Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 60 of 60

Thread: Midfield 3 immense.

  1. #46

    Default

    Originally Posted by nasser95
    Took 4 players out of the game with one turn early on in the match. He's also oddly one of our better players in the air despite his size. Good to see him working on his physicality to accompany his skill.
    He is a far better midfielder when he has someone else in midfield to protect the back four because he can be more creative and get into scoring positions ( although he does need to improve on his finishing).

  2. #47

    Default

    Originally Posted by stanistheman
    He is a far better midfielder when he has someone else in midfield to protect the back four because he can be more creative and get into scoring positions ( although he does need to improve on his finishing).
    The bloke hit the post and was desperately unlucky not to score from that situation. In the same game, Luke Freeman smashed it wide from the edge of the box when it was easier to hit the target and Washington missed the goal itself in a one on one situation. On a relative scale, his finishing is not something to be concerned about imo.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane


  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Beverly Hills
    Posts
    3,736

    Default

    Originally Posted by stanistheman
    The 1st half QPR should have killed the game off, but as I recall the 2nd half was not of the same quality and Leeds' new striker had a couple of good chances to equalise including a 1 on 1 with the keeper.

    QPR's first real 2nd half attack was winning the penalty and then added a stoppage time 3rd.
    Well Stanis, you will certainly never be accused of wearing the old rose tinted glasses - We had 8 shots on target to 0 btw - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36934928
    "When you look annoyed all the time, people think you're busy"

  4. #49

    Default

    Originally Posted by nasser95
    The bloke hit the post and was desperately unlucky not to score from that situation. In the same game, Luke Freeman smashed it wide from the edge of the box when it was easier to hit the target and Washington missed the goal itself in a one on one situation. On a relative scale, his finishing is not something to be concerned about imo.
    even though he hasnt scored for us either in preseason and now his shooting boots definetly look like theyve been laced up which is good. hes defo looked way more attacking too whivh is what hes good at, being that guy to drive the ball forward. didnt like him as a holding midfielder for us at all though, but it might do us a world of good as we have someone who understands defensive and offensive responsibilities

  5. Default

    Originally Posted by nasser95
    Luongo for me was on another level creatively today, having Scowen in that side meant he could push up and it gave him and Freeman so much space to work with. All 3 were fantastic today alongside Wszolek for me. As has been said, we still have Ariel and Manning who are ready to come in too.
    Don't see any mention of the word before? also you maybe think I've not seen enough of him, well I've seen plenty do all home and most of the away games. I actually think there might be a descent player in there somewhere, when he stops going missing in games, but he as of yet to prove it? maybe if you didn't have a rose tinted glasses view of him, you may see the bigger picture, I know you use stats to back you up, but stats can be made to make anyone look good, I'd say remove those glasses and look at the game as a bigger picture, mind you, .....you could be Mass in disguise ?????

  6. #51

    Default

    Originally Posted by dave58
    Don't see any mention of the word before? also you maybe think I've not seen enough of him, well I've seen plenty do all home and most of the away games. I actually think there might be a descent player in there somewhere, when he stops going missing in games, but he as of yet to prove it? maybe if you didn't have a rose tinted glasses view of him, you may see the bigger picture, I know you use stats to back you up, but stats can be made to make anyone look good, I'd say remove those glasses and look at the game as a bigger picture, mind you, .....you could be Mass in disguise ?????
    perhaps reading the rest of the thread would aid in your seeing things (perhaps even more specifically #27). Rose tinted view? Buddy the guy has been ranked by sky as one of the best players in the league at the end of last season if I recall correctly but apparently I'm the one with rose tinted specs? We'll see at the end of the season but we're lucky to have the kid playing for us and when he's not playing, it'll certainly be noticeable and in a less than positive way.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane


  7. #52

    Default

    Originally Posted by nasser95
    The bloke hit the post and was desperately unlucky not to score from that situation. In the same game, Luke Freeman smashed it wide from the edge of the box when it was easier to hit the target and Washington missed the goal itself in a one on one situation. On a relative scale, his finishing is not something to be concerned about imo.
    I wasn't referring to last night though, but his finishing in the previous 2 seasons where he's had dozens of attempts at goal.

  8. #53

    Default

    Originally Posted by Brian Wilson
    Well Stanis, you will certainly never be accused of wearing the old rose tinted glasses - We had 8 shots on target to 0 btw - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36934928
    Well Brian, perhaps you would also like to read my post again that I said the 1st half was all QPR, but the 2nd was far from comfortable. The Leeds striker had a couple of great chances, but failed to test Smithies.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Beverly Hills
    Posts
    3,736

    Default

    Originally Posted by stanistheman
    Well Brian, perhaps you would also like to read my post again that I said the 1st half was all QPR, but the 2nd was far from comfortable. The Leeds striker had a couple of great chances, but failed to test Smithies.
    You said the result "flattered" us. That's all I was replying to.
    "When you look annoyed all the time, people think you're busy"

  10. Default

    Originally Posted by nasser95
    perhaps reading the rest of the thread would aid in your seeing things (perhaps even more specifically #27). Rose tinted view? Buddy the guy has been ranked by sky as one of the best players in the league at the end of last season if I recall correctly but apparently I'm the one with rose tinted specs? We'll see at the end of the season but we're lucky to have the kid playing for us and when he's not playing, it'll certainly be noticeable and in a less than positive way.


    wasn't evident last year
    We'll see indeed, as I say stats can make anyone look good, bigger picture was he wasn't great, I hope there's a player in there but got to do a lot more than what he did last year, star being influential and not go missing in games as he did many times last year

  11. #56

    Default

    Originally Posted by dave58
    [/B]

    wasn't evident last year
    We'll see indeed, as I say stats can make anyone look good, bigger picture was he wasn't great, I hope there's a player in there but got to do a lot more than what he did last year, star being influential and not go missing in games as he did many times last year
    Be more influential than producing the second most tackles per game of anyone in the league (only barely behind David Vaughan)? and producing the ninth most dribbles of anyone in the league? Last season he played in a deep role and wasn't exactly let loose to create offensively yet he still produced one key pass a game. It isn't exactly his fault that the only striker who could finish was Sylla. Fingers crossed that he'll do even more this season with Scowen helping out with some of the defensive duties, but to say he wasn't influential is just ignoring the key facts.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane


  12. Default

    stats stats open you eyes do they tell you how many times he gives the ball away how many bad passes players make ,how many tomes they make the wrong choice , as I've said before stats can make anyone look good that's why they're used, He's started well but 2 games don't make him the be all and end all as you see him? lots more to do? as you've forgotten that football is all about opinions, not just yours
    Last edited by dave58; 14-08-2017 at 08:49 AM.

  13. #58

    Default

    Originally Posted by dave58
    stats stats open you eyes do they tell you how many times he gives the ball away how many bad passes players make ,how many tomes they make the wrong choice , as I've said before stats can make anyone look good that's why they're used, He's started well but 2 games don't make him the be all and end all as you see him? lots more to do? as you've forgotten that football is all about opinions, not just yours
    actually they do, he's given the ball away 6 times in those two matches and for comparison, Freeman has given it away 13 times, wszolek 8, mackie 11, washington 7.

    As for how many bad passes, he's played a total of 20 bad passes out of the 80 attempted. By comparison, freeman has 13 bad out of 77 attempted, Perch has misplaced 25 out of 75 attempted.

    As for how many times they make the wrong choice, well that's very opinion based as to what the wrong choice is but the facts are simple. His passing is fine but nothing special, what is special is his defensive workrate, his aerial ability and his dribbling. No one at the club is as well rounded as he is. Freeman may be better in the final third and Scowen may be as good defensively, but no one can do both sides of it like him and there are frankly very few in the league who are close to him on both aspects of his game.

    And I haven't been saying this regarding 2 games, I've been saying it for 2 years and 2 games. My opinion is pretty obviously the one I hold and yours is the one you hold, you cannot discount my opinions as I can't discount yours, I only choose to back mine up with facts because they are available and I have nothing to hide behind. But hey, go ahead and say I don't care about others opinions, logical people here are fully aware that's not the case, you're more than welcome to still use it as your argument.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane


  14. Default

    Originally Posted by nasser95
    perhaps reading the rest of the thread would aid in your seeing things (perhaps even more specifically #27). Rose tinted view? Buddy the guy has been ranked by sky as one of the best players in the league at the end of last season if I recall correctly but apparently I'm the one with rose tinted specs? We'll see at the end of the season but we're lucky to have the kid playing for us and when he's not playing, it'll certainly be noticeable and in a less than positive way.
    As I say stats can make anyone look good or bad in any context you wish to use them including Teresa May & Jeremy Corbyn that's why they're used
    eyes wide open ??? and opinions

  15. Default

    Originally Posted by stanistheman
    He is a far better midfielder when he has someone else in midfield to protect the back four because he can be more creative and get into scoring positions.
    Absolutely spot on.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •