Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does 1 mistake always seem to cost us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does 1 mistake always seem to cost us?

According to BBC stats yesterday we had 21 shots, 8 on target and yet only scored 2. Thought we were good yesterday apart from the one time in the game when we switched off and didnt press the ball, and Ipswich score. Is it me or does this seem to happen to us alot? Why do other sides seem so much more clinical in front of goal?

Originally posted by Greg1882
    Have you looked at everyone else's stats then to suggest they are more clinical in front of goal?
    That's my job... and here we go.

First lets look just at shots to goals.

So who is the most clinical side in the league in this sense? Ipswich Town, with 5.2 shots per goal. QPR sit 7th with 8.75 shots per goal. Who's bottom? Preston and Birmingham with 26.67 shots per goal.

Now onto shots on target per goal.

Top of the table here is once again Ipswich with 1.5 Shots on target per goal. QPR sit 9th here with 3.125 shots on target per goal and bottom of the table is Preston with 8 shots on target per goal.

Just as an add on, which clubs have the best shots per shots on target?

Cardiff are top of this list with 2.46 shots per shots on target while QPR sit at 5th with 2.8 shots per shot on target. Bottom of the table is Birmingham with 4.2 shots per shot on target.

So, overall? We're not bad at this whole shooting thing compared to the rest of the league.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
      That's my job... and here we go.

First lets look just at shots to goals.

So who is the most clinical side in the league in this sense? Ipswich Town, with 5.2 shots per goal. QPR sit 7th with 8.75 shots per goal. Who's bottom? Preston and Birmingham with 26.67 shots per goal.

Now onto shots on target per goal.

Top of the table here is once again Ipswich with 1.5 Shots on target per goal. QPR sit 9th here with 3.125 shots on target per goal and bottom of the table is Preston with 8 shots on target per goal.

Just as an add on, which clubs have the best shots per shots on target?

Cardiff are top of this list with 2.46 shots per shots on target while QPR sit at 5th with 2.8 shots per shot on target. Bottom of the table is Birmingham with 4.2 shots per shot on target.

So, overall? We're not bad at this whole shooting thing compared to the rest of the league.
      Was really asking why one mistake always seems to cost us a goal but not our opponents.

Comment

A while ago, Olli himself pointed out that we still need to work on our concentration. Not sure, but I think he mentioned our lack of cutting edge in front of goal aswell. Regarding two of Our strikers; Washington is not yet the finished article in terms of goals scored, and "poor" Sylla seems to have a problematic relationship with Olli? Hence the lack of gametime.
        Last edited by Shania; 10-09-2017, 02:33 PM.
        QPR
        Best team in the world
        Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by guy.dunstan View Post
          Was really asking why one mistake always seems to cost us a goal but not our opponents.
          I mean, the question at the end was "Why do other sides seem so much more clinical in front of goal?"

I was just answering that. The reason a mistake always seems to cost us a goal is because I genuinely believe there are very few other ways opposition can score against us. We rarely get outplayed so teams don't score like that and we end up only conceding from mistakes, which just makes it look a lot worse than it actually is.
          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

One answer, is that all teams make mistakes and they don't all lead to goals. Also the fact that some people and tv pundits alike, draw attention to incidents that aren't mistakes at all.

Take last week's motd. A guy smashes in a shot from 2-3 yards and because it went under Hart's armpit, it's a mistake because the pundits are so stupid and think anything in arm's range should be stopped.

You all know that there are times all a gk can do is spread himself as large as possible and hope for the best. These so called professional summarisers should stick to what they see and not speculate on anything, most of them know f all. They fall back on lazy journalism cliches because someone has to be at fault so let's find someone, we must have a scapegoat.
            Last edited by Olly; 10-09-2017, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Tbf I think Cardiff the other week had far better stats than us but the game only finished 2-1 and if I remember correctly Hull had more shots and more shots on target than us and we won, so I guess it's all swings and roundabouts. Just seems we get punished more than others, but I don't think it's the case (as borne out by Nas' stats)

Comment

Originally posted by bakes8 View Post
                Tbf I think Cardiff the other week had far better stats than us but the game only finished 2-1 and if I remember correctly Hull had more shots and more shots on target than us and we won, so I guess it's all swings and roundabouts. Just seems we get punished more than others, but I don't think it's the case (as borne out by Nas' stats)
                Don't come on here spouting common sense!...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping Giants View Post
                  Don't come on here spouting common sense!...lol
                  I wont do it again.

Comment

I thought for a minute this was another Nedum bashing thread.

Comment

Working...
                    X