Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wolves made 11 changes.
    We only made 10.

Oh and Wolves beat a prem side away from home with their 11 changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
      Wolves made 11 changes.
      We only made 10.

Oh and Wolves beat a prem side away from home with their 11 changes.
      See, I don't see the changes to the team as the main issue. Of course it doesn't help, but our poor cup form over the years runs deeper than that. For me, the issue is that the club from top to bottom just don't take the League Cup that seriously and prioritise it far lower than the league.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
        See, I don't see the changes to the team as the main issue. Of course it doesn't help, but our poor cup form over the years runs deeper than that. For me, the issue is that the club from top to bottom just don't take the League Cup that seriously and prioritise it far lower than the league.
        Yeah but can you see these changes doing anything for Saturday's game ? Do you think they will play any better than they have been ? Can you honestly see the side benefit from it? But more importantly does anybody believe that Ollie really believe it will make any difference

Comment

Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post
          Yeah but can you see these changes doing anything for Saturday's game ? Do you think they will play any better than they have been ? Can you honestly see the side benefit from it? But more importantly does anybody believe that Ollie really believe it will make any difference
          League cup games can potentially go to extra time and penalties without a replay mate. Had we have played for 120 or even 130 minutes on Tuesday night with the same first team we wanted to select on Saturday then of course it would make a difference.

Also, players get injured. Remember MK Dons in the cup a few years back? I'd have much sooner picked the U23's and lost that one 4-1 than see Ale Faurlin stretchered off with a cruciate injury.

Comment

League cup games can potentially go to extra time and penalties without a replay mate. Had we have played for 120 or even 130 minutes on Tuesday night with the same first team we wanted to select on Saturday then of course it would make a difference.

Also, players get injured. Remember MK Dons in the cup a few years back? I'd have much sooner picked the U23's and lost that one 4-1 than see Ale Faurlin stretchered off with a cruciate injury.
            Nah not avin that buddie nobody would knock him or the club if that situation arose and he sent out all his subs for extra time or just flung the game in extra time like they did from the start , of course you rest vulnerable players like but cmon 10 changes !!
            Last edited by dogsrrs; 24-08-2017, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Players get injured in league games to Tarbs and in training

We won't be training at this rate in case someone goes over an ankle. Football is about winning and part and parcel of that is injuries. If player gets injured it's life get on with it.

One of rested players could pull up straight away Saturday making mockery of resting. These players are played plenty of money to turn up for what two hours four days a week and run around for 90mins on a Saturday so let's make them earn it

Comment

I agree with all of that.

But you can't deny that we have looked pretty good in the league so far this season. Way better than relegation fodder in my opinion!
                Yeah it's been a good start, I hope it continues in the league obviously. Scowen is by far the shrewdest signing we've made in a while - he has made all the difference so far to this side IMO.
                Last edited by West London is Rss; 24-08-2017, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post

We won't be training at this rate in case someone goes over an ankle. Football is about winning and part and parcel of that is injuries. If player gets injured it's life get on with it.

One of rested players could pull up straight away Saturday making mockery of resting. These players are played plenty of money to turn up for what two hours four days a week and run around for 90mins on a Saturday so let's make them earn it
                  Well yeah, but all I'm saying is if the club doesn't care about the League Cup, why take the risk?

Instead, use it as an exercise to see how good your 2nd string is in a (supposedly) competitive game.

I give Ollie a lot of stick for many things. Tuesday night, I honestly don't care too much about. And I certainly don't blame the manager. If we are gonna dig someone out, it should be the 7 or 8 lads playing who never put a shift in!

Comment

Well yeah, but all I'm saying is if the club doesn't care about the League Cup, why take the risk?

Instead, use it as an exercise to see how good your 2nd string is in a (supposedly) competitive game.

I give Ollie a lot of stick for many things. Tuesday night, I honestly don't care too much about. And I certainly don't blame the manager. If we are gonna dig someone out, it should be the 7 or 8 lads playing who never put a shift in!
                    It's football that is at fault we've said fark knows how many times all clubs do it , the big boys with a good second string field them then if they get to the quarter finals it then becomes a great competition and they field their big boys cos they can smell a big Wembley pay day , but I genuinely believe that doesn't apply to us and smaller clubs we should try to go as far as we can in the cup competitions and if championship club can do it at the expense of the big boy complacency so much the better

Comment

• Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post
                      It's football that is at fault we've said fark knows how many times all clubs do it , the big boys with a good second string field them then if they get to the quarter finals it then becomes a great competition and they field their big boys cos they can smell a big Wembley pay day , but I genuinely believe that doesn't apply to us and smaller clubs we should try to go as far as we can in the cup competitions and if championship club can do it at the expense of the big boy complacency so much the better
                      And clubs will follow that ethos mate. Was it Bradford who got to the semi's by fielding a full strength side in the League Cup a few years back? For me, I just don't feel it's important. If we missed out on play-offs or even worse, were relegated by a point because we had to rest players later in the season due to too many games, I'd be fuming!

The answer for me is to cut it back to 1 cup or make the League Cup an U23 competition with the ability to field 2 or 3 older player (just like the Olympic football). All other leagues in Europe with the exception of Scotland only have 1 domestic cup competition!
                      Last edited by Tarbie; 24-08-2017, 04:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tarbie View Post

I agree with you actually I am not majorly angry at Ollie for changing entire side as in fairness to him every side is doing it but what I would pick him up on is if you are going to change pick the right players so we're competitive!!!! Choosing Chair and Manning as CM pairing when their inexperienced was simply madness. On top of that whatever side you put out needs to be prepared and ready we were neither of those attributes on Tuesday that was eleven players sent out to have a kick about there was no structure or game plan. If that's our professionalism towards the game and it really is a 'I don't give a monkeys' as quoted by the boss don't encourage fans to attend nor take their money and don't have the comms team and management bigging game up in build up as that's morally wrong

Comment

• Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
                          And clubs will follow that ethos mate. Was it Bradford who got to the semi's by fielding a full strength side in the League Cup a few years back? For me, I just don't feel it's important. If we missed out on play-offs or even worse, were relegated by a point because we had to rest players later in the season due to too many games, I'd be fuming!

The answer for me is to cut it back to 1 cup or make the League Cup an U23 competition with the ability to filed 2 or 3 older player (just like the Olympic football). All other leagues in Europe with the exception of Scotland only have 1 domestic cup competition!
                          I understand your point but the league cup wasn't always a crap competition it's the big boys that started the devaluation of it , I think it's the devalued comp that doesn't appeal to most , but I certainly do agree with either do away with it or your other point of a under 23s cup in other words football should stop taking the plss as it seems it only wants it from the quarter finals onward

Comment

• Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                            I agree with you actually I am not majorly angry at Ollie for changing entire side as in fairness to him every side is doing it but what I would pick him up on is if you are going to change pick the right players so we're competitive!!!! Choosing Chair and Manning as CM pairing when their inexperienced was simply madness. On top of that whatever side you put out needs to be prepared and ready we were neither of those attributes on Tuesday that was eleven players sent out to have a kick about there was no structure or game plan. If that's our professionalism towards the game and it really is a 'I don't give a monkeys' as quoted by the boss don't encourage fans to attend nor take their money and don't have the comms team and management bigging game up in build up as that's morally wrong
                            Agree mate. Call it what it is and offer tickets for a fiver.

Comment

• Originally posted by West Acton View Post

I love it when people make the excuse for changes in the cup as protecting players from getting injured. what utter nonsense, as you say, they get injured in league games as well as training.

Comment

Working...
                              X