Yes, we have a defensive coach.
          Yes, I assume that he knows how to coach our defenders (I can only assume, as I'm not present at their training sessions).

Let's hope our back-up defenders will get more time this week to train together, build up confidence and cohesiveness before our match against Burton - it should be realistic to expect less than 3 goals against in that match. And with some luck, we might even have one of all our injured starters back soon?

Edit: Not to mention - 2 of the back 3 are played out of position!
          really ! they're all professional footballers and are paid as such , it doesn't matter if we were playing real madrid . assombalonga ran through unchallenged to score the winner . all those defenders have been playing football long enough to know he should of been marked / picked up . they have all week to train and watch videos of m'boro . if we get beaten by a good goal it's easy to swallow but schoolboy defending is another thing

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
            It appears to have escaped some people's attention that we are currently experiencing an injury crisis, particularly in defence with arguably our FIVE best defenders all out of action. Is it really any great surprise that sloppy goals will be conceded as a result, when you have no settled back line and enforced changes from week to week?

Honestly where is the balanced view in threads like this?
            I agree with stanley here entirely

Comment

I know you really are a very hard taskmaster BUT saying a side didnt deserve at least a point after going ahead twice in an away game they lost by one late goal is being very very harsh.
              Is the 60th minute regarded as a "late goal" now ?

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel R's View Post
                Is the 60th minute regarded as a "late goal" now ?
                They are all late when you're fighting for your life in a mini league

Comment

They are all late when you're fighting for your life in a mini league
                  Games against top 6 teams like Boro will always be difficult for us to get points,tbf we came close on Saturday and against Cardiff,but our biggest ,most important games will be against the likes of ipswich (we won),Millwall (drew) and next up Burton,especifically our home games against these teams,these are the games we need to win. NO,we won't be "100% relegated "as I'm sure you'll sarcastically post( again!!) should we fail to win but it just makes it more difficult for us later in the league if we don't.

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
                    really ! they're all professional footballers and are paid as such , it doesn't matter if we were playing real madrid . assombalonga ran through unchallenged to score the winner . all those defenders have been playing football long enough to know he should of been marked / picked up . they have all week to train and watch videos of m'boro . if we get beaten by a good goal it's easy to swallow but schoolboy defending is another thing
                    They are back-up defenders (2 of them played out of position) at a Championship relegation candidate (according to some). So mistakes will happen, and they will happen a lot more frequently than at big clubs in big leagues with the best defenders trained by the best defensive coaches. But interestingly enough, the very best defenders at the very best clubs also make marking mistakes and have mental lapses sometimes... even thought I'm quite sure they also "have all week to train and watch videos".
                    QPR since 1993
                    WATRB since 2015
                    First QPR game hopefully in 2017

Comment

Not a Furlong fan, don't think he's up to it at this level, his positional sense is non existent,I know we have injuries but basic defending was missing not picking up runners also on the 3rd goal they all stopped expecting the ball to run out and at least 4 of them all ball watching,

Comment

Haha old furtive would of struggled with that tiny bit of praise he gave there knowing its all ollies work that we`re starting to do well!
                        http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Originally posted by peterlund.dk View Post
                          They are back-up defenders (2 of them played out of position) at a Championship relegation candidate (according to some). So mistakes will happen, and they will happen a lot more frequently than at big clubs in big leagues with the best defenders trained by the best defensive coaches. But interestingly enough, the very best defenders at the very best clubs also make marking mistakes and have mental lapses sometimes... even thought I'm quite sure they also "have all week to train and watch videos".
                          why not state the obvious ,and why are you defending poor defending

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
                            why not state the obvious ,and why are you defending poor defending
                            I'm not defending poor defending, I am being a realist. In fact, my very first statement on this particular thread was "I do get that the defense didn't look sharp in situations against M'Boro last week". So I acknowledge that there was bad defending - I'm just offering context and a bit of common sense.
                            QPR since 1993
                            WATRB since 2015
                            First QPR game hopefully in 2017

Comment

Would say furlong should've done more to stop the cross and Robinson should have followed assombalonga as he was the main threat BUT these are either 2nd string defenders or playing out of position. Not sure if that's the defensive coach's fault.
                              Last edited by Hove Ranger; 19-09-2017, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hove Ranger View Post
                                Would say furlong should've done more to stop the cross and Robinson should have followed assombalonga as he was the main threat BUT these are either 2nd string defenders or playing out of position. Not sure if that's the defensive coach's fault.
                                Or furlong had believed he had done enough when the ball went out of play.

Comment

Working...
                                X