No announcement yet.

Sean Goss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holloway is not techically, tactically capable to recognise, coach a player like Goss and fit someone like him into his team. Same thing happened with Tom Carroll and redcrap. Sometimes it’s simply down to the style of play the manager wants to play.
    "The World is Yours"

Comment

Let's just bear in mind he's playing the equivalent of League 2 football up there (aside from the weeks that Rangers have to play Celtic), before we turn this into another thread solely for the purpose of bashing Ollie.

Personally I'm glad he's gone out on loan. If you look at his record, he's actually had next to no game time. Injuries had prevented him from going out on loan from Man Utd before we signed him. Hopefully he learns a lot up at Rangers, comes back with a bit of confidence, and gives us another option in midfield.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Wilson View Post
        We seem to buy players regardless of whether they fit any position needed and perhaps more to do with future resale value.
        Now that is bang right to what's been going on since the the dof took over , as regards to Holloway wouldn't know a good player if saw one Robinson CB , Luongo now playing better than since he joined us , Scowens Freeman Baptiste doing a good job , yeah that's right these have to be five of our worse the players we have and cause us to lose the few good players we've got

Comment

Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post
          Now that is bang right to what's been going on since the the dof took over , as regards to Holloway wouldn't know a good player if saw one Robinson CB , Luongo now playing better than since he joined us , Scowens Freeman Baptiste doing a good job , yeah that's right these have to be five of our worse the players we have and cause us to lose the few good players we've got
          This is most likely more an issue with the manager than the DoF. The idea of a DoF is to ensure that the club has a particular ethos, style of play etc. and the players signed fit into that style of play, regardless of who the Manager/Head Coach is. Ajax are a perfect example of this. They have a carbon copy formation and style from 1st team down to U12's. Every manager when hired (at any age group) is briefed on how they wish to play and is expected to adhere. This way, the players coming through already know how to play the system before they even reach the first team. Also, it isn't the end of the world if a manager leaves or is sacked, as the rest of the system and infrastructure remains the same, even if there is a managerial change.

The problem comes when you hire a manager that doesn't want to conform, has his own ideas, wants to be given cart blanche to enforce them, and chooses to play in a style of play that the players were not signed for. I'm 100% sure this is what has happened. Les and our scouts have scouted and signed by players with 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 in mind, and Ollie has decided to go a different direction.
          Last edited by Tarbie; 25-01-2018, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Ah but that only applies when the DOF knows how to do the job instead of rack and stack methods , again refer to Brian Wilson's post dated 06_01_2017
            Last edited by dogsrrs; 25-01-2018, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
              This is most likely more an issue with the manager than the DoF. The idea of a DoF is to ensure that the club has a particular ethos, style of play etc. and the players signed fit into that style of play, regardless of who the Manager/Head Coach is. Ajax are a perfect example of this. They have a carbon copy formation and style from 1st team down to U12's. Every manager when hired (at any age group) is briefed on how they wish to play and is expected to adhere. This way, the players coming through already know how to play the system before they even reach the first team. Also, it isn't the end of the world if a manager leaves or is sacked, as the rest of the system and infrastructure remains the same, even if there is a managerial change.

The problem comes when you hire a manager that doesn't want to conform, has his own ideas, wants to be given cart blanche to enforce them, and chooses to play in a style of play that the players were not signed for. I'm 100% sure this is what has happened. Les and our scouts have scouted and signed by players with 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 in mind, and Ollie has decided to go a different direction.
              Was discussing the points you have made here with Westy recently (I'm not a fan of a DOF at a club like ours, he is. I prefer a strong manager) and, like I said to him, you are almost making the case for Ramsey to get his job back.

Comment

Agree with this in principle and fan of DoF role. However we are not Ajax so I suspect the reality is we have a partway measure rather than an overall philosophy.

Comment

Alleluia some one eventually gets it and good summary

Comment

Originally posted by Alanwycombe View Post
                    Was discussing the points you have made here with Westy recently (I'm not a fan of a DOF at a club like ours, he is. I prefer a strong manager) and, like I said to him, you are almost making the case for Ramsey to get his job back.
                    Yeah, I think you're probably right mate. A club like ours certainly doesn't need as rigid an interpretation of the DoF system as I described above. But you need to bear in mind the 2 managers we'd had before Les came in. Both wasted huge amounts of money on players. Then you have the changes in coaching staff that happened with every managerial change as well.

I'm certain the reason Tony went down the route of appointing a DoF was to prevent the same cycle of new managers coming in and expecting change from top to bottom.
                    Last edited by Tarbie; 26-01-2018, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                      Alleluia some one eventually gets it and good summary
                      Doesn't work though, look at us for the example.

Comment

Yeah, I think you're probably right mate. A club like ours certainly doesn't need as rigid an interpretation of the DoF system as I described above. But you need to bear in mind the 2 managers we'd had before Les came in. Both wasted huge amounts of money on players. Then you have the changes in coaching staff that happened with every managerial change as well.

I'm certain the reason Tony went down the route of appointing a DoF was to prevent the same cycle of new managers coming in and expecting change from top to bottom.
                        I get it about spending sums of money and the DOF can restrain that but why shouldn't a new man bring in his own players? He's got the job because it wasn't working before. More of the same will continue to fail.

Comment

I get it about spending sums of money and the DOF can restrain that but why shouldn't a new man bring in his own players? He's got the job because it wasn't working before. More of the same will continue to fail.
                          Problem is these days a manager is lucky to last 2 seasons. Can't be changing all the players and back room staff every year or 2 in my opinion.

Comment

Doesn't work though, look at us for the example.
                            Obviously because spending £8mil on Mutch £8mil On Fer £10mil on Caulker and £6mil on a keeper in McCarthy then getting shot of all of them after 12months bar one who instead never played is a far better idea.

Football has changed transfer fees are too expensive now to ship out one managers players and transform the team every time manager changes. Football of the 60/70/80 and part of the 90s has gone

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                              Obviously because spending £8mil on Mutch £8mil On Fer £10mil on Caulker and £6mil on a keeper in McCarthy then getting shot of all of them after 12months bar one who instead never played is a far better idea.

Football has changed transfer fees are too expensive now to ship out one managers players and transform the team every time manager changes. Football of the 60/70/80 and part of the 90s has gone
                              Said above that I get a DOF can restrain the spending but can't see how we'll ever get a decent manager on the basis that DOF signs the players but takes no responsibility for getting it wrong if the manager can't fashion a good side from what he's given. I agree you can't change all the back room staff but there seems to be a start of new managers prepared to work with encumbents - Kidd still at City, Appleton at Leicester for example.

Comment

Getting bored with Goss on my Newsome feed 24/7 about how wonderful everything in Glasgow is. Rangers just another crap team in a crap league
                                Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

Working...
                                X