Ollies working his magic.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ginger Ninja View Post
    In all seriousness neither did I Rebel. And my mind has also not changed. It's a long old season.
    I will do a thread on our "mini" involving about 8-9 teams ,including the league leaders Ipswich ,those 12 points will certainly help them come the end of the season, but Burton bristol Birmingham Bolton forest Millwall Barnsley spring to mind
    Last edited by Rebel R's; 20-08-2017, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Very impressed by plenty of performances and I think Holloway has done a very good job, only issue is the insistence on mackie and Washington up front as we are getting no aerial threat with that despite all the running they do and no finishing quality at the moment (I get people say Washington's is a confidence thing but playing him alongside mackie isn't helping a thing).

The subs yesterday were perfect but Sylla could have started and done the exact same thing he did and made better use of our width than we did in the first half. Other than that, mighty impressed by Mr. Holloway and Bircham.
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel R's View Post
        I will do a thread on our "mini" involving about 8-9 teams ,including the league leaders Ipswich ,those 12 points will certainly help them come the end of the season, but Burton bristol Birmingham Bolton forest Millwall Barnsley spring to mind
        I reckon Forest could be in for a much improved season, I'd stick Sheffield United in there, they look weak as hell. My serious prediction was 16th or 17th and I still think that, would be very happy with a place above 16th.
        Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
        Pawel Wszolek - 6
        Luke Freeman - 6
        Matt Smith - 6
        Ebere Eze - 4
        Joel Lynch - 3
        Tomer Hemed - 3
        Toni Leistner - 2
        Massimo Luongo- 2
        Angel Rangel - 2
        Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
        Geoff Cameron - 1
        Aramide Oteh - 1
        Jake Bidwell - 1
        Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
          Not 100% yet Steve. Will let you know though!
          Send me a FB message mate when it's confirmed, safe travels bud.

Comment

Doing better than I expected, so far, but we have a reasonable squad so team not doing better than they should be just Ollie. Still not convinced. Ask me after ten games!

Reading we should expect to beat at home. Did it well though.
            Northampton pretty woeful but got away with it.
            Sheff Wed decent point.
            Norwich disappointing but not dire.
            Hull - see Reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Cjskinz View Post
              Don't see how you can say Ollie tactically inept.

First tenure pretty irrelevant as it was 10 years ago under different circumstances. He's also spent A LOT of time studying championship teams.

Newcastle and Reading last season (and losing by 1 goal a lot of the time or deserving the win but still losing should give you confidence).

I think this summer has done the team a world of good and at the moment it looks like teams have to work out how to play against us, not the other way round.

Saying that, football always ends in tears but just trying not to think about that!
              See I think he is pretty terrible tactically mate.

What Ollie does seem to have a knack for is instilling some team spirit into a group of players, and getting them punching above their weight. He's done it a good few times in his career and, fingers crossed, looks like he might be doing it again.

Probably enough to compete in this league. But let's not fool ourselves, we ain't got Pep Guardiola in the dugout!

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                Very impressed by plenty of performances and I think Holloway has done a very good job, only issue is the insistence on mackie and Washington up front as we are getting no aerial threat with that despite all the running they do and no finishing quality at the moment (I get people say Washington's is a confidence thing but playing him alongside mackie isn't helping a thing).

The subs yesterday were perfect but Sylla could have started and done the exact same thing he did and made better use of our width than we did in the first half. Other than that, mighty impressed by Mr. Holloway and Bircham.
                If you cannot see why the current front 2 are being picked you don't understand how we are trying to play. Got a feeling the front combination will change depending on how he wants to setup relative to the opposition. We've played 4 teams that like to play it out from the back, the front 2 have been selected to disrupt that

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
                  See I think he is pretty terrible tactically mate.

What Ollie does seem to have a knack for is instilling some team spirit into a group of players, and getting them punching above their weight. He's done it a good few times in his career and, fingers crossed, looks like he might be doing it again.

Probably enough to compete in this league. But let's not fool ourselves, we ain't got Pep Guardiola in the dugout!
                  He does look like the Bristolian version of Pep? Lol

I think he's really good tactically when going in to a game with a game plan, but as soon as something happens that isn't in the game plan i.e. A player sent off on either team then i think he is very limited and relies on the players hard work and effort to see them through
                  My old man never said be a Chelsea fan...

Comment

Originally posted by Hove Ranger View Post
                    If you cannot see why the current front 2 are being picked you don't understand how we are trying to play. Got a feeling the front combination will change depending on how he wants to setup relative to the opposition. We've played 4 teams that like to play it out from the back, the front 2 have been selected to disrupt that
                    I understand it, I just think playing with two small guys up front against Dawson and Hector and then trying to overuse the right wing and cross it isn't the best tactic.
                    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                      I understand it, I just think playing with two small guys up front against Dawson and Hector and then trying to overuse the right wing and cross it isn't the best tactic.
                      I agree that Mackie and Washington are all-out hustlers, and give pace to the offense. If one or both had a goal scorer's touch would be perfectly content starting both every game. Neither has that touch. Smith and Sylla were both terrific yesterday, but having them on the pitch decidedly slows down our pace of play and, so often in the past, rendered us one dimensional. Answer may be to start one of each (Washington with Smith or Sylla, or Mackie with one or the other) until we can get what is truly missing on this squad: a scoring midfielder. IMHO, Freeman is aces up to the final shot at goal as, at times, are Pawel and Luongo. But without that shooting midfielder, the team is left to depend on less-than-prolific goal scoring forwards. What's the answer here?

Comment

Originally posted by Qprtanpa1 View Post
                        I agree that Mackie and Washington are all-out hustlers, and give pace to the offense. If one or both had a goal scorer's touch would be perfectly content starting both every game. Neither has that touch. Smith and Sylla were both terrific yesterday, but having them on the pitch decidedly slows down our pace of play and, so often in the past, rendered us one dimensional. Answer may be to start one of each (Washington with Smith or Sylla, or Mackie with one or the other) until we can get what is truly missing on this squad: a scoring midfielder. IMHO, Freeman is aces up to the final shot at goal as, at times, are Pawel and Luongo. But without that shooting midfielder, the team is left to depend on less-than-prolific goal scoring forwards. What's the answer here?
                        A better pacy striker who can actually finish semi regularly?

Comment

Would be happy with one or the other. The encouraging news here is that this team is playing better than they have for more than year. We may not be finishing chances as we can and should, but the flow of play is more decidedly pro-QPR. Add this player we're talking about, plus another stalwart on the back line, and QPR has the goods to compete this season for (and possibly beyond) the playoffs.

Comment

Wonder if mackie sylla and washington could work.
                            Or smith sylla and washington or mackie.

Comment

Ollie magic = mid-table

Comment

Originally posted by acricketer View Post
                                Ollie magic = mid-table
                                That'll do me.
                                Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
                                Pawel Wszolek - 6
                                Luke Freeman - 6
                                Matt Smith - 6
                                Ebere Eze - 4