No announcement yet.

Massimo Luongo is the best midfielder in the championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't think anyone disputes that the midfield balance is excellent assuming they are all present and correct.

We have no depth whatsoever as a squad hence Burton.

Comment

• Nas I like Luongo and think he is a player with 2 good feet but lets be honest the 3 as a 3 have good balance anyone of the 3 missing and we are weaker as shown on saturday. What I would say is he is the only player in the midfield who passes the ball with both feet early.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1973 ranger View Post
        Nas I like Luongo and think he is a player with 2 good feet but lets be honest the 3 as a 3 have good balance anyone of the 3 missing and we are weaker as shown on saturday. What I would say is he is the only player in the midfield who passes the ball with both feet early.
        A fair point as I do think they all contribute massively to the phases of the midfield, I just think Luongo has the biggest contribution of the lot, but 100% agree that any of them being out is a huge loss.
        "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

• Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
          I wouldn't expect you to agree seeing as career on this site is to complain. Let me give you an example.

David Silva has got over 10 league assists in just two season since joining Man City, yet he's still considered one of the best midfielders in the league. Why? Because he plays the second assist, defined by opta as:

A pass/cross that is instrumental in creating a goal-scoring opportunity, for example a corner or free-kick to a player who then assists an attempt, a chance-creating through ball or cross into a dangerous position.

Now, I'm inclined to side with the fact that opta define it as a valuable measurable asset, as opposed to siding with someone on a website who isn't my biggest fan.

The second assist is vital and it's clear from the Burton game. Prior to the match, Freeman had played 2 key passes a game on average. Against Burton? None, reason being of course no one was giving him the ball in positions where he can create chances. People talk about how much Scowen gives the other two freedom to attack, I think this more than anything proves that Luongo is the teeth of our midfield and without him in the side, we're toothless going forward (comparably)
          What utter rubbish I assisted I threw the ball back for a corner do I appear

Comment

• Originally posted by dave58 View Post
            Anyway, is he going to be fit for tonight?

Comment

• Originally posted by THE CAT View Post
              Anyway, is he going to be fit for tonight?
              Good point, anyone seen any news?

Comment

• Originally posted by dave58 View Post
                That's a 3rd assist, not a 2nd assist mate. Far less important!

Comment

David Silva has got over 10 league assists in just two season since joining Man City
                  Actually he's got over 10 in 4 seasons at City and bang on 10 once.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                    But can David Silva turn water into wine? If not then Luongo is better!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tarbie View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by Tarbie View Post

Silva's career honours are nothing compared to Luongo's air miles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                          well no, in the league he's only got over 10 in two seasons... add in Champions league and yes, he's got more. 2011/12 he got 15 in the league; 2015/16 he got 11 in the league...
                          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

well no, in the league he's only got over 10 in two seasons... add in Champions league and yes, he's got more. 2011/12 he got 15 in the league; 2015/16 he got 11 in the league...
                            Not according to Transfermrkt....

Comment

• Come on lets leave out the handbags. Luongo is playing great for us and looks a class player. A million miles off David Silva though, who is one of the best midfielders on the planet. FACT.

Comment

• Originally posted by bakes8 View Post
                                Come on lets leave out the handbags. Luongo is playing great for us and looks a class player. A million miles off David Silva though, who is one of the best midfielders on the planet. FACT.
                                Why do people think saying a player's name immediately means I'm suggesting our boy is as good as him? I swear this has happened so many times, with the iniesta, silva, etc things. you can play a similar way and not be as good as someone else but still be compared to them.

Luongo is not as good as Silva, but both of them are players who when they are on the pitch, have a strong influence on the team's ability to score. No, it may not be in assists or goals (at least as much as they should be assisting or scoring) but the whole team looks more capable of scoring when they're on the pitch because they are the players who move the ball into dangerous positions.

At Man City, De Bruyne is getting the plaudits while Silva gets respect. Here, Freeman is getting the plaudits (deserved plaudits), Luongo is earning the fans' respect and I hope people end the season realising how much better we are with him, as was seen against Burton.

Comment

Working...
                                X