Opening game observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening game observations

So 2 wins and 2 clean sheets. Great start.

Reading was about high tempo and on our smaller pitch it's a perfect way of getting about teams, forcing mistakes & causing them problems. Scowen was a very important ingredient who was excellent at breaking up any counter attacks from Reading as a result of us making them have to play on the counter attack. My concerns are that against better sides we need to take more of the chances we created as really Washington should have picked a corner for his first chance and then scored the one on one. Freeman should also have scored his chance, Luongo was unlucky hitting the post. Sylla's second half header was a little high when it reached him so I can forgive him that chance. The score should have been 4 or 5-0 though & against better sides they may have scored before we did after missing chances or equalised when we didn't double our lead until the second half.

Northampton started the game the better side last night and for 15 minutes reminded me of us against Reading. Our change in personnel apart from Onouha and Freeman meant we were a completely different side and one that clearly isn't as good as the Reading starting 11. We grew into the game and Sylla's hold up play meant we got up the pitch and started to take over the game and over the 90 minutes edged out the game and again really should have scored 2-3 more goals. Overall 1-0 was a fair result though.

Things I find myself taking into account as we go forward and questions to put out to the fan base really:

1) How will we cope on a bigger pitch when we play away, do we prepare for it in the same way?
    2) For those that went to both games do you think Furlong's far better attacking play down the right warrants him a place instead of Perch? If so, from an attacking sense, do you think from a defensive point of view it could cause us problems?
    3) How can the coaching staff eliminate our captain making 1 horrendous mistake EVERY game? Apart from these mistakes he's been very good though!
    4) Thoughts on Matt Smith as I for one can't see any benefit of having him even on the bench when we have a fit Sylla, Washington and Mackie

Super point on Ned one mistake a game aside he's fantastic but at this level you can't afford one mistake a game. He gets caught out when he tries to play with the ball so just accept Ned it's not your strength and give it to someone else who can play with it. I think midfielder dropping deep collect ball such as scowen is one option

Comment

Agree definitely

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
        Super point on Ned one mistake a game aside he's fantastic but at this level you can't afford one mistake a game.
        The beauty of the championship is you probably can Different story as we found to our cost in the prem.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Wilson View Post
          The beauty of the championship is you probably can Different story as we found to our cost in the prem.
          Agree with this. The season we went up via the playoffs, we made soooo many mistakes that teams just did not punish. Massive reality check in the Prem. One mistake, goal.

Comment

ned has to learn to do the simple things put it in row z , he has this clumsy look about him at times and u know he's going to mess it up before he does

Comment

Yesterday's was a case of him deciding to play a first time pass that I saw coming and so did the opp player.......

Saturday was the opposite and him dwelling on the ball too long

Comment

In the case of point number 2, perch is likely to be used as a CB in a back three, whereas furlong will be deployed as a RWB whenever he plays in this new system. That being said, I wouldn't start either in our strongest team in this new 3-5-2 set up. If and when we play with 4 defenders in a 442 or 4231 I think furlong offers more offensively, slightly weaker defensively but I believe nedum can come across and clean up any slight mistakes left by furlong, which is why Neds pace is a huge asset. So for me, perch over furlong ( right centre back)unless it is a 4 at the back formation, in which case Darnell plays at right back

Comment

Good start, did think Reading were poor, Northampton was ok did what we needed to do fell at this hurdle many times before, as regards to RB I think Baptiste might end up playing there, Furlong for me jury's still out think he gets caught out of position too much Hall to come back? midfield good first game, think the next few tough games Wed,Hull, Cardiff, will give us an indication of where we are & where we'll be, sadly I don't have much faith in Ollie?

Comment

Started well, got in their faces, won the game, job done

Comment

Originally posted by Jeems View Post
                      Agree with this. The season we went up via the playoffs, we made soooo many mistakes that teams just did not punish. Massive reality check in the Prem. One mistake, goal.
                      ...and of course a Ned mistake nearly lost us the playoff final

Comment

Originally posted by amusant View Post
                        ...and of course a Ned mistake nearly lost us the playoff final
                        Lol. Ned (along with Dunne and Green) was superb that day.
                        You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
                          Lol. Ned (along with Dunne and Green) was superb that day.
                          Yes is true Ned and Co were fantastic but amusant is correct his mistake could have cost us in that game however it is mistakes that do make history and had he not made the mistake, we might well have lost the game :-)

Comment

Working...
                          X