Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
    Good summary of it here Tarbie:

"Regressive left" (also formulated as "regressive liberals" and "regressive leftists") is a political epithet, used as a pejorative to describe a section of left-wing politics who are accused of paradoxically holding reactionary views by their tolerance of illiberal principles and ideologies, particularly tolerance of Islamism, for the sake of multiculturalism and cultural relativism.

British anti-Islamism activist Maajid Nawaz used the term in 2012 in his memoir Radical: My Journey out of Islamist Extremism to describe "well-meaning liberals and ideologically driven leftists" in the United Kingdom who naïvely and "ignorantly pandered to" Islamists and helped Islamist ideology to gain acceptance. In a 2015 video presentation on the Internet forum Big Think, Nawaz elaborated on the meaning of the term, saying that it describes "a section of the left" that has "an inherent hesitation to challenge some of the bigotry that can occur within minority communities ... for the sake of political correctness, for the sake of tolerating what they believe is other cultures and respecting different lifestyles".

Political talk-show hosts such as Bill Maher and Dave Rubin, as well as New Atheist writers like Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins, are among those who have used the term.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regressive_left

Sometimes I think they are just as much part of the problem.
    Richard Dawkins is something of a hero of mine. I think if everyone looked at the world through his perspective, we'd all live much happier, more peaceful lives!

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
      Richard Dawkins is something of a hero of mine. I think if everyone looked at the world through his perspective, we'd all live much happier, more peaceful lives!
      with bells on. Loved all of Dawkins' books.

Comment

The God Delusion is a complete must read for anyone who rejects religion. However I'm a bit confused on here by those singling out Islam as a religion. Surely if you reject the idiotic premise of a superior being, then one is as bad as another? Every religion in history (except Buddhists, as far as I know) has killed or at least been hostile to those who disagreed to them. Some islamists are doing it at the moment but every religion has history in this respect. The sooner the world is a secular place the better!

Comment

Originally posted by easthertsr View Post
          The God Delusion is a complete must read for anyone who rejects religion. However I'm a bit confused on here by those singling out Islam as a religion. Surely if you reject the idiotic premise of a superior being, then one is as bad as another? Every religion in history (except Buddhists, as far as I know) has killed or at least been hostile to those who disagreed to them. Some islamists are doing it at the moment but every religion has history in this respect. The sooner the world is a secular place the better!
          I reject religion but respect every other persons right to believe what they want.

As long as it doesn't influence politics and isn't taught as fact in schools, let people get on with believing whatever they want to believe, even if I do personally think it's ridiculous!

Comment

Originally posted by easthertsr View Post
            Islam is the only religion that actually instructs in their holy books ( Koran and the hadiths ) their followers to be hostile/violent to non muslims . When violence has been carried out by other religions it has been done by wicked men using religion as the excuse , when muslims carry out violence they are following clear instructions from their religion , anyone who thinks Islam is a religion of peace is either deluded or is plain lying .
            Rangers,Scooters ,Tunes and Trainers

Comment

Working...
            X